Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ron Gardenhire next Tigers Manager

You're kidding right? Did you just pick guys you like who had good careers and assume they'll be good? I'll take a guy that has been good, Gardenhire over this bunch.

Though I am curious what makes you think Guillen would be a better manager?

I picked them b/c each one has a particular skill and talent (as well as a wealth of experience) that they possess which could be beneficial to a young team, and I shouldn't have to describe what they are, since it should be obvious. And no, it wasn't b/c I liked them. I also knew beforehand that you would disagree, no matter who I listed, b/c thats most often what you are known for doing here on DSF.

Last edited:
I like the Gardenhire hire :). He has had success taking a team with low expectations and bringing out the best in them. Sure, the last few years in Minnesota didn't go too well, but few if any managers could have done better, IMO.

He usually get's the most out of the players he's given, which is good considering the lack of talent on the roster... unless we want to play the tanking game for a season to get another top pick.

If you think about it, this is the ceiling, as far as experienced managers go, for who we could even get to come in and preside over a rebuild. How many top flight managers want to go through that!?! Sure, we could have rolled the dice again on an inexperienced guy, but that was not what Avilla wanted to do, for obvious reasons. So, if we look at it from the perspective of our management, getting a guy of Gardenhire's level is a big win. Given their strategy, Gardenhire is as good as it gets!

JMO

Last edited:
I picked them b/c each one has a particular skill and talent (as well as a wealth of experience) that they possess which could be beneficial to a young team, and I shouldn't have to describe what they are, since it should be obvious. And no, it wasn't b/c I liked them. I also knew beforehand that you would disagree, no matter who I listed, b/c thats most often what you are known for doing here on DSF.

That last statement is BS.

My dream team manager/coaching staff:

Carlos Guillen-Manager

Sean Casey-Bench

Kenny Rogers-Pitching

Todd Jones-Bullpen

Magglio Ordonez-Batting

Gary Sheffield-First Base

Placido Polanco-Third Base

Ivan Rodriguez-Defense

I did a quick google search. The only one in the group that has any experience is Todd Jones as a pitching coach with the Tigers in 2010. Just because a player had some success on the field doesn't mean they could do anything as a coach or manager.

Gardennhire is going to be managing a Tigers team with very low, if any expectations of success. If they perform poorly, its b/c of less talent and experience, but if they perform somewhat better than expected, like losing less than 90 games, then he will get the credit.

win-win...@ least for the rest of this decade.

I did a quick google search. The only one in the group that has any experience is Todd Jones as a pitching coach with the Tigers in 2010. Just because a player had some success on the field doesn't mean they could do anything as a coach or manager.

It was just freaking hyperbole, as the odds of even one of my picks as coaches by any new Tigers manager are beyond astronomical.

I would also welcome any former player from any other team(s) in any one of those coaching positions who are the equal or better than those who I posted.

McClendon (career WAR -0.5) was a mediocre hitter @ best when he played, so what qualified him to be a good hitting coach? Why aren't more catchers the best hitters, since they see (and catch) pitchers' pitches of most every kind much more than any other position?

Last edited:
I like the Gardenhire hire :). He has had success taking a team with low expectations and bringing out the best in them. Sure, the last few years in Minnesota didn't go too well, but few if any managers could have done better, IMO.

He usually get's the most out of the players he's given, which is good considering the lack of talent on the roster... unless we want to play the tanking game for a season to get another top pick.

If you think about it, this is the ceiling, as far as experienced managers go, for who we could even get to come in and preside over a rebuild. How many top flight managers want to go through that!?! Sure, we could have rolled the dice again on an inexperienced guy, but that was not what Avilla wanted to do, for obvious reasons. So, if we look at it from the perspective of our management, getting a guy of Gardenhire's level is a big win. Given their strategy, Gardenhire is as good as it gets!

JMO

Apparently Gardy is no Sparky, b/c the Tigers could have had him after the '14 season by firing Ausmus, like they did to Les Moss a third of the way through the '79 season, who unlike Brad, had great success @ the minor league level, and some in the bigs as well.

Last edited:
Gardennhire is going to be managing a Tigers team with very low, if any expectations of success. If they perform poorly, its b/c of less talent and experience, but if they perform somewhat better than expected, like losing less than 90 games, then he will get the credit.

win-win...@ least for the rest of this decade.

it was pretty smart of him to take the job...free money. It's not like there were teams beating down his door over the past few years.

it was pretty smart of him to take the job...free money. It's not like there were teams beating down his door over the past few years.

A no-brainer, and although I am not so enamored of Gardenvarietyhire as some here, I hope that he surpasses my no expectations.

Only a brain dead fool would hire a manager with 383 losses in his last 4 years of managing. I always hated Gardenhire with a passion.

What the hell is wrong with Al Avila's mind? OMG I am so mad and frustrated with this team. They might only win 20 games this year..........uggggg WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always liked Gardy. I wish Brad never got the gig four years ago. Back then I wanted Torey Lovullo and I'm not sure Dombrowski even bothered to interview him.

Last edited:
I always liked Gardy. I wish Brad never got the gig four years ago. Back then I wanted Torey Lovullo and I'm not sure Dombrowski even bothered to interview him.

I guess it doesn't matter who the manager is now. The team will be lucky to win 65 games

Tigers could improve by ~20 games this season, only to regress in losing 100 or more in '21. Gardenhire is likely going to be retained/extended as Tigers manager for a couple more years, then after the '22 season, be replaced. As long as Ilitch/Avila are going to roll the dice on one-season FAs to plug holes, the odds of getting burned like last season will continue to be a factor. As well as the fact that IF any of their offseason signings perform well enough, they will wind up being traded in for prospects @ the deadline anyway.

Last edited:
Tigers could improve by ~20 games this season, only to regress in losing 100 or more in '21. Gardenhire is likely going to be retained/extended as Tigers manager for a couple more years, then after the '22 season, be replaced. As long as Ilitch/Avila are going to roll the dice on one-season FAs to plug holes, the odds of getting burned like last season will continue to be a factor. As well as the fact that IF any of their offseason signings perform well enough, they will wind up being traded in for prospects @ the deadline anyway.

True. Fact is that a team that goes 47-114 has nowhere to go but up. The Tigers could improve by 20 games this season (2020).
With that said, I certainly do not see another 100 loss season any time soon.
Thus, they could also improve again by another 10 games in '21 and still be 8 games under .500 at 77-85.

Improvement to .500 baseball in '22 would mean 34 game improvement from '19. And I see no good reason not to expect .500 or better for 2022.

True. Fact is that a team that goes 47-114 has nowhere to go but up. The Tigers could improve by 20 games this season (2020).
With that said, I certainly do not see another 100 loss season any time soon.
Thus, they could also improve again by another 10 games in '21 and still be 8 games under .500 at 77-85.

Improvement to .500 baseball in '22 would mean 34 game improvement from '19. And I see no good reason not to expect .500 or better for 2022.

I don't know...I can see another 100 loss season this year.

Back