Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid NFL

tigermud

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/

The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

Here’s the thing, the NFL’s plans for relocating teams have been hilariously ham-fisted. Moving the 49ers to Santa Clara, 45 minutes from San Francisco was a moronic decision. Levi’s Stadium is also positioned so roughly 70 percent of the stadium bakes in the sun with no chance of shade.

Meanwhile, the Rams might actually have decent attendance once they move into their new stadium, but that’s a huge gamble. Until then, they’ll likely be dealing with sparse crowds at the Coliseum for the next three seasons. It’s terrible optics for the NFL to have empty stadiums and absolutely no atmosphere for games.
And we haven’t even gotten to the Los Angeles Chargers, who haven’t even been able to sellout a 27,000-seat stadium. No one wanted the Chargers in Los Angeles, and it has shown so far. Dean Spanos and his family have consistently claimed they are pleased with ticket sales and “excited” about what’s happened with the franchise in LA, but look at the following picture for the team’s first ever official game in Los Angeles:

That was taken just before publishing this piece. Everything in color there is a ticket on sale for the team’s Week 2 matchup with the Miami Dolphins. Many of them are “re-sale” tickets that were likely snagged up by brokers when season tickets went on sale. Those brokers will likely aim to sell those seats to opposing fans all season. That graphic is stunning because it comes from just one ticket selling website, and there are several others that each have hundreds of tickets available.

The fact that the Chargers can’t find 27,000 fans to fill their tiny soccer stadium home for their opener in a new city would be shocking if you hadn’t followed this move from the beginning. But, let’s be real: there is zero buzz around the team, fan outreach efforts have been widely mocked and San Diego fans have abandoned the franchise en masse after the way the team’s ownership treated its former city. No matter how much lipstick the NFL tries to put on that situation, it’s always going to look like a pig.

Empty stadiums are a huge deal to the NFL. Yes, the league makes its money off of TV contracts, but when fans aren’t at games it has a detrimental impact on the product. It sends the message that games are boring, uninteresting and that people don’t want to have anything to do with them in person. That kind of message hurts the product as a whole.

Not to mention, players don’t want to play in empty stadiums, so those franchises will suffer when it comes time to lure free agents. That could lead to some teams being buried at the bottom of the league year after year and creating a cycle that leaves fans even less incentive to show up.

This is a major problem for the NFL. Maybe owners around the league will finally realize that their big, bold stadium and relocation plans should actually have more thought attached to them.

Last edited:
I agree with a major problem for the NFL. Unfortunately it's not the only one. Last week I actually enjoyed my Sunday, no football. Just wait until the current CBA is done, I suspect a long work stoppage.

Former Charger fan, I already disliked the NFL and was watching less but them moving and their assclown owner/Goodell was my last straw. Didn't watch a snap of the NFL last week and don't plan to all year. Didn't watch the super bowl either. Can't wait to see that pathetic organization fail mightily and hilariously in LA.

Last edited:
Chargers could move to St. Louis, LA doesn't need two teams, or esp 3 temporarily, until the Raiders move to Las Vegas.

I plan on watching 1 game this year.. Detroit on thanksgiving. I realized last Sunday I rather play XCOM 2 over the NFL.

Chargers have a decent fan base in sd. The exhausting fight between the spanos family and the city made everyone not care. They should be forced to sell the team. They won't ever do shit in la.

maybe more people are coming to the realization that the experience of being at a stadium (given the cost and effort) just isn't worth it. Just watch it on TV.

maybe more people are coming to the realization that the experience of being at a stadium (given the cost and effort) just isn't worth it. Just watch it on TV.

I suspect less people are also not watching as much either.

"TV ratings for the NFL’s Thursday night opener got sacked — again — falling for the fourth straight year. While the NFL still commands the largest young, male demographic of any programming, the 12 percent decline from last season’s opener..."

And that was NE vs KC. Marque match up.

Last edited:
"TV ratings for the NFL?s Thursday night opener got sacked ? again ? falling for the fourth straight year. While the NFL still commands the largest young, male demographic of any programming, the 12 percent decline from last season?s opener..."

And that was NE vs KC. Marque match up.

followed by a Hou and Cin mega stinker.

If i had a choice...which i do this sunday because the lions play mon night.....then i would watch redzone 10 times out of 10 over an actual game. Watching an actual lions game just reminds me how ridiculous officiating in this sport is. Every kick off and punt return...flag. Holding....flag. PI....flag. False Start....FLAG! FLAGG FLAG FLAGGETY FLAG FLAG.

Theyve turned the sport into something pretty boring to watch.

I watch the Lions and that's pretty much it, follow scores for fantasy league purposes only. but yes have noticed that also, I can't watch a Lions game without getting upset over all the stupid ass flags for stupid ass shit all over the stupid ass place all stupid ass day long. It has really made the game less enjoyable, nobody watches games to see how many flags you can throw GD! ffkkk man. I mean yeah some are necessary but damn it's out of control. that PI in the end zone against the Lions last week for AZ last score, for example, was just fuckign stupid.

conversation I had last night with someone.

Get your lineup in yet game tonight?
Who's playing
oh hell just a couple of barn burners
Cinn and Hou

Meh I don't have anybody on these teams
Me neither.

Way to go NFL not must-see TV anymore.

Last edited:
I watch the Lions and that's pretty much it, follow scores for fantasy league purposes only. but yes have noticed that also, I can't watch a Lions game without getting upset over all the stupid ass flags for stupid ass shit all over the stupid ass place all stupid ass day long. It has really made the game less enjoyable, nobody watches games to see how many flags you can throw GD! ffkkk man. I mean yeah some are necessary but damn it's out of control. that PI in the end zone against the Lions last week for AZ last score, for example, was just fuckign stupid.

conversation I had last night with someone.

Get your lineup in yet game tonight?
Who's playing
oh hell just a couple of barn burners
Cinn and Hou

Meh I don't have anybody on these teams
Me neither.

Way to go NFL not must-see TV anymore.

That game was loaded with superstars though lol. Might have been boring to watch but don't even try to tell me that there were nobodies out there. That's completely false if you are....

Lions play Sunday . I will tune in to the Sunday night game after wife goes to bed and that is it. I may even wait till after the other zombie show is over.

Seriously how does anyone get bit by a slow moving zombie? Stupid just like me watching it ..

Why are you guys constantly on a football board if you despise the game so much? Lol. You bag on the Lions, you rip on other teams but still live on this board 24/7. I don't get it.

Why are you guys constantly on a football board if you despise the game so much? Lol. You bag on the Lions, you rip on other teams but still live on this board 24/7. I don't get it.

It's good therapy

Therapy??? Putting yourself through agony is therapy? Lol. Whatever floats your boat, dude...:cheers:

I love football...but you cant tell me the rules theyve established over the last decade hasnt slowed the game down to a snails pace.

I remember in high school doing sideline tackling and cover drills as a DB. We were literally taught to aim for the earhole. Flag!

Press coverage....taught to put your hand right under the shoulder pad and ride him into the dirt. FLAG!

50% of the secondary in the league at this point have to be lucky not to give up a reception or get a flag called them on each play. Its ridiculous.

Back