Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

Has there been a HOF player/QB that never won a playoff game, never was pick for the pro bowl (he was a late alternate once)? I'm really curious..

I know he has yards but I never really thought Matt as a hall of fame possibility.

Has there been a HOF player/QB that never won a playoff game, never was pick for the pro bowl (he was a late alternate once)? I'm really curious..

I know he has yards but I never really thought Matt as a hall of fame possibility.

I asked them at POD. Maybe they can answer your question Mitch.

I think your Pro Bowl qualifier makes the answer a 'no'.

Dan Orlovsky thinks Matthew Stafford will be a Hall of Fame quarterback.
He may be a little biased, but...
During an appearance on ESPN?s radio show ?Golic and Wingo? former Detroit Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky let it slip that he thinks Matthew Stafford is a Hall of Fame player, while noting that he doesn?t think anyone should predict the Lions to finish last in the division.
https://twitter.com/GolicAndWingo/status/1022840196444905479

Not sure I trust this guy's judgment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0OkR986LL4

I think your Pro Bowl qualifier makes the answer a 'no'.

Staffords going to have to win something to make the HOF.....IMO.

Marino won nothing.....but he changed the way the game was played. His numbers were staggering for their time. Shit, they?d be great today!! He played 30 years ago!!

Right now, Stafford is Dan Fouts. And until he wins something of significance he won?t garner much HOF love....IMO.

Staffords going to have to win something to make the HOF.....IMO.

Marino won nothing.....but he changed the way the game was played. His numbers were staggering for their time. Shit, they?d be great today!! He played 30 years ago!!

Right now, Stafford is Dan Fouts. And until he wins something of significance he won?t garner much HOF love....IMO.

Yes. But Marino did get to a SB so he won playoff games.. But he did change the game and talk about no running game.. Some years you might as well have just rushed 3 on him all game.

Just checked the thread and comments section, and one of the writers at POD Pride of Detroit had this to say on your question;

None that fit all of those criteria simultaneously.

The closest thing to what you are asking is Y.A. Tittle. He never won a playoff game, but obviously was named to multiple all-pro teams:

http://www.profootballhof.com/players/ya-tittle/

Somewhat related ? the "never played in a playoff game" HOF list for all positions is four, but has no quarterbacks:

http://www.profootballhof.com/players/dick-butkus/
http://www.profootballhof.com/players/gale-sayers/
http://www.profootballhof.com/players/larry-wilson/
http://www.profootballhof.com/players/floyd-little/

Joe Thomas will be #5 on that list.

Not sure I trust this guy's judgment.

If what Dan Orlovsky says is true, Stafford has converted on 20 of 24 4th quarter, two-minute drills since 2014.

And of the 4 he failed on:
- 1 was the Calvin Johnson goal-line fumble in Seattle
- 1 was the 10-second runoff game vs. Atlanta

I think Stafford would have 1 pro bowl if guys didn't back out every year. 1 pro bowl and no playoff wins equals hof? I don't think so...

I think Stafford would have 1 pro bowl if guys didn't back out every year. 1 pro bowl and no playoff wins equals hof? I don't think so...

Excuse me, I believe you are forgetting he was Pro Bowl MVP. Which means he is the best of the best.

Excuse me, I believe you are forgetting he was Pro Bowl MVP. Which means he is the best of the best.

Not the best of the best but top 5 QB in the league. No worse than 6 or 7.
It absolutely pains you that you were dead wrong about Stafford eh lol. Hysterical....

Maybe not right now but when it's all said and done, he'll have the numbers to get in...

Not the best of the best but top 5 QB in the league. No worse than 6 or 7.
It absolutely pains you that you were dead wrong about Stafford eh lol. Hysterical....

See that's where you are wrong, I'm happy he finally is starting to play where he should have been for years. I've praised Stafford for his turn-around the last couple years. When he finally started playing well I said he started playing well. You are the one that can't admit he played like crap for many years. Or do you still think that he is playing exactly the same and his stats are only improved because of a better team around him?

Does 5 years of being a maybe a 15-20 ranked QB, 2-3 of being a maybe top 10 QB, and 1 year of being a fringe top 5 QB make the HOF?

The QB waiting list for the HOF is going to be huge by the time Stafford retires. Stafford plays in an era where QB play is at an all-time high. If he can string together 5+ years where he actually finishes as a top 5 QB then perhaps he will get in at some point. However right now, there is no way he deserves it.

Look at the classes that are getting in, all the players you could make an argument were the best at their position at some point in their career, for sure top 3 for multiple years.

I mean will you put Eli in the HOF? Matt Ryan? Romo? Palmer? Rivers?

Last edited:
Maybe not right now but when it's all said and done, he'll have the numbers to get in...

He needs more than yards.. That's not hating it's fact. If Ken Anderson, who got to a SB, won a MVP and led the league in passer rating 4 times, most yards twice. Plus he rushed for over 2000 yards. Matt ain't getting in.

He will get in once the Lions win 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls, and probably winning just one of them if he stays healthy ! Dare to dream !

He needs more than yards.. That's not hating it's fact. If Ken Anderson, who got to a SB, won a MVP and led the league in passer rating 4 times, most yards twice. Plus he rushed for over 2000 yards. Matt ain't getting in.

In 10 years.....he’ll have the numbers to get in.....no doubt about it. But, Matthew Stafford will have to win SOMETHING to get in. Multiple playoff games or an MVP........something. If he wins a Super Bowl he’s in.....no question.

I’ve thought about this quite a bit.....who is Stafford’s MLB/NBA equivalent??

I’d say.....right now....he’s 2014 Carmelo Anthony. Numbers are there....a lot based on volume of attempts. Everyone says he’s really good but the questions about winning are starting to get more prevalent. Never really been on any good teams, either.

Last edited:
Back