Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Public Service Forgiveness

Yeah this is horseshit... But like I have been saying for the last 2 years Trump wants to follow Sam Brownback's disaster of economic plan that crippled the state of Kansas. They are now going to cripple regular Americans which is just Bullshit. Republicans just have no shame in the programs they want to cut that help the people who need it the most. Sorry your getting screwed . Hopefully it can be blocked somehow.

Last edited:
My only prayer is that this gets blocked, changed, or I'm allowed to be grandfathered in since I've been paying since 2013 towards the plan.

I wondered who the first dick to post in this thread would be.

And yet Trump and his klan want historic tax cuts to the top 1% yet again sadly.

Thanks Tom. You mean the plan that allowed someone like me to go back to school and pursue a career helping people, knowing that there was a lifeline after 10 years of public service?

Give me a fucking break. The plan gave people like myself (you know, not rich) hope. And now, the rich get fucking richer.

For the most part, what has happened in politics really hasn't affected me. But now, if people that started this plan aren't allowed to grandfather, the majority of my next 20-25 years are ruined financially. So continue to sit in that high tower and look down on people like myself who actually THOUGHT the government could help them for once.

And if this rule isn't grandfathered, I will be going to court, like hundreds of thousands of my fellow workers.

Last edited:
The article expressly states that it's unclear whether the program's elimination would be limited to new entrants or would also apply to people who have been participating in the program already.

On the face of it it would seem to me that that would be an unenforceable breach of contract.

Last edited:
Yes, and that's why if it was breached, you'd see me and a ton of other people in court. We signed up for this for a reason.

Yes, and that's why if it was breached, you'd see me and a ton of other people in court. We signed up for this for a reason.

As crazy as Trump et al is and are, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

It seems unimaginable to me that they would think they could pull the rug out from under current participants.

I'm guessing if there is a proposed elimination it would be for going forward.

And I feel terrible if that happens for some of my cohorts that are just getting involved in their programs, as I am close with many of these people.

We get into our programs, and this loan program is a HUGE HUGE reason why. We'll never make much money, and this was almost a thank you from the government for getting into this line of work. But that was too much to ask apparently.

And I feel terrible if that happens for some of my cohorts that are just getting involved in their programs, as I am close with many of these people.

Well sit tight and see what happens. Hopefully they'll be OK. My guess is the exclusion will apply to people who haven't done anything and are simply considering getting into the process; in that case it would simply be no longer an option.

Also at this point it's just speculation on a hypothetical budget proposal that once actually proposed would be submitted to Congress for approval or for changes.

Slate is a hyper partisan liberal website.

Hyper partisan media on both sides are in the business of convincing their audiences that the world is about to catch on fire.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. You mean the plan that allowed someone like me to go back to school and pursue a career helping people, knowing that there was a lifeline after 10 years of public service?

Give me a fucking break. The plan gave people like myself (you know, not rich) hope. And now, the rich get fucking richer.

For the most part, what has happened in politics really hasn't affected me. But now, if people that started this plan aren't allowed to grandfather, the majority of my next 20-25 years are ruined financially. So continue to sit in that high tower and look down on people like myself who actually THOUGHT the government could help them for once.

And if this rule isn't grandfathered, I will be going to court, like hundreds of thousands of my fellow workers.

what do you do for a living?

he said he works in public service. why does he need to provide you with more specifics? so some Republican prick who reads this can try to out him in real life?

I'm just wondering what kind of public service job he has, that needed a masters degree or better, doesn't pay well enough that will cause him to be in financial ruin for the next 20-25 years.

I could name 9000000 jobs that fit that criteria Tom. I don't need to tell you what I do specifically.

Just know I work in education, no summers off, make average money. I was planning my whole future finances with this loan forgiveness in mind.

I never got involved in this industry to make a lot of money, I knew that going in. But I had a great amount of excitement with the PSLF, like hundreds of thousands of my fellow educators. I truly, truly fear for those getting involved and are planning on using this as an option.

I have asked NOTHING from the government my whole life. They've done nothing but take. And the ONE TIME they finally give people like myself who want to make a difference a chance, they want to pull the rug back out.

Last edited:
Just wonder how much did you pay in tuition?

Prices are much different this side of the border.

I'm just wondering what kind of public service job he has, that needed a masters degree or better, doesn't pay well enough that will cause him to be in financial ruin for the next 20-25 years.

The thing is Tom-what difference does it make?

We, the People, through our elected representatives, entered into an agreement with a group of our fellow citizens and we are absolutely obligated to stand up to our end of the agreement.

Now taking that option away for anyone going forward would be an entirely different matter; The slate article indicates that Obama himself suggested capping the debt relief at 5
7K because of excesses that had inevitably crept into the system.

There's an article from the Brookings institute that's linked to in the slate article with the link back door something or other ir. said I don't have it in front of me that has suggestions for mitigating the successes short of eliminate. the program altogether

I'm doing voice recognition texting so I see there are some errors in this transcription but I'm sure you guys can translate what I'm actually saying..

The thing is Tom-what difference does it make?

We, the People, through our elected representatives, entered into an agreement with a group of our fellow citizens and we are absolutely obligated to stand up to our end of the agreement.

Now taking that option away for anyone going forward would be an entirely different matter; The slate article indicates that Obama himself suggested capping the debt relief at 5
7K because of excesses that had inevitably crept into the system.

There's an article from the Brookings institute that's linked to in the slate article with the link back door something or other ir. said I don't have it in front of me that has suggestions for mitigating the successes short of eliminate. the program altogether

I'm doing voice recognition texting so I see there are some errors in this transcription but I'm sure you guys can translate what I'm actually saying..

I agree that it's pretty shitty if they pull the program from people that already entered into the agreement. Of course, I don't know the details of the agreement that was in place. There could be language that it is not 100% guaranteed.

Back