Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

While it's important to evaluate Quinn in a vacuum, I think we should also look at how he's done comparatively with other new GMs hired in the same off-season. Timing is not always taken into account, sometimes it's a matter of who's available and when. Obviously there's a lot more that can be looked into (i.e. success of draft picks, signings, and trades), but here are the basics:

Cleveland - Sashi Brown (promoted within)

2015 record: 3-13
2016-17 record: 1-31 (fired prior to the end of 17, so probably a few less losses)

Miami - Chris Grier

2015 record: 6-10
2016-17 record: 16-16 (0-1 playoffs, lost in 2016 playoffs WC round, missed 2017 playoffs)

Tennessee - Jon Robinson

2016-17 record: 18-14 (1-1 playoffs, missed 2016 playoffs, won WC round & lost Div round in 2017 playoffs)

Detroit - Bob Quinn

2015 record: 7-9
2016-17 record: 18-14 (0-1 playoffs, lost in 2016 playoffs WC round, missed 2017 playoffs)

Quinn probably came into the best situation, but is also the only GM hired in 2016 without a new head coach. I'm interested to see how Quinn looks with his own head coach, I feel like this is more of a true start for a new regime. Regardless, I think Quinn's fate will be tied to Patricia, either they win or they're both gone.

I think Quinn has done a good job and I do think we are more talented than when he took over. Part of the issue last year was injuries along both lines. Did we ever have the OL intact? And the DL was banged up all year and still finished 1 yard out of the playoffs

I think Quinn has done a good job and I do think we are more talented than when he took over. Part of the issue last year was injuries along both lines. Did we ever have the OL intact? And the DL was banged up all year and still finished 1 yard out of the playoffs

The only reason we had a chance was because AR got hurt.

Last edited:
The only reason we had a chance was because AR got hurt.

while I agree the AR injury played a role the Pack are not near as dominate as they were. They are basically the same team from 5 years ago and they are all getting old

Split Vikings, split Pack with Rodgers back, sweep Bears. So 4-2 division
Win 3 of 4 against AFC East (at Buf, at Mia, NYJ in Det, NE in Det)
Split Carolina/at Dallas
Win 3 of 4 against NFC West (at Zona, at SF, LARams in Det, Seattle in Det)

11 wins. 4-2 division. 8-4 conference. Lions talent is there and other teams have plenty of issues. Getting Seattle, Carolina, Pats and Rams all in Detroit is huge.

while I agree the AR injury played a role the Pack are not near as dominate as they were. They are basically the same team from 5 years ago and they are all getting old

Regardless they're still better than us. With AR they win at least 10 games.

Split Vikings, split Pack with Rodgers back, sweep Bears. So 4-2 division
Win 3 of 4 against AFC East (at Buf, at Mia, NYJ in Det, NE in Det)
Split Carolina/at Dallas
Win 3 of 4 against NFC West (at Zona, at SF, LARams in Det, Seattle in Det)

11 wins. 4-2 division. 8-4 conference. Lions talent is there and other teams have plenty of issues. Getting Seattle, Carolina, Pats and Rams all in Detroit is huge.

this team has a lot of work to do to get to double-digit wins. Unless they hit some HRs in FA and the draft it will likely be another 8 or 9 win team

While it's important to evaluate Quinn in a vacuum, I think we should also look at how he's done comparatively with other new GMs hired in the same off-season. Timing is not always taken into account, sometimes it's a matter of who's available and when. Obviously there's a lot more that can be looked into (i.e. success of draft picks, signings, and trades), but here are the basics:

Cleveland - Sashi Brown (promoted within)

2016-17 record: 1-31 (fired prior to the end of 17, so probably a few less losses)

Miami - Chris Grier

2015 record: 6-10
2016-17 record: 16-16 (0-1 playoffs, lost in 2016 playoffs WC round, missed 2017 playoffs)

Tennessee - Jon Robinson

2016-17 record: 18-14 (1-1 playoffs, missed 2016 playoffs, won WC round & lost Div round in 2017 playoffs)

Detroit - Bob Quinn

2015 record: 7-9
2016-17 record: 18-14 (0-1 playoffs, lost in 2016 playoffs WC round, missed 2017 playoffs)

Quinn probably came into the best situation, but is also the only GM hired in 2016 without a new head coach. I'm interested to see how Quinn looks with his own head coach, I feel like this is more of a true start for a new regime. Regardless, I think Quinn's fate will be tied to Patricia, either they win or they're both gone.

I don't mind Quinn but our previous GM was 18-14 his past two years. 1 playoff loss. The team has not improved.

Last edited:
this team has a lot of work to do to get to double-digit wins. Unless they hit some HRs in FA and the draft it will likely be another 8 or 9 win team

They don't need home runs. Just some tweaks on Dline and run game. Passing game is great, coverage/secondary is good, LBs are young talent growing and ST is good. QB is great. They had 11 win talent this year and the injury bug hit hard in certain areas.

Eagles or Vikings lose their Dline to injury like the Lions did. 8 or 9 win team for them too. Kudos to them for having good backup QBs though.

Give me the same roster as last year with healthy Ngata, Hyder, Hill and Ansah and Lions win 11.

Last edited:
They don't need home runs. Just some tweaks on Dline and run game. Passing game is great, coverage/secondary is good, LBs are young talent growing and ST is good. QB is great. They had 11 win talent this year and the injury bug hit hard in certain areas.

Eagles or Vikings lose their Dline to injury like the Lions did. 8 or 9 win team for them too. Kudos to them for having good backup QBs though.

Give me the same roster as last year with healthy Ngata, Hyder, Hill and Ansah and Lions win 11.

Are you talking about Jordan hill? I literally had to look up who you might be referring to cause he's such a no body.

Alot of potential + 500 teams on next year's schedule. Stafford simply doesnt beat that many +.500 teams. Need to fill about 4 holes on defense to have a chance.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Jordan hill? I literally had to look up who you might be referring to cause he's such a no body.

Alot of potential + 500 teams on next year's schedule. Stafford simply doesnt beat that many +.500 teams. Need to fill about 4 holes on defense to have a chance.

come on man...the team is holeless! :tup:

Hill is a 3rd round pick. Produces when healthy.

Lions have the space and picks to fill your 4 holes and lg and power back

Ansah, ngata, hyder fill 3. Tabor could be filling another at cb2 or nickel at very least. Just need a Sam lb and nickel if Diggs moves at that point. Add a de in round 1 for rotation and future

Still have day 2, round 4 and free agency for impact players

Last edited:
Last edited:

Nah they need a couple of homeruns both in the running game and that awful front 7. You tried telling me last year that the defensive front 7 was going to be fine with Spence and the other bums. It was an awful pass rush the previous year and they completely ignored it. Same with the running game. That can’t happen again. I’m not saying either unit has to be elite. But it can’t be worst in the league status again. Which the only way to get it better is to make some really good picks I’m those spots.

Last edited:
Ansah ngata and hyder and hill getting hurt caused it. They will add a young pick, tag ansah and hopefully bring back ngata. Hyder back is erfa

Lions announced they have agreed to terms with General Manager Bob Quinn on an extension to his current contract. The extension matches the term of
HC Matt Patricia?s new deal with the team - both tied to Detroit for five years.

Smart by Quinn. Extends his life line in Detroit by waiting with Caldwell for two years

I'm surprised Patricia got 5 years. Don't new HC generally get 3 years?

Last edited:
Back