Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Warriors win NBA title 4-1

I think that there has always been a tendency for one or two teams to win the title in a given era, starting with the Lakers, when they were in Minneapolis. Celtics won all but two titles from 57-69. Some "parity" from 70-80, then Lakers-Celtics through most of the 80s, Bulls in the 90s and, actually, no team has won three straight since the Lakers from 2000-02.

Last edited:
It's not Lebron's fault...it's the fault of the players union for asking for free agency. Now they have what they wanted....players are free to do what they want after their initial contract.

No one ever thought "hey how about you two come here with me and we'll get a title" until that point. Every sport has free agency.. You won't see Mike Trout call up Bryce Harper, and Kershaw to go to the same team. And there's no cap to deal with.. Won't happen in the NFL either.. All started with "I'm taking my talent's to South Beach."

I think that there has always been a tendency for one or two teams to win the title in a given era, starting with the Lakers, when they were in Minneapolis. Celtics won all but two titles from 57-69. Some "parity" from 70-80, then Lakers-Celtics through most of the 80s, Bulls in the 90s and, actually, no team has won three straight since the Lakers from 2000-02.

You might get a big name player to play for you but those teams always had drafted players as part of their stud lineup..

No one ever thought "hey how about you two come here with me and we'll get a title" until that point. Every sport has free agency.. You won't see Mike Trout call up Bryce Harper, and Kershaw to go to the same team. And there's no cap to deal with.. Won't happen in the NFL either.. All started with "I'm taking my talent's to South Beach."

Free agents go to better teams all of the time in order to have a better chance at titles. Players used to go to Dallas, SF, the Lakers, the Bulls, the Yankees. Hell, wouldn't you even say that Prince Fielder did it when he came to the Tigers? He went to a team that on paper looked like a championship caliber team. It just happens that when Lebron did it he was the best player in the game...KD did it and he was probably the 2nd best player going to the best team. Also, in basketball, one star can make a much larger impact on a team.

Like the Warriors of 2017. And a lot of teams passed on them.

Then they added one of the best players in the league. He wasn't going anywhere else.. My point being most teams don't have a shot at the studs in the NBA. Even if they have the cap.. That's why there is no parity.. Multiple studs rule.

Free agents go to better teams all of the time in order to have a better chance at titles. Players used to go to Dallas, SF, the Lakers, the Bulls, the Yankees. Hell, wouldn't you even say that Prince Fielder did it when he came to the Tigers? He went to a team that on paper looked like a championship caliber team. It just happens that when Lebron did it he was the best player in the game...KD did it and he was probably the 2nd best player going to the best team. Also, in basketball, one star can make a much larger impact on a team.

He came because we offered him a shit load of money much more than the next best offer. He didn't come to the Tigers because they were good.

He came because we offered him a shit load of money much more than the next best offer. He didn't come to the Tigers because they were good.

so it's OK if a player goes to a team for the money but not OK if he goes to a team for less money so he has a better chance to win?

so it's OK if a player goes to a team for the money but not OK if he goes to a team for less money so he has a better chance to win?

It might seem bad but at least more teams have a shot because many spend money.. Will they have a chance at all studs, no. Max Sherzer is an example, no one else was paying that. But MLB, now, has more parity. last season's WS teams both struggling to stay at .500.

It might seem bad but at least more teams have a shot because many spend money.. Will they have a chance at all studs, no. Max Sherzer is an example, no one else was paying that. But MLB, now, has more parity. last season's WS teams both struggling to stay at .500.

Baseball and football are different because they have to fill 45-55 positions. The NBA will always be different because one or two players have such a HUGE impact on the team.

And all teams don't have a chance at the studs. Some teams will never get "the studs" because players just don't want to play for certain organizations.

Baseball and football are different because they have to fill 45-55 positions. The NBA will always be different because one or two players have such a HUGE impact on the team.

And all teams don't have a chance at the studs. Some teams will never get "the studs" because players just don't want to play for certain organizations.

You might be right but it was never like that.. Granted free agency changes things, and I understand the NBA has always had powerhouses, Bulls-Lakers-Celtics. But those teams were mostly drafted teams.. LA got Lew Alcindor but that was a trade.. I just don't see the NBA anytime soon have some parity..

You might be right but it was never like that.. Granted free agency changes things, and I understand the NBA has always had powerhouses, Bulls-Lakers-Celtics. But those teams were mostly drafted teams.. LA got Lew Alcindor but that was a trade.. I just don't see the NBA anytime soon have some parity..

Lebron was also traded to the Heat.

there never was and never will be parity in the NBA because great players have more of an impact on basketball than any other sport.

Last edited:
Lebron was also traded to the Heat.

there never was and never will be parity in the NBA because great players have more of an impact on basketball than any other sport.

I get that, that's why unless you're a fan of one of those teams it sucks.. Lebron wasn't traded in the traditional sense. It was a sign and trade.. He chose Miami and then he did the sign and trade.

Kareem engineered that trade to play for a contender and LA was one of a few chosen teams.

Kareem engineered that trade to play for a contender and LA was one of a few chosen teams.

Okay. But they could have trade to one of those others? I know I'm just talking nonsense but I hate knowing that Detroit, with their 8th-12th pick every year they won't contend. Maybe sneak in as 7th or 8th seed only to lose right away..

Okay. But they could have trade to one of those others? I know I'm just talking nonsense but I hate knowing that Detroit, with their 8th-12th pick every year they won't contend. Maybe sneak in as 7th or 8th seed only to lose right away..

you are correct....the Pistons have no chance.

The salary cap in the NBA is supposed to guard against a few teams loading up the superstars. But the windfall cap increase in the last year, from about $70M to something like $94M, created the opportunity for things like KD to the Warriors......especially after the players union summarily rejected the owners request to phase in the cap increase.

The salary cap in the NBA is supposed to guard against a few teams loading up the superstars. But the windfall cap increase in the last year, from about $70M to something like $94M, created the opportunity for things like KD to the Warriors......especially after the players union summarily rejected the owners request to phase in the cap increase.

you are right. If the players union would have gone along with what the owners wanted, to phase in the increase in the cap, KD wouldn't have gone to GS

Well we should give the Warriors front office a little credit. They did draft Green, Curry, Thompson . Everyone rips the Warriors for getting Durant and being a super team but thier payroll is 16th in the league , Yup lower then the Pelicans, Hornets, and Kings like the artcle said. Green was a great draft pick. Come to think if it why did we give up on our pick Middleton that year ? He seems decent right now ..

https://billypenn.com/2017/06/05/the-sixers-should-learn-from-the-warriors-superteam-model/

Last edited:
Back