Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Caldwell?s extension gives guarantee through 2018 now signs w/ dolphins

Stafford wasn't sacked yesterday, for the first time in 2 years. He was and likely still is #1 in the NFL. Lions still need to improve both oline run/pass protection, as well as run/pass D, (Ngata gone+Ansah inj/less effective) they could use a deep threat @ WR or TE, another good CB, a RZ RB, and Cooter/Prince fired/demoted. I'm okay with Caldwell for one more season, but if Quinn manages to acquire who is needed in the offseason via FA, trades, and picks, and absent multiple/key injuries, the Lions still fail to clinch and win a playoff game, then he should be bid goodbye.

Theres more of a concern if you want cooter gone now but keep Caldwell. That means you get a new oc next year. Then when you fire Caldwell you get another new oc the following year. You either keep both or fire both. Firing cooter when Caldwell has zero coaching tree just means we get some other up and coming guy that's never been in that position before. You're better off just firing both.... but we won't.

Stafford wasn't sacked yesterday, for the first time in 2 years. He was and likely still is #1 in the NFL. Lions still need to improve both oline run/pass protection, as well as run/pass D, (Ngata gone+Ansah inj/less effective) they could use a deep threat @ WR or TE, another good CB, a RZ RB, and Cooter/Prince fired/demoted. I'm okay with Caldwell for one more season, but if Quinn manages to acquire who is needed in the offseason via FA, trades, and picks, and absent multiple/key injuries, the Lions still fail to clinch and win a playoff game, then he should be bid goodbye.

Six teams have been sacked more. Lions also throw a lot so in terms of sacks per attempt he's sacked at the 12th highest rate in the NFL. I think with a healthly Oline and Stafford legs being healthy (he took a lot of sacks when he couldn't move well), the pass protection is fine.

Run blocking needs to improve.

To me the biggest glaring weakness of this team is their D-line. You need to get pressure more often. Secondary does a decent job. There was a reason the year we had a dominate D-line we were top 3 in scoring defense. Pressure and sacks is what matters.

Theres more of a concern if you want cooter gone now but keep Caldwell. That means you get a new oc next year. Then when you fire Caldwell you get another new oc the following year. You either keep both or fire both. Firing cooter when Caldwell has zero coaching tree just means we get some other up and coming guy that's never been in that position before. You're better off just firing both.... but we won't.

That?s why they better be damn sure of what they decide to do. The main pieces on this team aren?t that old, but one wasted year in their prime (and one contract year) could hurt them in the long run. If they aren?t confident that a Caldwell-led team could be a contender next year, then he has to go. If they don?t start off well next season with a slightly altered staff, they?ll basically have one season with a lame duck staff and one more with a first year HC.

I?d rather they just get started with the next staff now since I don?t believe Caldwell is the guy. I think keeping him just delays the inevitable, hope he proves me wrong. Sure the next staff could be total dogshit, but I don?t know what better options they have, it?s a risk I think they need to take.

Six teams have been sacked more. Lions also throw a lot so in terms of sacks per attempt he's sacked at the 12th highest rate in the NFL. I think with a healthly Oline and Stafford legs being healthy (he took a lot of sacks when he couldn't move well), the pass protection is fine.

Run blocking needs to improve.

To me the biggest glaring weakness of this team is their D-line. You need to get pressure more often. Secondary does a decent job. There was a reason the year we had a dominate D-line we were top 3 in scoring defense. Pressure and sacks is what matters.

Ansah, Ngata and Hyder health has a lot to do with the Dline. However, Ansah is a FA, Ngata and Hyder are coming off big injuries and Ngata a FA and Hyder RFA I believe. Dline a must just based on that

The FA situation is not great at DE. Ansah is best one and will need to be brought back. Even at a franchise. tag unfortunately. You can't rely on rookie DEs and Zettel/Washington only.

Better at DT though Sheldon Richardson looks like a jerk. Poe would be good addition since Ngata had a major injury

If our guys are always injured then what good are they?

If our guys are always injured then what good are they?

Ngata and Hyder are not always injured. First time for each on IR. Ansah has been banged up for 2 seasons now. But it doesn't mean it will stay that way going forward. Look at Stafford 2009/2010 then beyond. Ansah isn't a long term thing just nagging things.

Ansah can be a good player the rest of 2017 and 2018. We shall see what Quinn does. The FA market is weak at DE especially if Lawrence gets tagged like he should by Dallas

Ngata and Hyder on one year deals wouldn't be bad either FOR DEPTH. Still need to find a starting DT for sure and another good DE even if they bring Ansah back

Dontari Poe, Robinson, Ngata and Ledbetter/Hill/Spence would be a good combo

Ansah healthy,Zettel,Washington and 1st round DE would be good too

Davis, JRM and either Whitehead back or another good coverage LB. Davis must figure out his coverage quickly

Slay and Tabor, Diggs showing things at safety with Quin. Still have Killebrew for depth at SS. Would need a vet CB that could start and a nickel if Diggs is moving

Power running back Round 2 or Round 3

Center/LG depends on Swanson and if they want to move Glasgow.

Need tackle depth though C Robinson actually played well at RT yesterday for Wagner

Last edited:
So what you're saying is we're always injured?

Ngata and Hyder weren't always hurt. They were this year. though Ansah healthy for most part 2013-2015. but his injuries in 2016/2017 were pretty big for Detroit.

Dline will get some new healthy blood. Don't worry. But Ansah, Robinson, Washington and Zettel can still be successful for Detroit. Ngata and Hyder in the right role two on one year deals

How does this hold up with your theory that we're the most injured team in the league every year?

How does this hold up with your theory that we're the most injured team in the league every year?

It holds up because other people got hurt each year (other than Ansah two years). More important players than most other teams.

This year was the Dline and Oline and Stafford ankle at the wrong times

2012 and 2013 it was weapons no longer with the team and lots of DB injuries too

2014 fairly healthy and 11-5 with dominating defense

2015 was more refs in 3-4 games

2016 was Ansah, Abdullah, Slay, Stafford last 4 and playoffs

Lions will catch a break soon enough

Would be awesome if our two biggest competitors in the division lost their starting QBs for a considerable amount of time. We would be the favorites for sure.

Packers got lucky it was the easiest part of their schedule. They went 3-5 without Rodgers. Lions had worse injuries and harder games so far. If Rodgers hurt the first 6-7 games, they don't win a game.

Also the pick 6 against the Bucs and the Kizer int is the luckies things I have ever seen. Green Bay is super lucky to have won the last two games in OT

Keenum is an upgrade over Bridgewater and Bradford so that is actually bad luck for the Lions

Last edited:
Would be awesome if our two biggest competitors in the division lost their starting QBs for a considerable amount of time. We would be the favorites for sure.

Even better if the other rival was awful for years and opted to go with their first round pick @ QB

why is our players injured all the time? maybe someone needs to look into the conditioning programs.

You could create a injured players team that would win the Superbowl. You know, if they weren't injured. So many big injuries this year.

Back