Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Panama @ USA

I stopped paying attention after it looked like Bruce Arena righted the ship. Then they went 0-1-1, and are almost out.

Shit. oh well... assuming they qualify (they still should) it's what happens in the world cup next year that matters. they've had better qualifying years, and crapped out of the WC.

will be interesting to see how we do. we usually do better in WC's NOT held in Europe. Moscow is only technically in Europe... kinda it's own special place

Correct .. top 3 in. 4th has to win a playoff game . Usa should beat theses next two teams but we shall see.

USA soccer must really suck. We have a population of over 320M and might not be able to get in a soccer tournament over countries with 4.8M & 4M people. Costa Rica has the population of Alabama and Panama = Oregon.

USA soccer must really suck. We have a population of over 320M and might not be able to get in a soccer tournament over countries with 4.8M & 4M people. Costa Rica has the population of Alabama and Panama = Oregon.

kinda... our best athletes tend to play other sports, and we don't have a very good professional domestic league. it's changing though.

kinda... our best athletes tend to play other sports, and we don't have a very good professional domestic league. it's changing though.

Correct, the top athletes favour more profitable sports. There is a chance in the next 20-30 years that concussion and CTE testing will expand and decrease enrollment of youngsters into contact spots like US football and hockey. Theoretically, that would increase the player pool in US.

The bigger issue has and continues to be insufficient player development. Around the world (MLS is one of the exceptions) teams run youth programmes to help develop players. That is the primary source of player recruitment, finding a younger (even at age 10) and develop them over the next decade until they can potentially make the real team. In the US/Canada they use the same hands-off approach of the major sports.

Take for example Robert Lewandowski. He spent almost a decade as a youth player for various teams before he broke onto the "first team" of Znicz in the 3rd divisional tier.

The MLS is the top retirement league for aging stars.

Also MLS tends to get better attendance than top division in Brasil.

Average Brasil attendance for 2016 was 15,736.
Average MLS attendance for 2016 was 21,649.

The increased profile and money in the MLS has been slowly increasing the talent of US players, however, that takes time.

From my limited time in the US, the sport is considered a "hispanic" sport.

growing up in the 80's, all kids played soccer until about age 10-11, then most kids dropped it to play football. both are fall sports in US schools.

we always ridiculed the kids who stuck with soccer as soft and weak.

based on what we know now about CTE, I will strongly discourage my kids from playing football. it's just not worth it, at all, even if you make the pros. who wants to be too brain-damaged to function in society by age 50? or earlier? no amount of money makes up for that.

If games were as wide open as this one on a regular basis, I'd be willing to bet viewership would be up.

I stopped paying attention after it looked like Bruce Arena righted the ship.

One of the worst hires I've ever seen in any sport. Would be like the Lions hiring Rod Marinelli after Jim Schwartz.

One of the worst hires I've ever seen in any sport. Would be like the Lions hiring Rod Marinelli after Jim Schwartz.

I don't think we've ever had a player as good as Pulisic. I just saw a replay of his first goal... amazing. he plays like a superstar already

who would you prefer? Bradley? (i think he shouldn't have been fired in the first place)

who would you prefer? Bradley? (i think he shouldn't have been fired in the first place)

Tab Ramos, Marcelo Bielsa, Peter Vermes...I honestly wouldn't have complained at any pick other than a retread.

Back