Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

the fact that poverty and hunger - especially childhood hunger - has persisted in America tells me the religious charity available is more marketing than substance.

or when people actually try to get it, there are way more strings attached than non-poor Americans realize, and so by design, it only serves a handful of people in any given place.

the fact that poverty and hunger - especially childhood hunger - has persisted in America tells me the religious charity available is more marketing than substance.

or when people actually try to get it, there are way more strings attached than non-poor Americans realize, and so by design, it only serves a handful of people in any given place.

What marketing? Most people don't know it exists if they're not involved. And what strings? I know the stereotype. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but the fact that you think it's the norm implies there isn't enough marketing.

this is some of your best speculation yet. Do you have any evidence for this? What's the answer? let me guess, end private charity and have the government run it? obviously they're much better at at ending poverty and childhood hunger

There is definitely a problem associated with poverty and nutrition in this country.

But hunger? Not so much.

The Blessed Mother is Cleaning House.

Link

But this is beyond scandalous. It?s diabolical. Another example of the infestation that began more than 100 years ago.

I have a Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament every Wednesday at 4:00 a.m. and I had already decided to make a Holy Hour of Reparation.

It takes the entire 60 minutes to complete.

Last edited:
a week or two ago I saw the Southern Baptists are busy trying to keep the cover on their own similar scandal right now.

a week or two ago I saw the Southern Baptists are busy trying to keep the cover on their own similar scandal right now.

Sexual abuse is pervasive throughout virtually any enterprise we can consider. Not an excuse, just the truth.

Sexual abuse is pervasive throughout virtually any enterprise we can consider. Not an excuse, just the truth.

I think the Catholic Church got a disproportionate amount of bad press because of the monolithic structure.

You see these abuse stories at some Bible Camp, or protestant church, and they appear more of an isolated, local problem (at least publicly) because they aren't transferring molestors around from parish to parish to hide the problem.

My understanding of how pastors get jobs at Episcopal, Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, etc. parishes is it's more of a job interview with the local church board or directors (or whatever the hell they call themselves). There's not a national Bishop or Cardinal moving them around like that. (Right?)

Here in TX, it seems like the non-denomintational/megachurches are more independent business operations; a pastor rents space, and runs his own show for his own profit. But even some of the Protestant-church affiliates (Baptist, Methodist, etc.) take out billboards advertising their services, from what I've seen... beer, movies, plastic surgery, churches, and fast food... all competing for YOUR dollars!

I think the Catholic Church got a disproportionate amount of bad press because of the monolithic structure.

Good take. Probably the primary factor. But I do also think the Catholic Church lives in a special place where the non-religious don't like us on one side and the hyper-evangelical on the other side REALLY don't like us.

Good take. Probably the primary factor. But I do also think the Catholic Church lives in a special place where the non-religious don't like us on one side and the hyper-evangelical on the other side REALLY don't like us.

Wow, that?s rough.

That sounds like a wear-wolf trying to get laid at a TGI Fridays.

Last edited:

Still the Catholic Church is mainstream in America and part of the establishment in America. And I'm surprised, in hindsight, the press really hammered the Church on this (rightly so, but...) and the publishers and editors didn't help the church bury it.

I think it's the monolithic structure that's responsible.... crusading reporters could make a big splash here, whereas going after the same sort of abuse at some
two bit Baptist Church or Bible Camp would look like more of a local problem.

FWIW, I don't speak for ALL non-religious, but I think if you forced us to choose between Catholicism or evangelical Christianity, most would choose the former.

That's why evangelicals are overrepresented among military chaplains now (link... from 2014... I assume it's only gotten worse)... they don't broker any dissent in the ranks, and are AOK with launching wars against whoever for whatever reason, killing, torturing, etc.

still the catholic church is mainstream in america and part of the establishment in america. And i'm surprised, in hindsight, the press really hammered the church on this (rightly so, but...) and the publishers and editors didn't help the church bury it.

I think it's the monolithic structure that's responsible.... Crusading reporters could make a big splash here, whereas going after the same sort of abuse at some two bit baptist church or bible camp or synagogue, boy scout troop or public school district would look like more of a local problem.

Fwiw, i don't speak for all non-religious, but i think if you forced us to choose between catholicism or evangelical christianity, most would choose the former.

That's why evangelicals are overrepresented among military chaplains now (link... From 2014... I assume it's only gotten worse)... They don't broker any dissent in the ranks, and are aok with launching wars against whoever for whatever reason, killing, torturing, etc.

fify.

It?s been this way for 600 years and more. And it will ever be this way. Our job is to pray for the conversion of souls.

"A viral video shows a man disrupting Sunday mass at St. Frances Cabrini Parish in Lakewood before getting into a physical confrontation at the altar.

I think the physical confrontation he started had more to with him getting dragged out of the church than not wearing a mask.

that's funny.

wwjd...kick that guy's ass!

for you heathens, wwjd = what would jesus do :cheers:

To disrupt The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, especially during the actual consecration, is a mortal sin, I can say with reasonable certainly, if this man is Catholic. I only hope that the actual Transubstantiation had not transpired yet, because it was certainly spilled. Glad that the men there stepped in and intervened after he violated the sanctuary of the altar.

The priest never should have left the altar and left the Body and Blood of Our Precious Lord exposed like that, either. Nor should he have stopped celebrating the Mass.

Apparently there was some history with this guy ? he was not allowed on the property, let alone the church.

Back