Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kurt Russell

tinselwolverine

Who knew this?

I guess he played a few years in the minors after his career as a child Disney star for teams affiliated a primarily with the then California Angels.

I read a little anecdote where he humorously describes himself as having at the time been a little miffed when he was passed over for Bull Durham. I guess he had been friends with the director or producer or something.

As I recall the Costner had also played baseball at a pretty high level; I think he played college ball at the university of Colorado or something.

Not bad numbers. The walks to SO ratio was rather good. As far as the Movie, Russell would have been good but now that we saw Costner kind of hard to go against that decision. I did see a interview of the people in charge of hiring wanted people who knew how to play baseball. Nuke played somewhere too, not ml ball or anything but he played..

Btw, Sheen was up for the part of Nuke. Thank goodness that didn't happen..

And they both played Wyatt Earp at the same time. And Russell played Herb. Russell wins. Even when factoring in Roy McAvoy. Kurt shoulda been Simms.

Robert Wuhl stole that movie, IMO.

No doubt. Just read a line that he used based on real events..

"Candlesticks Make a Good Present: The funniest scene in the movie was based on a real life. ?The candlesticks scene on the mound ? I came up with that,? says Robert Wuhl, who played the team?s pitching coach. Apparently, a week before the film started shooting, Wuhl?s friend was getting married and he asked his wife what he should get as a gift. Her reply: Candlesticks always make a nice gift. Or find out where they?re registered and perhaps a nice place setting. Wuhl ad-libbed that line during a hilarious meeting on the pitcher?s mound in the film. The rest is history. And Wuhl says that ever since then, he?s never had to think hard about what to get someone as a gift."

Back