Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL.com ranks our draft

I wasn't thrilled with the picks but what Quinn did in the draft last year makes me give the benefit of the doubt. If the picks don't make some impact on team wins then I will begin to question Quinn's picks.

I know I can only speak for myself, but I pay NO attention to draft "grades". Lets let these guys take the field first to see what they can do.

I'm actually pretty pumped about Tabor and Reeves-Maybin. They could BOTH be day 1 starters. If that happens.....we'd would have drafted 3 defensive starters in the first 4 rounds. That's not bad.

Last edited:
In 2011 we had one of the highest draft grades:

Nick Fairley
Titus Young
Mikel Leshoure
Doug Hogue
Johnny Culbreath

In 2011 we had one of the highest draft grades:

Nick Fairley
Titus Young
Mikel Leshoure
Doug Hogue
Johnny Culbreath

Nick Fairley - Solid NFL career.....not worth a 1st rounder.
Titus Young - The talent to be a 1,300 yard WR.....the brains to be a garbage man.
Mikel Leshoure - Injury and the ganja.....that's called Charles Rogers-ering yourself out of the NFL.
Doug Hogue - Hey.....he was pretty fast, right?
Johnny Culbreath - Who?

I know I can only speak for myself, but I pay NO attention to draft "grades". Lets let these guys take the field first to see what they can do.

I'm actually pretty pumped about Tabor and Reeves-Maybin. They could BOTH be day 1 starters. If that happens.....we'd would have drafted 3 defensive starters in the first 4 rounds. That's not bad.

I guess my only issue is 3 defensive staters should have been a lock out of this draft and instead we ended up with 2 "could be staters. "

My other issue is... after its all said and done.... we might have improved or lbs from last year... maybe. But we did nothing to improve our dline which is awful. And i can't say our secondary is any better just cause we added a 4.8 corner.

I dont think it was a horrible draft by any means. I will agree that while we covered a lot of needs....im not sure how much better we really are after this draft. Does roberts or Golladay even see the field? Both were viewed as a reach when taken. Teez is a maybe starter. So when you go: starter, maybe starter, reach bench, reach bench in the first 4 rounds, then youre probably going to get a low draft grade.

Said it before....i wish we could have done what baltimore did with their draft....completely redesigned their defense with marlon humphrey, tyus bowser (some thought we would take in rd 1), wormley (some mocks had him in rd 1), tim williams (projected 1st rd pick before the off field issues surfaced).

Last edited:
I guess my only issue is 3 defensive staters should have been a lock out of this draft and instead we ended up with 2 "could be staters. "

My other issue is... after its all said and done.... we might have improved or lbs from last year... maybe. But we did nothing to improve our dline which is awful. And i can't say our secondary is any better just cause we added a 4.8 corner.

Joe Haden ran an official 4.57 while Tabor's was a 4.62.

You're basing his entire skill set as a CB on his 40 time??? Just like there was "NO WAY" Corey Davis was going to get drafted before Mike Williams or John Ross, right? C'mon man, you're smarter than that.

Joe Haden ran an official 4.57 while Tabor's was a 4.62.

You're basing his entire skill set as a CB on his 40 time??? Just like there was "NO WAY" Corey Davis was going to get drafted before Mike Williams or John Ross, right? C'mon man, you're smarter than that.

Im not putting that much weight on his 40 time....its just part of what he is which is a slower corner. The bottom line is i dont know if we got any better?....is Teez/Slay is any better than Lawson/Slay.

40 times are the most overrated freaking thing in the NFL draft process, ESPECIALLY for CBs. How often are they running in a FORWARD straight line?? Basically never.

I want to know how he turns, cuts, rotates, jumps, etc... 40 yard dash means squat.

Thats fine if you guys have that opinion....but im referencing his 40 time because its part of the draft grading process. This is how people see our draft:

rd 1 starter
rd 2 slow timed potential starter. Its part of his downside and EVERY single draft grade site will speak about this when they grade the pick. Its not my opinion....its everyones opinion.
rd 3 reach wr which is a position of need but he wont take much time from jones or tate.
rd 4 reach TE that is projected to be a part time player in Red zone, run situations or 2 TE sets. Plays behind the MUN.

That will net you a low draft grade. In comparison to say a team like baltimore. That got:

rd 1 corner that fell lower than expected due to run on offensive players. great value
rd 2 tyus bowser late riser that was in a lot of round 1 mocks as of late. great value
3 wormley which was projected late rd 1 early rd 2. great value that fell
4 tim williams once a projected 1st rd prospect. Great value

That will net you a good draft grade every time.

Last edited:
Sure it is part of his downside. But again, how often are CBs running a flat 40 yard dash facing their OWN endzone? Basically never. It's always backpedal, flipping hips, and then going maybe another 10-15 yards at most, unless it's a 60 yard bomb.

I agree with Hughes.. correct or incorrect, the draftniks are rating our draft based on what they value, and 40 is a big part of that.

I also agree with dubs, 40 time is a pretty pointless stat.

The Combine, for smart scouts, is a place to find those guys who maybe played in the wrong system, or who had coaches that were sub-par. It doesn't change game tape. It doesn't say "Hey, 4 years of great film was wrong on this guy, he's really to slow to play".

Teez played at a level that should have had him in the discussions for a top 15 pick. He gave up, what, two TDs in three years or something crazy? He's a baller. His 40 time isn't changing that. But guys who talk about the draft hate it.

Realistically, our draft on paper looks weak given our needs and the depth of this draft. However, Quinn zeroed in on guys he wanted, just like The Hoodie does. He didn't take players just because "they were there".. he went after guys he wanted for this team.

Three years from now, we will know how well he did. None of these guys have taken a snap yet... anyone giving draft grades this early is writing about football instead of working in football for a reason.

Literally just about every pick we made was a huge reach outside of the first round and the tight end from Toledo. We took a 3rd round receiver projected to go on 4-6. Reeves maybin was projected a 7th rounder to undrafted. Disgusting.

Last edited:
Draft grades are a joke. Saying that, Daniel Jeremiah gave us an A- lol. He loved the Davis pick. He scoffed at Tabor's 40 time. Lions system fits Tabor to a tee and I actually think he was nutting over the Roberts pick. Called him a potential "starting TE" one day.

2 starters on D is solid. Then you got players like Golladay and Roberts that should immediately contribute. Golladay can fly, great hands and is a RZ beast. Roberts is a RZ monster as well. It was a solid draft...

And going back to the DLine. Austin always has one DLinemen that breaks out. Last yr it was Hyder. This yr it could be Washinghton. Word on the street is that the Bears might be regretting letting him walk....

Literally just about every pick we made was a huge reach outside of the first round and the tight end from Toledo. We took a 3rd round receiver projected to go on 4-6. Reeves maybin was projected a 7th rounder to undrafted. Disgusting.

who gives a fuck where they were projected to go? Projections mean shit. They picked up ball players that produced at a high level for their respected teams. Golladay had back-to-back 1,000 yd seasons with double digit TDs back-to-back.
Maybin was a tackling machine at Tennessee. Back-to-back 100+ tackle seasons before he got hurt last yr. So more than likely he was going higher in the 2017 draft if he didn't get hurt.
Nothing disgusting about this draft whatsoever. Do some fucking research.....

I would love to see some data mining to show how accurate the draft grades are to how the players actually pan out.

It makes me laugh every year when talking heads talk about a team reaching for a player. I remember reading that New England has 10-15 players a year they really look to draft. If that player is there you take him. Who cares if Kiper says he will be available later. Most of these guys have no clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouOQr8W12jo

NFL GMs put no stock what so ever in these draft blogs or draft grades, and the bloggers aren't sitting in the war room. They have no idea where 32 teams rated a guy. They are guessing based on their "years of experience" talking about football.

We, any of us, are literally as qualified as any draft blogger to grade the draft. I give the Lions draft an A++++.. best draft in history... greatest draft of all time... hands down a SuperBowl caliber draft... because inkfreq damned well says so... and if I wrote that on a Wordpress site instead of a fan forum... I'd be a draft blogger and it would count for just as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouOQr8W12jo

NFL GMs put no stock what so ever in these draft blogs or draft grades, and the bloggers aren't sitting in the war room. They have no idea where 32 teams rated a guy. They are guessing based on their "years of experience" talking about football.

We, any of us, are literally as qualified as any draft blogger to grade the draft. I give the Lions draft an A++++.. best draft in history... greatest draft of all time... hands down a SuperBowl caliber draft... because inkfreq damned well says so... and if I wrote that on a Wordpress site instead of a fan forum... I'd be a draft blogger and it would count for just as much.

PREACH!!!! :cheers:

I really wish the world worked the way the NFL Draft does, where you get grades without taking a snap.

My computer courses in college would have been a breeze.

"Don is a smart guy. He knows computers very well. High IQ. He gets an A... we can give him the actual test later."

Only in sports do you grade a guy without him actually doing anything at that level first.

Back