Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Irma biggest ever Hurricane?

I know it sounds crazy but some people develop emotional attachments to their homes... and in the abstract, the concept of "home." they feel safe there and don't want to leave, especially when under stress. And they also want to stay and protect their property.

on top of that, evacuating is horribly inconvenient, often incompetently managed and planned for by authorities, and for those on fixed incomes or the poor, may be prohibitively expensive.

And as bad as hurricanes are, most people in affected areas survive them, so people are willing to take what they see as a relatively minor risk.

board it up and get the fuck out! Nothing you can do to "protect" your home from 2 feet of water and 100 MPH winds.

glad to hear...but why would they stay? That makes no sense.

Brother's wife works for a hospital, they don't let you leave. My mother in law and brother in law are on the east coast so no where near the eye. I know a lot of people stayed for fear of running out of gas. Also, being a resident of Florida you get use to it. I stayed through Hurricane Charley when I was in my 20's and only remember being nervous when the eye was close. The only reason I left was because I have children now and didn't want to make my wife take care of them by herself. I almost stayed back with 1 of the dogs but I know she wouldn't have allowed it.

board it up and get the fuck out! Nothing you can do to "protect" your home from 2 feet of water and 100 MPH winds.

Actually codes in Florida hold up to Hurricane winds easily. If you are out of a flood zone that doesn't bother you either. Now the tornadoes that pop up are the scary part, which is almost always on the northeast side of the hurricane.

Smart decision going forward: stop building things on the coasts. move inland.

Fat chance, when there are fat profits to be made, by constructing with a nearby lake, river, or ocean view. My late parents' house sold for twice its value almost anywhere else, b/c it was located nearby an inland lake, with beach privileges and boat-docking space...as well as being only one of three houses in the loop, with a full-size basement, having been built upon a small hill.

Back