Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions' Teryl Austin DC a candidate for Arizona State coaching job

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/lions_dc_teryl_austin_reported.html#incart_river_index
Lions DC Teryl Austin reportedly a candidate for Arizona State job.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...t-lions-teryl-austin-arizona-state/895801001/
Detroit Lions' Teryl Austin a candidate for Arizona State coaching job.
Freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...-hamilton-candidates-arizona-state/108054330/
Lions' Austin, UM's Hamilton candidates at Arizona State.
Detnews

https://detroitsportsnation.com/col...idates-arizona-state-head-coaching-job/99128/
2 local coaches listed as candidates for Arizona State head coaching job.
DSN

Ya, that Minnesota game must have really turned some heads. I think Minnesota punted for the first time late in the 3rd? Ferocious D!! It's like they they they derrrp ummmm gagaak "did enough to win the game". Derrrrrrp....

Last edited:
If both coordinators leave for hc jobs in college....i think you just go ahead and bring in a New staff all together. Perfect excuse to get rid of Caldwell and go get your guy.

Ps... Tennessee was all set to hire schiano... protests stopped it all together. Door back open for cooter!

Last edited:
If both coordinators leave for hc jobs in college....i think you just go ahead and bring in a New staff all together. Perfect excuse to get rid of Caldwell and go get your guy.

They already extended Caldwell can't see it

If Austin left, Detroit would probably just promote either Kris Koureck, Bill Sheridan LB coach and former DC or Alan Williams DB coach and a former DC.

The Lions gave Schwartz two seasons after an extension including a 4-12 season in 2012. Caldwell will get 2018 to right the ship if the Lions falter these last five. But the Lions still have a great shot at 11-5 or 10-6.

Other teams get rid of coaches for not winning enough in the playoffs yet the Lions would give a guy who makes the playoffs half the time “one more chance”. That tells you all you need to know about the standards of professional football in this city. I’d argue that Caldwell needs at least one playoff win this season to justify sticking around. If they keep him after missing the playoffs this year it’ll just confirm the typical loser mentality that this franchise has had for decades, the extension sort of proved this already but I still have hope that they might correct this error.

Other teams get rid of coaches for not winning enough in the playoffs yet the Lions would give a guy who makes the playoffs half the time ?one more chance?. That tells you all you need to know about the standards of professional football in this city. I?d argue that Caldwell needs at least one playoff win this season to justify sticking around. If they keep him after missing the playoffs this year it?ll just confirm the typical loser mentality that this franchise has had for decades, the extension sort of proved this already but I still have hope that they might correct this error.

If they make playoffs. Caldwell would be in playoffs 3 of 4 seasons including 2 in a row. You don't dump a good coach like Caldwell. Plus continuity

If they make playoffs. Caldwell would be in playoffs 3 of 4 seasons including 2 in a row. You don't dump a good coach like Caldwell. Plus continuity

37.5% of the league gets into the playoffs each year, I hardly consider appearances to be all that impressive. If anything, that should be the bare minimum requirement for success. It?s year 4 now for a team that wasn?t in rebuild mode, they should be better than a fringe WC team.

37.5% of the league gets into the playoffs each year, I hardly consider appearances to be all that impressive. If anything, that should be the bare minimum requirement for success. It?s year 4 now for a team that wasn?t in rebuild mode, they should be better than a fringe WC team.

Tons of injuries in games against the Falcons (plus the run off), Saints and end of Vikings game. Close losses to Panthers and Steelers. Real close against Steelers. Razor thin between 10-1 and 9-2 and 6-5 with this team even with run game woes and Dline injuries.

We'll see how they finish

If Caldwell won a playoff game he just might get the key to the city. When's the last time the Lions got into the playoffs in back to back years? Just based on that it won't happen.

I doubt he gets canned this year even if no playoffs.. Detroit has always been the "one more year" team. Remember the statement Wayne Fontes made "What's a guy gotta do to get fired around here?"

If Caldwell won a playoff game he just might get the key to the city. When's the last time the Lions got into the playoffs in back to back years? Just based on that it won't happen.

I doubt he gets canned this year even if no playoffs.. Detroit has always been the "one more year" team. Remember the statement Wayne Fontes made "What's a guy gotta do to get fired around here?"

My biggest worry is that this franchise settles with being average every season because it?s better than being bad every season. I have visions of Jim Caldwell becoming Detroit?s Marvin Lewis...and that?s terrifying.

My biggest worry is that this franchise settles with being average every season because it?s better than being bad every season. I have visions of Jim Caldwell becoming Detroit?s Marvin Lewis...and that?s terrifying.

Same. I would have canned him when Quinn came here. And I don't get these extensions because a HC gets to a playoff and loses.

We don't know how the long extension was. That is a key really

We don't know how the long extension was. That is a key really

I think it's more key if both his coordinators leave. Caldwell doesnt have this amazing coaching tree he can go pick from to get new coordinators. Lombardi and cooter were both qb coaches without their own playbook. 1 was a huge mistake...1 doesn't understand nfl run game fundamentals.

If both coordinators leave... you absolutely are justified in canning him so you can get coordinators that are worth a shit.

Last edited:
I think it's more key if both his coordinators leave. Caldwell durst have this amazing coaching tree he can go pick from to get new coordinators. Lombardi and cooter were both qb coaches without their own playbook. 1 was a huge mistake...1 doesn't understand nfl run game fundamentals.

If both coordinators leave... you absolutely are justified in canning him so you can get coordinators that are worth a shit.

Caldwell has two former DCs on the staff already in Alan Williams (Vikings) and Bill Sheridan (Bucs). Koureck could get a shot too

Or on defense. Bring a guy and let him run the D. Like Schwartz in Philly was brought in for Pederson. Caldwell hands off the D pretty much anyway now.

Offense. He could call plays if he wanted. Nobody really to promote on the offensive staff. Would need outside if Cooter left.

Last edited:
Back