Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Pope is on Drugs

I was not convinced; I came to believe (again). And, you know what? I still "can't wrap my head around a God." That's not even necessary. That's why there are Christ, Mary, the Church and the Saints. No one is going to change your mind until you are open to the idea in the first place. A book to consider to help that process: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Here's another source to review. I wish you well.

I think that it's worth pondering the cause and continuation of all this.

I was open to the idea. For a few decades. I tried to be a believer. The family were believers. My friends were believers. Society made it feel like something was wrong with me.

But now Ive done more research. Ive learned the plagiarism of other religions that is the Bible. Ive studied the myth that is Jesus. Ive seen the danger that is organized religion.

I remain open to the idea. But the level of proof needed does continue to rise.

I was open to the idea. For a few decades. I tried to be a believer. The family were believers. My friends were believers. Society made it feel like something was wrong with me.

But now Ive done more research. Ive learned the plagiarism of other religions that is the Bible. Ive studied the myth that is Jesus. Ive seen the danger that is organized religion.

I remain open to the idea. But the level of proof needed does continue to rise.

There are thousands of books on the Civil War, The War of Austrian Succession, Baseball, Food Allergies ... etc. Something as catastrophic as a flood might have been passed along and recorded after the event by others, and the most accurate account of it, written by Moses, exists in The Bible. And Christianity is nothing like the pagan religions that some claim it derived it and many of the OT books proclaim polar-opposite points of view from its alleged sources. So the fallow ground "The Bible is plagiarism" is just another in a long list of attempts to discredit what is consistently true and coherent.

It's good. It was shot in Pittsburgh. All movies shot in Pittsburgh are good movies. Like Jack Reacher and that movie where J-CVD played goalie for the Penguins and where he leveled Christian Ruuttu and fights the Penguins' mascot. I think he even did the splits.

has he done a movie where he doesn't do the splits?

okay, so this Pope is easily my favorite pope of all time, and 2nd place is not even close.

now he's saying it's better to be an atheist - like me - than a hypocritical Catholic.

actually he should be saying that your religious beliefs do not factor into your value as a human being at all, but... small steps. the Catholic Church is really coming along. they've almost caught up to the 20th century on issues of general human progress and morality.

okay, so this Pope is easily my favorite pope of all time, and 2nd place is not even close.

now he's saying it's better to be an atheist - like me - than a hypocritical Catholic.

actually he should be saying that your religious beliefs do not factor into your value as a human being at all, but... small steps. the Catholic Church is really coming along. they've almost caught up to the 20th century on issues of general human progress and morality.

Your mis-understanding of the Church, this pope, other popes and the artificial divisions of time of this world has caused you to shape a distorted view of ... well life as enriched by the Church. The Church does not adapt to the times; its tenets are unchanging and eternal. Inconvenient, I know, but the truth often is that way.

There are thousands of books on the Civil War, The War of Austrian Succession, Baseball, Food Allergies ... etc. Something as catastrophic as a flood might have been passed along and recorded after the event by others, and the most accurate account of it, written by Moses, exists in The Bible. And Christianity is nothing like the pagan religions that some claim it derived it and many of the OT books proclaim polar-opposite points of view from its alleged sources. So the fallow ground "The Bible is plagiarism" is just another in a long list of attempts to discredit what is consistently true and coherent.

The bible is consistently true???

Bible_Contradictions1-530x300.jpg

I don't know what I am supposed to do with that image save nothing at all.

I don't know what I am supposed to do with that image save nothing at all.

You follow the bible, yes?

The image shows a few contradictions in said bible.

How is the infallible word god contradictory so many times?

I think what he is saying is that if you are a bad Christian, you must actually be an atheist. Should this be in the "atheists behaving badly" thread?

I think what he is saying is that if you are a bad Christian, you must actually be an atheist. Should this be in the "atheists behaving badly" thread?

I don't know what language he was speaking; it probably wasn't English, and translations are always somewhat interpretive.

I heard the quote was more like "hypocritical Catholics are worse than atheists," which isn't exactly the same thing as saying it's better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic.

I heard that the clarification, either he made himself or a spokesman made, was that hypocritical or bad Catholics should strive to be better people and better Christians and better Catholics.

I'm thinking he didn't speak clearly, or there's some poor translating going on, or he dilevered it differently than some written version that exists somewhere, because the quote is different depending on the source. In some, he's talking about Catholics behaving so badly, that other, rhetorical people may say it would be better if they were atheist.

There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal. How many times have we all heard people say ?if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist?.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-francis-atheist-3256158-Feb2017/

"So many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others," Francis said during morning Mass at Casa Santa Marta, according to Vatican Radio. "How many times have we heard -- all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere -- 'But to be a Catholic like that, it's better to be an atheist.' It is that: scandal."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/world/pope-atheists-again/

I think what he's saying is, if you're atheist, you're good, it's all good. He's cool with that. But If you're a Christian hypocrite... if you're greedy, cruel, avaricious, violent toward others, not turning the other cheek (you know like most catholics I know...) your name is mud. in his book.

this isn't that far off from what I remember learning in Catholic school religious indoctrination classes; I definitely remember hearing it was better to be an atheist (ie have conviction in something and live according to that conviction) than it was to be a "lukewarm christian"... this was back in the early 90's.

I think what he's saying is, if you're atheist, you're good, it's all good. He's cool with that. But If you're a Christian hypocrite... if you're greedy, cruel, avaricious, violent toward others, not turning the other cheek (you know like most catholics I know...) your name is mud. in his book.

this isn't that far off from what I remember learning in Catholic school religious indoctrination classes; I definitely remember hearing it was better to be an atheist (ie have conviction in something and live according to that conviction) than it was to be a "lukewarm christian"... this was back in the early 90's.

"Do not classify others in order to see who is a neighbor and who is not. " Pretty much the key phrase in the text.

I don't know what language he was speaking; it probably wasn't English, and translations are always somewhat interpretive.

I heard the quote was more like "hypocritical Catholics are worse than atheists," which isn't exactly the same thing as saying it's better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic.

I heard that the clarification, either he made himself or a spokesman made, was that hypocritical or bad Catholics should strive to be better people and better Christians and better Catholics.

I know, I said it that way on purpose. I know what he meant. Shame on you for not knowing that.

Probably forgot the smiley face - won't next time

Last edited:
Back