Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DJ Wilson Staying in Draft

And regarding Austin Davis. If he can just play a SOMEWHAT similar role that Jordan Morgan had, they'll be just fine. Be that scrappy guy who can go in and grab rebounds and finish on pick-and-rolls.

That would mean we have to move Wagner to the 4. No way Davis can play 4.

Honestly, I think the whole concept of the 1-5 is a little washed out now. Other than your defined back court and front court, everyone has to do a little bit of everything now.

Honestly, I think the whole concept of the 1-5 is a little washed out now. Other than your defined back court and front court, everyone has to do a little bit of everything now.

I get that, but the 4 in our system is supposed to be a guy that can hit the corner 3. If Austin Davis is out there draining corner 3s next year, I might have an aneurysm.

Never say never.

And don't do that, you are one of 5 people on here that discusses Michigan basketball.

The only way he can play the 4 is if he puts on about 15 LBS of muscle.

Isn't Duncan Robinson like 6'8"? Couldn't he just play the 4?

That's what he's listed at, and he probably will play plenty of 4 unless we get a quality grad transfer. And even then he'd probably still see some time there. I thought his activity level on defense improved last year as the season went on, but he's a liability regardless of which position he plays. But this team is built on offense, for better or worse, and he definitely helps create the spacing that's necessary for the O to be efficient.

I could see Wagner getting some spot minutes there, but he would have his own foot speed issues when guarding some 4's, and we have no idea if Teske or Davis will be ready for extended minutes at the 5.

Isaiah Livers will probably be the best all around fit at the 4, but I'm assuming he'll have a limited role until he gets at least one summer at Camp Sanderson under his belt.

That's what he's listed at, and he probably will play plenty of 4 unless we get a quality grad transfer. And even then he'd probably still see some time there. I thought his activity level on defense improved last year as the season went on, but he's a liability regardless of which position he plays. But this team is built on offense, for better or worse, and he definitely helps create the spacing that's necessary for the O to be efficient.

I could see Wagner getting some spot minutes there, but he would have his own foot speed issues when guarding some 4's, and we have no idea if Teske or Davis will be ready for extended minutes at the 5.

Isaiah Livers will probably be the best all around fit at the 4, but I'm assuming he'll have a limited role until he gets at least one summer at Camp Sanderson under his belt.

Robinson is our worst defender. This bit from MGoBlog does a good job of illustrating the gap between Wilson and Robinson on the defensive end:

This is where things get hairy. According to Synergy, Wilson was easily Michigan's best defender last year, giving up only 0.74 points per possession (83rd percentile) while taking on the most individual defense possessions of any Wolverine. Xavier Simpson (0.76 PPP, 80th percentile) was the only other rotation player to grade out above the 60th percentile, and he played a lot less than Wilson.

Robinson, meanwhile, ranked in the 23rd percentile on defense. While Oregon iso'd him to death in the Sweet Sixteen, his bigger issues came off the ball?he did a very poor job of fighting through off-ball screens and wasn't great at closeouts, two things Wilson did very well. Livers has good defensive upside, though it's hard to bank on a true freshman being a plus player in that department.

Robinson is our worst defender. This bit from MGoBlog does a good job of illustrating the gap between Wilson and Robinson on the defensive end:

This is where things get hairy. According to Synergy, Wilson was easily Michigan's best defender last year, giving up only 0.74 points per possession (83rd percentile) while taking on the most individual defense possessions of any Wolverine. Xavier Simpson (0.76 PPP, 80th percentile) was the only other rotation player to grade out above the 60th percentile, and he played a lot less than Wilson.

Robinson, meanwhile, ranked in the 23rd percentile on defense. While Oregon iso'd him to death in the Sweet Sixteen, his bigger issues came off the ball?he did a very poor job of fighting through off-ball screens and wasn't great at closeouts, two things Wilson did very well. Livers has good defensive upside, though it's hard to bank on a true freshman being a plus player in that department.

The only surprising thing here is that there is a statistical formula that says 22% of college basketball players are worse defensively than Robinson.

The only surprising thing here is that there is a statistical formula that says 22% of college basketball players are worse defensively than Robinson.

Hahaha. I was kind of surprised by that as well. Robinson can barely guard an inanimate object.

Wilson gets drafted 17th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks. Good for him and best of luck to him in his career. First Big Ten player selected this year.

Last edited:
The Bucks can now roll out a lineup that has the combined wingspan of a 747. Good for DJ going that high.

I was hoping the Pacers would pick him. We're in rebuilding mode and he'd have time to develop. Of course he goes one pick earlier and our front office takes fucking TJ Leaf. You need 4s that can switch pick and rolls in today's NBA, so the Pacers take a guy who consistently got smoked any time who had to defend on the perimeter. Hooray. Here's to three years of tanking!

Back