Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Draft Position

I get it, but a TON of money was poured into fixing this line in the off-season. Those guys battled some injuries, so if they are healthy, it may improve things.

The fact they haven't had a RB go for 100 in like a million games should speak to the fact they just haven't had a talented guy back there. For crying out loud, look at Geo Bernard. Dude is an OK RB, and he busted 100 against us, and something tells me judging from the stats that Cincy's o-line is junk.

I get it, but a TON of money was poured into fixing this line in the off-season. Those guys battled some injuries, so if they are healthy, it may improve things.

The fact they haven't had a RB go for 100 in like a million games should speak to the fact they just haven't had a talented guy back there. For crying out loud, look at Geo Bernard. Dude is an OK RB, and he busted 100 against us, and something tells me judging from the stats that Cincy's o-line is junk.

The OL is overrated, healthy or not. Good running game we still lose games. Imo. We've been trying to fix the OL for years try the other side of the ball..

The OL is overrated, healthy or not. Good running game we still lose games. Imo. We've been trying to fix the OL for years try the other side of the ball..

Meh i disagree partially. I do agree I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. BUT we do need to at least get our running game to average. Being as bad as we are at it can't continue forever. I would say offensively we need to shore up LG let go of swanson get a tight end who can catch in the red zone and a good back. Everything else needs to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys expect to have a 100 yd rusher. Everytime we ruin the ball there is 5 posts on the game thread about how shitty our oc is.

If the run block scheme is crap, it doesn't matter how much is invested in the players. Fix the scheme with the new coaches and mediocre RBs can look good and good RBs can look great.

Meh i disagree partially. I do agree I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. BUT we do need to at least get our running game to average. Being as bad as we are at it can't continue forever. I would say offensively we need to shore up LG let go of swanson get a tight end who can catch in the red zone and a good back. Everything else needs to be on the defensive side of the ball.

But I'm not sure I'd want any of those offensive guys drafted high. Maybe get a LG in free agency. I don't see needing another TE. If you want TD, and Red Zone targets grab a WR.

But the Lions don't even have a mediocre RB. They don't have ANY threat. Riddick is nice, but he's a WR playing out of the backfield.

I'm not saying with the 1st round, but they need to take a good RB early.

But the Lions don't even have a mediocre RB. They don't have ANY threat. Riddick is nice, but he's a WR playing out of the backfield.

I'm not saying with the 1st round, but they need to take a good RB early.

So we grab a RB, same shit OL - same results. That's what I'm seeing.

If the run block scheme is crap, it doesn't matter how much is invested in the players. Fix the scheme with the new coaches and mediocre RBs can look good and good RBs can look great.

I agree. This running scheme is garbage. How many 2nd and more than 10 situations have we had this year? It's pathetic. You guys can rip on Abdullah all you want.....and he isn't great.....but he's not nearly as bad as the Lions scheme makes him out to be.

Absolutely pointless to bring in anyone else if we're going to run the same BULLSHIT blocking scheme next year.

If Jim Brown and Barry Sanders had a love child that got the best attributes from both runners.....he'd have trouble averaging 4.0 yards/carry in this offense.

Well I think we are arguing different stuff here. If the schemes are crap, then you could make the case that ANYONE could be drafted at ANY position. That's kind of a different direction than the real argument.

I think the O-line can be okay. A lot of money was spent to repair it, and sadly those two guys were hurt often.

An elite/very good RB could help mask some of the deficiencies. But yeah, the scheme is like the ex machina with this conversation.

They’ve had the same OL coach for the entirety of these bottom dwelling rushing years, between that and questionable play calling I think coaching could be partly to blame. I say give a new coaching staff one season to figure out what they need.

Lions FO have to choose whether it wants the team to be like an unstoppable force on O, or like an immovable object on D. Not many teams have had both, and if so, not for very long.

Either they believe that Stafford can be elite, or they beef up their defense. He is very expensive, and is being paid like an elite QB, whether he is or not, so for that reason I would go more on O to reduce his chances of injury and improve their run game. I would like to see the backup QB Rudock start their last game next week, but Caldwell, like all previous Lions HCs on the hot seat, will likely play (their starters) Stafford so he has a better chance of winning, finish above .500, and maybe coach again next season.

Last edited:
They?ve had the same OL coach for the entirety of these bottom dwelling rushing years, between that and questionable play calling I think coaching could be partly to blame. I say give a new coaching staff one season to figure out what they need.

Combination of all 3 - coaching, RB and OL.

Given the Lions can't run even against bad run defenses, I think this has to fall on the coaching. Decker-Lang-Wagner have already proven they have the talent and skill to move the pocket one-on-one against most defensive linemen. The fact the team continues to run plays that all of us can see coming the moment they step to the line, and seem to purposely run plays with the lowest chance of success, those are coaching issues. I'm not saying this should be a dominant run unit, but they could easily be put in better position to succeed than they have been.

Given the Lions can't run even against bad run defenses, I think this has to fall on the coaching. Decker-Lang-Wagner have already proven they have the talent and skill to move the pocket one-on-one against most defensive linemen. The fact the team continues to run plays that all of us can see coming the moment they step to the line, and seem to purposely run plays with the lowest chance of success, those are coaching issues. I'm not saying this should be a dominant run unit, but they could easily be put in better position to succeed than they have been.

Not according to Mitch lol. The experts were nutting over the additions of Lang and Wagner. Not Mitch tho. That OLine was overrated even if healthy. We were losing games becsuse he said so...lol

That Oline played like half a game together. Decker, Swanson, Wagnera and Lang all got hurt. Along with some key backups

Half the Dline got hurt plus Ansah most of the year. Cornelius Washington and A Shawn Robinson were big disappointments though

Dline is number one need due to injuries/free agents (Ngata, Hyder, Hill, Ansah)

Bring back Ansah and add Dline too. Bunch of rookie Dline and Zettel/Washington/Robinson isn't going to work

Updated after last night's game, Oakland drops out

For the best possible pick, here are the desired outcomes:

Green Bay over Detroit
Baltimore over Cincinnati
Tennessee over Jacksonville
Dallas over Philadelphia
Buffalo over Miami
LA Chargers over Oakland
Washington over NY Giants
Arizona over Seattle

If the above happens, the Lions are possibly looking at the 13th or 14th pick depending on Arizona's final SoS

Back