Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Donald Trump and the Civil War

He dosent know haw it began, and most Americans do not know when it ended.
This is a good article.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/05/donald-trump-civil-war-reconstruction-eric-foner-history

Thomas Wentworth Higginson. (I wonder if Bobby is related lol ).

http://higginson.unl.edu/introduction.html

both interesting articles. never heard of Higginson before.

the Reconstruction story is depressing as hell. Undermines the argument that the South nobly acknowledged when they were beaten and surrendered. America's first terrorists...

He's a fucking idiot but of course that's part of his appeal

Sadly it is only going to get worse before it gets any better probably. Trump and his adminstration are complete morons.

Last edited:
Trump and all the stooges he packed his cabinet with are all so fucking awful. They all blow.

Everything pretty much sucks right now. and fucking Hillary & the rest of the fucking Clintons won't go away... that was the one silver lining I thought we could look forward to after last November.

This book addresses the concept of how the Confederate Army might have been converted into a huge terrorist organization.

"...but why was there the Civil War?" The Macro answer: Perceived mutually contradictory ideas that, in reality, were identical. When both sides believe that the other side is purposely and maliciously conspiring to usurp freedom from the other and that their own side is working to preserve that freedom, war is likely.

Last edited:
As for Trump and his misplaced timeline: I recall that Al Gore was in Monticello, where he saw four busts in a room of the mansion and asked "Who are these people?" The first bust the curator identified was Geo. Washington. The second was Benj. Franklin. The third was the Marquis de Lafayette. (yes, he should have recognized him). The fourth was John Paul Jones (no, not the bassist and keyboardist for Led Zeppelin) and he gets a pass for not recognizing him. I don't recall much of a furor over that incident. Nonetheless Trump needs to read some books.

Not enough Trumpets around here any more. I miss actual discussion.

Why was there a Civil War?

Oh I don't know... whatever conclusion you want to come to, don't read the actual articles of secession from any Confederate state... they tended not to "age well" so to speak.

Why was there a Civil War?

Oh I don't know... whatever conclusion you want to come to, don't read the actual articles of secession from any Confederate state... they tended not to "age well" so to speak.

Why selected slave states seceded from the Union and why there was a civil war are two different questions.

But this is stunning to read: "These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization." ... Mississippi

" *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states." Texas

South: (in literally each state's articles if secession) we are seceeding because we want to preserve slavery.

North: ah, now, um hold on...

South: *fires on Fort Sumter*

North: Okay, well now you started a fucking war over it... I guess we have to do this the hard way...

South: (in literally each state's articles if secession) we are seceeding because we want to preserve slavery.

North: ah, now, um hold on...

South: *fires on Fort Sumter*

North: Okay, well now you started a fucking war over it... I guess we have to do this the hard way...

Michamp, the moment the south seceded, federal government lost all claims on the land including military fortifications. Considering the yankees were not heeding any call to remove their troops and indeed attempted to reinforce their positions, is the reason why they were fired upon.

Its not like the south seceded and immediately started fighting. There was a significant time that passed which the South had given the Yankees to pull their troops back.

Hence the first act of aggression would not have been the Confederates firing upon the fort, but the attempt of the union to reinforce the fort.

Back