Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Did Harbaugh whiff on the QB's this season?

hungry

Going into the end of August, most of us nobodies on the board guessed at the depth chart...maybe hoped...that it was Peters, Speight, Okorn...

Harbaugh, of course, went with Speight, Okorn, Peters...

I know this is pointless, but what the hell, what might've been if Harbaugh had agreed with us?

I don't know.

Michigan was pretty good with Speight last season until he was injured in the Iowa game.

I've had a feeling he never recovered from that injury mentally; which was part of his crappy performance.

I guess Harbaugh may have put one of the other two guys in sooner, but anyway, Speight was injured again and Harbaugh put in O'Korn.

O'Korn did pretty well at first, quite bit better than Speight, then he started to suck ass.

I guess Harbaugh could have put in Peters sooner, but O'Korn got hurt and Peters went in anyway, and he was pretty good until he got hurt.

So maybe should have pulled the trigger sooner in two cases.

Yeah, he did.

He is supposed to be a quarterback guru/whisperer. And Michigan STILL doesn't have the QB position solved going into Year 4. That's scary.

According to the MgoBlowers, we don't even need Shea Patterson because we are stacked at quarterback next year with the new Freshman coming in. Whaaaaat? It is apparent that the fucking idiots over there have never seen him play and they have a crystal ball telling them that Peters will sling it like crazy and McCaffery is the second coming. Yes, this is most of them by the way. I say take proven 5 star(if he wants to come) and let a real competition begin instead of just handing the reins over to someone who happens to know the whole playbook, but can't execute it very well.

I think Harbaugh's thinking on the QB situation went a bit like this. He knew he had the youngest team in college football and while he knew Peters and probably McCaffrey were more talented he wanted a veteran at QB hoping that would make up for the inexperience at the skill positions. Then when Wilton got hurt he gave O'Korn a chance because he had sat for two years and earned a shot/ JOK played well vs Purdue in part I think because the coach at Houston who benched him is now at Purdue as OC. After the debacle that was the MSU game he knew Peters was the way to go but didnt want Peters first start to be vs a top 5 team on the road at night in a hostile environment. JOK was given one more shot vs Rutgers but was clearly on a short leash and once Peters went in the team seemed to have given a boost. Almost like the whole team knew Peters should have been the starter all along but we will never know for sure.

The problem really wasnt just the QB situation but also all the injuries this team had. They were so young and so inexperienced that they really couldnt absorb all the injuries they had. Black was a huge loss then we never seemed to have the team on the field we wanted between the TE's and RB's also missing time. This year just seems to be one thing after another they had to overcome and while they played well at times it was keys plays couldnt be made. I still dont think this team is that far off from being really very good. I expect a big jump next year as long as we dont get a lot of key players jumping ship.

According to the MgoBlowers,

I was about to slam MGoBlog for slamming Peters before he got a chance, but I took the time to look up the post I was thinking of and it was actually Rivals. ...it's not as bad as I remembered it. Either way, never listen to Chris Balas of Rivals.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/chris-b...uiting-mistakes-and-appears-have-been-big-one

Chris Balas on Brandon Peters: "There are recruiting mistakes, and this appears to have been a big one."

I'm also wondering in Quail2theVictors is M&B09.

Speight is transferring ...
O'Korn is done ...
Malzone is transferring ...

That tells me it's clearly McCaffrey sooner than later and after Peters' play this season, that he will likely be the starter next Fall and all three know it. I don't think he whiffed as much as Peters struggled over the summer and O'Korn had the experience. Next season is a clean slate, with better QBs than all three above already in A2 or on the way.

Last edited:
No excuses now. The QB's in the room are all coach Harbaughs

But I think that's the truth ...Jake Rudock wasn't necessarily a "Harbaugh guy" but he improved dramatically. O'Korn and Speight seemed rattled mentally and Peters was supposed to always be "Andrew Luck like" and the first of his type of QB.

McCaffrey is exactly that same model of QB, only better. I think the QB future is now very bright at UM.

But I think that's the truth ...Jake Rudock wasn't necessarily a "Harbaugh guy" but he improved dramatically. O'Korn and Speight seemed rattled mentally and Peters was supposed to always be "Andrew Luck like" and the first of his type of QB.

McCaffrey is exactly that same model of QB, only better. I think the QB future is now very bright at UM.

The future is bright. I just hope that they stay healthy.

They are very young, as well. I know, I know. Some young QB's do well.

The future is bright. I just hope that they stay healthy.

They are very young, as well. I know, I know. Some young QB's do well.
Peters isn't young anymore. He'll be in his third year next season.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I'm sick and tired of being right. Michigan IS interested in Shea Patterson according to Sam Webb who said they weren't last week. Things being kept hush hush it seems. They are trying to see through what means they can get him eligible. Other players from Ole Miss are getting attorneys to be eligible to play at other schools right away.

Jesus no more grad transfers please at qb jim . Use Peters or McCaffery and get them experience.

Jesus no more grad transfers please at qb jim . Use Peters or McCaffery and get them experience.

Um, Bob, if we wouldv had this kid, this year or last, we would be staring at 2 division titles and 2 trips to the Big10 Championship. He's good and we could use him for depth even if Peters or McCaffery happens to be better in the long run.

Back