Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Corporations may get permanent Tax cuts

Publication date 1997. I think we saw this once before .. try again .

Again dude, you're factually incorrect - as I pointed out before, the study cites The Drudge Report as having been established in 1997. The study is from within about a year or so ago.

EDIT: Last update November 21, 2017.

The headline I see is "what is Fake News?"

Who the fuck was talking about Fake News in 1997?

2nd EDIT: Oh, and it cites a paper written by the two ultra right wing philosophers Edward Herrman and Noam Chomsky that was published in 1997.

Last edited:
Publication date 1997. I think we saw this once before .. try again .

if this was true (as Tinsel points out, it's not) it would be important to note because they have all become more much conservative/right-leaning since 1997. universities have too. /s

Last edited:
I can see with my own eyes. You guys blast all of those so called lefty publications and or news outlets but never blast Fox news, and how they influence our idiot president.

Fox news is so far right, and seen by more then any other cable news network it feels like. They are so far up the Gop's asses it's probably criminal. When historians analyze this time period 100 to 500 years from now they will laugh at how gullible some were.

I would prefer news outlets to get out of politics, and just report the facts but that just seems to hard to do for all news networks to do both left or right.

I can see with my own eyes. You guys blast all of those so called lefty publications and or news outlets but never blast Fox news, and how they influence our idiot president.

In post #142 I specifically stated the Michigan study puts Fox News to the right of center, based on the criteria it uses.

It puts Fox News substantially to the right, and Mother Jones substantially to the left.

I doubt this surprises anyone.

I don't know what more you want.

Fox news is so far right, and seen by more then any other cable news network it feels like. They are so far up the Gop's asses it's probably criminal. When historians analyze this time period 100 to 500 years from now they will laugh at how gullible some were.

I would prefer news outlets to get out of politics, and just report the facts but that just seems to hard to do for all news networks to do both left or right.

Fox News has successfully defended itself in court as being an "entertainment" network. The FCC voted to eliminate the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, thereby enabling TV and radio networks to broadcast falsehoods as equally as facts with impunity. The novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" was off by merely 3 years.

I rely more upon international networks for national news, since the corporate-owned news networks here are motivated by what news is most profitable for them, which most often means that which is controversial, not what is necessarily factual.

Last edited:

Its probably criminal? you're loonier than I thought - that is absurd. but I'm not critical of Fox news because I don't watch it. I doubt you do either but I have a standard that precludes me from criticizing something I don't watch. If I watch TV news it's mostly CNN, MSNBC and a few others on the left. I don't listen to talk radio except the FAN, a sports station and I don't read Breitbart. I do read Drudge and some articles on Daily Wire - mostly the stuff written by Ben Shapiro.

Last edited:
Fox News has successfully defended itself in court as being an "entertainment" network. The FCC voted to eliminate the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, thereby enabling TV and radio networks to broadcast falsehoods as equally as facts with impunity.

No cable/satellite network has ever broadcast a single truth, nor a single falsehood.

The FCC was established in 1933 under the Federal Communications Act. It was specifically initiated to regulate the relatively new media of radio and television, which, at the time, required the use of what was viewed as a "scarce public resource;" i.e., the airwave frequencies, for broadcasters to operate.

Because the limited public broadcasting licenses could be utilized to make substantial profits, it was accepted that broadcast licensees were obligated to operate to a certain degree in the public interest; The Fairness Doctrine established in 1949 represents probably best known regulation in that interest. Basically, it required broadcasters to allow opposing views when controversial issues were reported on in a broadcast.

The expansion of satellite/cable technology provided probably the primary justification for the revocation The Fairness Doctrine, as it substantially expanded the opportunity for views to be voiced in the marketplace of ideas.

I don't believe there is a single record of the FCC ever attempting to invoke the Fairness Doctrine on a cable/satellite network; I don't think it would have had the legal regulatory authority.

It's not true that falsehoods can be broadcast with impunity however; probably the most prominent case is that of Brian Williams. Once it was discovered that Williams had fabricated stories of so-called heroics, the network came under great pressure from broadcast affiliate owners to dismiss him, fearing his staying on could lead to the jeopardizing of their broadcast licenses.

I have not heard of nor have I found anything about the Fox News Network ever defending itself in court as an "entertainment" network.

Back