Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Deficits not matter when Republitard is prez, hurr

yeah, we do need single payer. I saw an article thatlife expectancy just dropped again. OD's, and suicides.

Here is an evaluation from the Vittana Organization - established to benefit education in underprivileged nations - that enumerates pros and cons of single payer public healthcare.

It seems to me Medicaid and other public health services already gives us, and has for years, a functional de facto single payer public health care type system already. If you're poor you can get in line for crappy health care through Medicaid or another public service, just like poor people in the UK and Canada do through single payer public health care in those counties.

If you have some money or a pretty good job with group insurance, you can get superior private medical insurance, just like the people with money in the UK and Canada do.

So that said...why would single payer health care do to solve medical issues of ODs and suicides? In neither case are people seeking medical attention at the time of the events. The two aren't related in any way that I can see.

Here is an evaluation from the Vittana Organization - established to benefit education in underprivileged nations - that enumerates pros and cons of single payer public healthcare.

It seems to me Medicaid and other public health services already gives us, and has for years, a functional de facto single payer public health care type system already. If you're poor you can get in line for crappy health care through Medicaid or another public service, just like poor people in the UK and Canada do through single payer public health care in those counties.

If you have some money or a pretty good job with group insurance, you can get superior private medical insurance, just like the people with money in the UK and Canada do.

So that said...why would single payer health care do to solve medical issues of ODs and suicides? In neither case are people seeking medical attention at the time of the events. The two aren't related in any way that I can see.

The fact that the US doesn't have single payer is the most common motivating factor in suicide notes since life expectancy started dropping. Also, most addicts in recovery say the depression from not having universal health care led them to abuse opioids. Single payer will virtually wipe these problems away, like with a cloth - just like legalizing marijuana and taxing the hell out of it will eliminate drug related crime.

It's either that or just more virtue signalling.

Last edited:
The fact that the US doesn't have single payer is the most common motivating factor in suicide notes since life expectancy started dropping. Also, most addicts in recovery say the depression from not having universal health care led them to abuse opioids. Single payer will virtually wipe these problems away, like with a cloth - just like legalizing marijuana and taxing the hell out of it will eliminate drug related crime.

It's either that or just more virtue signalling.

Well shit.

I would never have guessed.

Why don't the suicidal and drug addicted just go on Medicaid?

Pretty much the same thing as single payer.

Maybe they don't know.

Seems a lot of people seem to not know there's Medicaid.

You are a reasonable voice, Gulo, so I accept the notion that statistics exist which substantiate your claims. Having said that, I have no idea how they exist. I have considered and rejected hundreds of resumes over the years. Which among them were black? And as to the car/stop/timing thing. Is that really a thing? WTF?

My conclusion from reading your post is that I am a racist because I don't realize it.

I've posted links to the studies here before. And I've seen another study that showed that in some specific circumstance, minorities discriminated against minorities and women discriminated against women. The point isn't that people that do this are racist, it's that non-racist, unconscious biases can produce discrimination.

I'm of the opinion that the way we use the word 'racist' is part of the problem. People are so afraid of being labeled racist, they don't want to consider that they may contribute to discrimination.

I've posted links to the studies here before. And I've seen another study that showed that in some specific circumstance, minorities discriminated against minorities and women discriminated against women. The point isn't that people that do this are racist, it's that non-racist, unconscious biases can produce discrimination.

I'm of the opinion that the way we use the word 'racist' is part of the problem. People are so afraid of being labeled racist, they don't want to consider that they may contribute to discrimination.

I?m kind of ok with being labeled a racist at this point. It really doesn?t mean much anymore and it?s something best laughed off. I?m probably a Nazi too.

I’m kind of ok with being labeled a racist at this point. It really doesn’t mean much anymore and it’s something best laughed off. I’m probably a Nazi too.

What I think you're okay with is being labeled an attention hog.

Nothing on this thread had anything to do with racism or not racism until you brought it up about yourself in post #33.

EDIT: Oops my bad. Gulo brought it up in post #32 in response to me about Woody Allen and the Me Too movement.

I didn't finish reading his post, as I'm prone to do with some of his posts other posts or anyone else's posts I don't really understand.

Last edited:
I?m kind of ok with being labeled a racist at this point. It really doesn?t mean much anymore and it?s something best laughed off. I?m probably a Nazi too.

I hope what you're talking about (or laughing about) is other people misusing the words. But if someone does misuse the terms racist or Nazi, it seems weird to me that you'd let that redefine the words for you so that you'd be ok using them to describe yourself.

Then again, you already self-identify as a Buckeye. If you just accept anyone's definition of a term, you should go see how people on MGoBlog define "Buckeye".

What I think you're okay with is being labeled an attention hog.

Nothing on this thread had anything to do with racism or not racism until you brought it up about yourself in post #33.

EDIT: Oops my bad. Gulo brought it up in post #32 in response to me about Woody Allen and the Me Too movement.

I didn't finish reading his post, as I'm prone to do with some of his posts other posts or anyone else's posts I don't really understand.

When you see a request or two to get the thread back on track it's a good indicator that I've been posting.

I'd appreciate knowing when I'm doing a lot of this. Not like, I'm going to go back and try again, but I do want to know when I'm doing a crappy job of expressing myself.

Or maybe I retry short talk.

If everyone does not understand what not being able to pay for medical bills that forces bankruptcy then I just cant help all of you rich folks lol . No family should have to go through that in America and yet it is more common then any one us would think. I am all for paying into a system that alleviates that burden on people and families. Medicare for all also does not mean people would not buy private insurance.
The rich folks will always have better then normal people. I firmly stand behind if all Americans had healthcare we would be a more productive country. People would not have to live in fear to change jobs because of insurance. More people would take chances to start small businesses. It just makes to much sense to me but instead companies and politicians want us all to live in fear, and to be slaves to United States Corporate overlords.

Last edited:
If everyone does not understand what not being able to pay for medical bills that forces bankruptcy then I just cant help all of you rich folks lol . No family should have to go through that in America and yet it is more common then any one us would think. I am all for paying into a system that alleviates that burden on people and families. Medicare for all also does not mean people would not buy private insurance.
The rich folks will always have better then normal people. I firmly stand behind if all Americans had healthcare we would be a more productive country. People would not have to live in fear to change jobs because of insurance. More people would take chances to start small businesses. It just makes to much sense to me but instead companies and politicians want us all to live in fear, and to be slaves to United States Corporate overlords.

Netflix released a series called The Naked Truth. Episode 1, Death by Fentanyl. Eye opening. I didn't even know what fentanyl was, and if that's on purpose, the obstacles between us and a more reasonable healthcare system are scary. Campaign finance reform is like gun control, too ingrained to envision making a difference by any set of small steps.

If everyone does not understand what not being able to pay for medical bills that forces bankruptcy then I just cant help all of you rich folks lol . No family should have to go through that in Americ and yet it is more common then any one us would think. I am all for paying into a system that alleviates that burden on people and families. Medicare for all also does not mean people would not buy private insurance.

Those who are the equivalent of social/fiscal Darwinists are very unlikely to care if others suffer and/or die from intentionally or unintentionally acquired or birth-related diseases, illnesses, physical/mental defects, or misadventures, whether any are the result of poor personal choices, or are non-preventable consequences.

They do not believe in providing involuntary assistance to individuals, but do believe that we should involuntarily fund the public and private institutions who may enhance their personal enrichment, and defend their liberties and freedumbs.

Everyone should be entitled to free top notch healthcare. Why stop there? Everyone should be able to go to any college of their choice...free of charge. We need a better retirement system too. Everybody gets to retire at age 60 with full benefits including an annual income of at least $50K. :cheers:

If everyone does not understand what not being able to pay for medical bills that forces bankruptcy then I just cant help all of you rich folks lol . No family should have to go through that in America...

Obama claimed the ACA was going to fix this.

Did it fail?

Everyone should be entitled to free top notch healthcare. Why stop there? Everyone should be able to go to any college of their choice...free of charge. We need a better retirement system too. Everybody gets to retire at age 60 with full benefits including an annual income of at least $50K. :cheers:

You act like people don't understand practical limitations of everybody getting everything, but what about free, bottom notch healthcare?

You act like people don't understand practical limitations of everybody getting everything, but what about free, bottom notch healthcare?

We have that. Just like they have it in other single payer systems.

Well, of course it isn't free...

Obama claimed the ACA was going to fix this.

Did it fail?

Then Obama claimed wrong. ACA is what you get when the government asks insurance companies to write the law.

Insurance Companies: "Let's write a law where everyone is required to pay us money."

Obama: "Will everyone have insurance?"

Insurance Companies: "It's in the law!"

Obama: "Will everyone actually be able to afford healthcare?"

Insurance Companies: "Wellllll..."

Obama: "I'll just say everyone will have insurance. That's progress."

Then Obama claimed wrong. ACA is what you get when the government asks insurance companies to write the law.

Insurance Companies: "Let's write a law where everyone is required to pay us money."

Obama: "Will everyone have insurance?"

Insurance Companies: "It's in the law!"

Obama: "Will everyone actually be able to afford healthcare?"

Insurance Companies: "Wellllll..."

Obama: "I'll just say everyone will have insurance. That's progress."

But didn't that all happen with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat Administration?

According to some posters on this board it's the GOP that rewards bloodthirsty rich corporations on the backs of the middle and lower middle class.

What am I missing here?

Back