Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The "Just wins something" crowd

Let me preface this comment by saying beating your rivals is important, and I hate losing to MSU and OSU (and ND) as much as anyone, but Harbaugh's record so far is 28-10, which is a very good first 3 years for ANY coach, anywhere.

The "1-5 record in rivalry games" stat people keep bitching about is not a fair and objective standard. Especially because that record is one fumbled snap and a 2-OT road loss amid questionable refereeing away from being 3-3. Those two losses aren't on Harbaugh... he had his team in position to win the games.

Let me preface this comment by saying beating your rivals is important, and I hate losing to MSU and OSU (and ND) as much as anyone, but Harbaugh's record so far is 28-10, which is a very good first 3 years for ANY coach, anywhere.

The "1-5 record in rivalry games" stat people keep bitching about is not a fair and objective standard. Especially because that record is one fumbled snap and a 2-OT road loss amid questionable refereeing away from being 3-3. Those two losses aren't on Harbaugh... he had his team in position to win the games.

Completely agree with you. The losses have sucked, but it's not like we are getting slaughtered in rivalry games the way we did with Dick Rod and Hoke.

Harbaugh didn't inherit a goldmine. We had some good pieces on D, but the o-line, QB and WR depth were a train wreck. As frustrating as it is, we knew this would be a rebuilding process.

The fumbled snap I'll agree. OSU last year I'm not just going to dismiss so easily though. Fact of the matter is Michigan was up 17-7 in that game in the third quarter and I thought Urban definitely outcoached Harbaugh in the second half. Michigan played not to lose and OSU played aggressive and ended up with the win. There were definitely things Harbaugh and the coaching staff could have done differently to put us in a better position. OSU controlled the second half. Harbaugh also gave them free yards on his sideline tantrum which helped them score a TD.

That loss is not ALL on Harbaugh, I'm just saying I thought Meyer definitely was the better coach that day.

Last edited:
The fumbled snap I'll agree. OSU last year I'm not just going to dismiss so easily though. Fact of the matter is Michigan was up 17-7 in that game in the third quarter and I thought Urban definitely outcoached Harbaugh in the second half. Michigan played not to lose and OSU played aggressive and ended up with the win. There were definitely things Harbaugh and the coaching staff could have done differently to put us in a better position. OSU controlled the second half. Harbaugh also gave them free yards on his sideline tantrum which helped them score a TD.

That loss is not ALL on Harbaugh, I'm just saying I thought Meyer definitely was the better coach that day.

Okay, well, that's a different discussion...

Don't forget the weather vs MSU this year, he's really 4-2 vs rivals, what more do you want from the guy? What about Peters getting hurt? should have beaten OSU this year with him, that makes him 5-1

You don't put any of that fumbled punt on Harbaugh?

The entire series before was a collection of shit play calls, and then he has gunners on a full-on punt rush. He owns a ton of blame for that.

You don't put any of that fumbled punt on Harbaugh?

The entire series before was a collection of shit play calls, and then he has gunners on a full-on punt rush. He owns a ton of blame for that.

Huh? All the punter had to do was catch the snap and punt it away. Game over. Instead he dropped the snap and basically threw it directly to a MSU player.

Huh? All the punter had to do was catch the snap and punt it away. Game over. Instead he dropped the snap and basically threw it directly to a MSU player.

Maybe they should have lined up in max protect considering we didn't have anyone deep, maybe don't have a gunner lined up against nobody. get a first down and the game is over.

In close games there are a number of things that you can focus on that could have changed the outcome. Fans tend to focus on those that they consider to be bad luck. Over time that stuff evens out and your record reflects how good you are.

Don't forget the weather vs MSU this year, he's really 4-2 vs rivals, what more do you want from the guy? What about Peters getting hurt? should have beaten OSU this year with him, that makes him 5-1

thanks for your helpful response.

That play is completely different if there are not gunners going up field in an all-rush situation. It's inexplicable the way that entire series and punt was handled.

Ton of that falls on the coach.

thanks for your helpful response.

That kind of rationalization of his record is comical, again, you can point to a number of things in close games. If OSU could have made a chip shot field goal in 2016 that game never would have gone to OT, etc.

Harbaugh may end up winning championships at Michigan, maybe not, of course it's not a given. The frustration from the fan base shouldn't be related to this season, with a team that young, losing that much, you can't expect much more than 8-4. I think the frustration is a function of the last 13 years with no big ten title, no trip to indy, etc. That wasn't going to be solved this year with the youth on that team, it's not their fault that expectations were out of whack with the roster.

That kind of rationalization of his record is comical, again, you can point to a number of things in close games. If OSU could have made a chip shot field goal in 2016 that game never would have gone to OT, etc.

Harbaugh may end up winning championships at Michigan, maybe not, of course it's not a given. The frustration from the fan base shouldn't be related to this season, with a team that young, losing that much, you can't expect much more than 8-4. I think the frustration is a function of the last 13 years with no big ten title, no trip to indy, etc. That wasn't going to be solved this year with the youth on that team, it's not their fault that expectations were out of whack with the roster.

Ok.

Here and elsewhere, it's tough to pin down what's going on with MSU posters. They want something from us. It's like they want to tell us what we should feel, so they can correct us and tell us we're wrong. Just weird nonsensical posts all over the map. But they're still all over every thread.

"8-4 was reasonable given the situation and you're all delusional with crazy expectations, but you should be angry with Harbaugh for being so bad and 4th place! LOL!"

Here and elsewhere, it's tough to pin down what's going on with MSU posters. They want something from us. It's like they want to tell us what we should feel, so they can correct us and tell us we're wrong. Just weird nonsensical posts all over the map. But they're still all over every thread.

"8-4 was reasonable given the situation and you're all delusional with crazy expectations, but you should be angry with Harbaugh for being so bad and 4th place! LOL!"

you-weak-minded-fool-shes-using-an-old-jedi-mind-15658979.png

they're just looking for some sort of validation.

say something nice about their alma mater and they'll go away and leave us alone, without even remembering what they were trying to say in the first place.

I was trying to offer an outsiders view, if I meant to troll you I would have taken a different route. 8-4 after losing 18 starters isn't a terrible season by any means.

BTW, there are plenty of UM posterss on the MSU board.

I was trying to offer an outsiders view, if I meant to troll you I would have taken a different route. 8-4 after losing 18 starters isn't a terrible season by any means.

BTW, there are plenty of UM posterss on the MSU board.

We have other rivals to give us some perspective. It's weird that Spartan outsider views are so different from Buckeye outsider views.

When MSU went 3-9 in 2016, did any of the M posters here even care?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That play is completely different if there are not gunners going up field in an all-rush situation. It's inexplicable the way that entire series and punt was handled.

Ton of that falls on the coach.

May I borrow your flux capacitor so I can go back to that day and adjust the punt protection?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back