Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ebron

What should we do with Ebron

• Keep him, let him play

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Bench him

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Trade him

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Cut him

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Might be a bit low

Just for a quick comparison, PFF grades Ebron #12 for the year and $6-7 mil would put him around 15th highest salary. Unless he?s willing to take a loyalty discount, I?m guessing he?ll want more.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/eric-ebron/8645

Going to be a tough call I think, his recent play combined with the lack of good replacement options on this team will force them into re-signing, going elsewhere in FA, or spending a pick.

With his option picked up for 2018, this is a good opportunity to wait and see if he?s improving. If there is a coaching regime change this offseason or next, I think they should leave it up to them to decide if he fits the system or not.

I know TE don't get paid like some other position but if Ebron gets 7m, when Gronk only gets 9m - something wrong with that.

I know TE don't get paid like some other position but if Ebron gets 7m, when Gronk only gets 9m - something wrong with that.

To be fair, his contract was extended back in 2012 so it?s a bit outdated, he was the highest paid at the time.

To be fair, his contract was extended back in 2012 so it?s a bit outdated, he was the highest paid at the time.

Still. No TE makes 10m and he might get more but he won't be much more. Ebron is worth 3m. Maybe.

Still. No TE makes 10m and he might get more but he won't be much more. Ebron is worth 3m. Maybe.

3 millilion puts him around 26th highest paid TE, I don?t think he?s that low. 15th puts him at about 6 million, which I think is reasonable. Take whatever is reasonable and add 1-2 million and there you go. Unless he completely shits the bed next season, he?ll get north of 6.

3 millilion puts him around 26th highest paid TE, I don?t think he?s that low. 15th puts him at about 6 million, which I think is reasonable. Take whatever is reasonable and add 1-2 million and there you go. Unless he completely shits the bed next season, he?ll get north of 6.

Imo, I think he's closer to 26th than 15th. Though to fair I'm not sure there's much difference between 15th and 26th.

Ebron is the 28th highest paid TE currently in average

Playin top 10 in 2016 and 15th in 2017 (and only getting better)

Ebron is the 28th highest paid TE currently in average

Playin top 10 in 2016 and 15th in 2017 (and only getting better)

because he is one dimensional his value goes down. I could see paying him the money if he could block...but he can't. Might as well get another WR since that's all he is.

because he is one dimensional his value goes down. I could see paying him the money if he could block...but he can't. Might as well get another WR since that's all he is.

Most good receiving TEs can't one block well.

Ebron is a good weapon and is getting better.

We'll see if Quinn keeps the option. They have the cap room to keep him easily if they want to play out that one year.

Imo, I think he's closer to 26th than 15th. Though to fair I'm not sure there's much difference between 15th and 26th.

I think you?re overestimating the position. The depth of talent is not that great right now...there?s a few elite guys, a handful of good ones, then the rest. That alone will inflate his value. You should see what some of the other teams are running out there, someone?s gonna pay for Ebron.

I think you?re overestimating the position. The depth of talent is not that great right now...there?s a few elite guys, a handful of good ones, then the rest. That alone will inflate his value. You should see what some of the other teams are running out there, someone?s gonna pay for Ebron.

I really think he is in "the rest" category. The Lions offense can be just as effective without him. Invest in the defense.

I think Ebron is in the "then the rest" category. He is not in a good category. Most of the season he is non existent. He's like 18th in TE for TD's. And he can't block..

I agree with tom on this just get another receiver..

I think Ebron is in the "then the rest" category. He is not in a good category. Most of the season he is non existent. He's like 18th in TE for TD's. And he can't block..

I agree with tom on this just get another receiver..

I don?t disagree, I?m just saying that it?s going to cost the Lions to keep Ebron because he will have a fairly high price tag if he?s decent next season. I think they could get an adequate replacement for cheaper (hell, some even thought Fells was better earlier this season). It?s not like they risk losing Travis Kelce or something, Ebron isn?t anything special.

This is interesting off of twitter;
#NFL TEs w/ more drops than #Lions TE Eric Ebron (PER FOX SPORTS):

Jimmy Graham
Travis Kelce
Evan Engram
George Kittle
Marcedes Lewis
Jared Cook

TEs w/ same amount of drops:

Rob Gronkowski
Delanie Walker
Martellus Bennett
David Njoku
Vernon Davis
Cameron Brate
AND 8 others...

This is interesting off of twitter;
#NFL TEs w/ more drops than #Lions TE Eric Ebron (PER FOX SPORTS):

Jimmy Graham
Travis Kelce
Evan Engram
George Kittle
Marcedes Lewis
Jared Cook

Rob Gronkowski
Delanie Walker
Martellus Bennett
David Njoku
Vernon Davis
Cameron Brate
AND 8 others...

Percentages based on targets would be more telling. I imagine he still wasn't the worst. Did much better down the stretch.

I know this is a completely subjective comment, but Ebron's drops ALWAYS feel like they came at the worst possible time. End zone, 3rd down, whatever. His are just seemingly game changing every time.

Those guys on the same amount of drops categories like Gronk just do so much more and make such bigger plays.

There are only two teams with less drops than the lions this year. Which is a remarkable improvement compared to last year.

I forget which game it was but his fumble that the guy knocked out from behind was a back breaker... I'm with yall, he's been a lot better this year especially down the stretch but damn the drops and mistakes he has always come at the worst possible times.

Percentages based on targets would be more telling. I imagine he still wasn't the worst. Did much better down the stretch.

Jimmy Graham (90 targets, 7.8%)
Travis Kelce (122 targets, 4.1%)
Evan Engram (115 targets, 4.3%)
George Kittle (57 targets, 8.8%)
Marcedes Lewis (45 targets, 8.9%)
Jared Cook (82 targets, 4.9%)

Rob Gronkowski (105 targets, 2.9%)
Delanie Walker (106 targets, 2.8%)
Martellus Bennett (44 targets, 6.8%)
David Njoku (57 targets, 5.3%)
Vernon Davis (66 targets, 4.5%)