Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 116 Tigers vs. twins August 12, 2017

Not sure he can be a full time starter but he will get his shot to do so next season that is for sure. Like Ron has said we need more hustle guys like him. Now to be fair he was awful first 2 months , and I do remember a boneheaded play at Kansas City but who hasn't running the bases with this club. You were right NS!

Yeah. I'm not sure what I said at the time but I try to keep judgement after JD came here. Not sure anyone thought he'd be good let a lone a stud. But Mahtook was pretty bad early on. Glad he's doing well.. Too bad the team as a whole isn't very good.

Yeah. I'm not sure what I said at the time but I try to keep judgement after JD came here. Not sure anyone thought he'd be good let a lone a stud. But Mahtook was pretty bad early on. Glad he's doing well.. Too bad the team as a whole isn't very good.

I admit I started the meathook nick name with others. But glad he turned it around!!

Justin Upton smashed a two-run, walk-off home run in the ninth inning, capping a dramatic comeback by the Detroit Tigers Saturday night at Comerica Park.

The Tigers led 5-0 after the first inning, fell behind 11-6 and then steadily climbed back into the game. The Tigers trailed, 11-7, in the eighth but scored three times in the inning. Nick Castellanos scored when James McCann grounded into a fielder's choice and Jose Iglesias added a two-run home run.
Upton unleashed the ninth inning drama to beat the Minnesota Twins 12-11.

The Twins snapped a six-game winning streak, while the Tigers authored a ninth-inning comeback for the first time this year and avoided falling 12 games under .500 for the first time since 2015.

Tigers reliever Shane Greene struck out Miguel Sano with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth to keep the margin at only one run. Mikie Mahtook led off the bottom of the ninth with a single against Matt Belisle and then, with the crowd on its feet, Upton crushed his no-doubter to left field.

NOTABLE
Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera left the game in the seventh inning with lower back tightness and is day-to-day, the team said. John Hicks replaced Cabrera at first.

Twins starter Jose Berrios became the first Major League starter to allow five runs in the first inning in back-to-back starts since Zach Britton in 2011.

Tigers starter Jordan Zimmermann, coming off two strong outings, didn't make it out of the fourth on Saturday. His problems began in the third when he walked No. 9 hitter Jason Castro. After two singles, Joe Mauer hit a bases-clearing double. Two batters later, Eddie Rosario tied the game at 5 with a mammoth, 445-foot, two-run home run.

McCann's grand slam in the first inning was the second of his career. The other came July 31, 2016, against the Houston Astros and former University of Arkansas teammate Dallas Keuchel.

After going 13 1/3 innings without allowing a run, Tigers reliever Daniel Stumpf has given up runs in each of his last two outings.

Tigers reliever Edward Mujica has allowed home runs in four of five outings since being selected from Triple-A Toledo. He gave up a two-run home run to Joe Mauer in the sixth inning Saturday night.

Tigers right fielder Alex Presley walked and singled in his first game back since returning from the disabled list.

Tigers center fielder Mikie Mahtook doubled in the first and tripled in the seventh. He has five consecutive multi-hit games, the most in his career.
He has two hits in seven of his last eight games. Since August 5, he?s hitting .454 (14 for 33).

McCann finished 2-for-4 with a grand slam in the first inning, career-high five RBIs and two runs scored. Since July 16, McCann is hitting .361 with six doubles, two homers and 12 RBIs.

It was the third time this season the Twins have beat up on Tigers starter Jordan Zimmermann. He gave up seven runs and eight hits in 3 1/3 innings Saturday.
Zimmermann has allowed 17 runs on 21 hits and 10 walks over 11 2/3 innings against the Twins this season.
Zimmermann, who signed a five-year, $110 million deal with the Tigers in November 2015, has a 5.62 ERA over 23 starts this season.

After two relatively easy innings, when he threw 20 strikes out of 25 pitches, he walked No. 9 hitter Jason Castro with one out in the third.
Things unraveled spectacularly from there. Singles by Brian Dozier and Max Kepler loaded the bases. Joe Mauer, who is having a monster series, unloaded them with a ringing double to left-center field.
One out later, Eddie Rosario waited on a hanging breaking ball on a 3-2 count, and pulverized it, 455 feet into the seats in right-center. Just like that, the score was tied.
Zimmermann wouldn?t survive the fourth. Byron Buxton hit a laser shot that just barely cleared the wall in right field ? his sixth home run of the year.
He would give up another run on an RBI single by Dozier before departing.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/mccanns-grand-slam/c-1718241083?tid=240570844
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers come from behind win over the twins.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/twins-v...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491843
Boxscore.

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
McCann slam: McCann capped a five-run first inning by lifting a curveball into left field for his second career grand slam. A two-out rally began when Nicholas Castellanos beat out an infield single and Victor Martinez took a five-pitch walk before McCann swung at the first offering he saw from Berrios and cleared the loaded bases. McCann's other slam came July 31, 2016 off Houston's Dallas Keuchel.

Joe Jimenez the Tigers? prospect has barely gotten a look since returning to the team at the beginning of the month. He put together his best outing thus far, giving the Tigers two scoreless innings of work to keep them in it.

Roars
Justin Upton: We needed a hero. J-Up was up to the task once again.

James McCann: A grand slam, 5 RBI, and three runs scored for the Tigers? catcher.

Jose Iglesias: One hit, but it was a big one. Iggy?s two-run shot, his fourth, brought the Tigers within one in the eighth, setting the stage for a walkoff victory.

Hisses
Jordan Zimmermann: Every time he shows signs of being useful, he goes and does this. Stop pitching him against the Twins!

Edward Mujica: Why? Why is he here? Why is he pitching for the Tigers? WTF is going on?

Brad Ausmus said Miguel Cabrera probably won't play Sunday. Back issue is in a different spot than had previously bothered him.

10 games under .500 and after a walkoff win I'm lookin at the standings to so if there is anyway we can get back in the race lol.. it would be so cool of this team could make a run ..

10 games under .500 and after a walkoff win I'm lookin at the standings to so if there is anyway we can get back in the race lol.. it would be so cool of this team could make a run ..

The best bet if there is one would be win the division. Even though they are closer to the WC there are just so many teams ahead of us. The past month or more we haven't gained on anyone i.e the same teams are still ahead of us.

Last edited:
Back