Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matt Asiata agrees to one-year deal with Detroit Lions

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ta-agrees-to-one-year-deal-with-detroit-lions
Matt Asiata agrees to one-year deal with Detroit Lions.
The Lions appear to have added another running back to their roster.
PrideOfDetroit

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6958/matt-asiata
Lions signed RB Matt Asiata.
Rotoworld

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/05/26/matt-asiata-signs-with-lions/
RB Matt Asiata Expected To Sign With Lions.
CBSDetroit

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ns-agree-terms-running-back-asiata/102219542/
Lions agree to terms with running back Asiata.
Detnews

Last edited:
Runs hard, good signing. Wonder what this will mean for Zenner/Washington/the rook?

Last edited:
Not excited. I could be wrong, but I am not close to convinced Asiata can beat out anyone we already have. He hasn't done much yet except at the goal line, and Riddick/Zenner/Washington can get 1st and goal done just as well.

I'm far from sold on this one.

I guess they weren't okay with what they had..

So what? It's nice insurance. The whole planet knew we were going after Blount. Blount chose another destination. Say buhbye to Washington if you ask me. Unless he blows the doors off the ST's coach, he's history...

Not excited. I could be wrong, but I am not close to convinced Asiata can beat out anyone we already have. He hasn't done much yet except at the goal line, and Riddick/Zenner/Washington can get 1st and goal done just as well.

I'm far from sold on this one.

Nothing to be sold on, bro. This is an insurance move and it's a decent one. Asiata scares nobody, but he's a better option than Washington right now. They lost out on Blount, so they covered their asses. Nothing to get excited over, but at least they're trying to get some bodies in that RB room...

I agree with Hughes. If he comes in for the vet min lets see if he can hold a spot. I really think the upgrades on the oline will have more to do with the short yardage run game than bringing in another back.

Technically green and asiata can win the 3rd and 4th spots with zenner and Washington gone... fine by me.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/05/27/detroit-lions-sign-matt-asiata/351532001/
How does Detroit Lions' addition of Matt Asiata impact RB group?
Freep

Asiata, a 5-foot-11, 229-pound power back, might be more of a threat to the Lions' between-the-tackles runners Zach Zenner and Dwayne Washington.

Before Asiata?s tryout, coach Jim Caldwell spoke in general terms about Asiata?s ability and highlighted his value on special teams.

?I think anybody knows who has seen him work, he?s a good special teamer,? Caldwell said. ?He?s tough. He?s a very good pass protector and he carries the ball. He runs behind his pads. He?s always been a very, very effective player in this league.?

I like the potential with Washington. Very rare size/speed combo. But if he cant put it together oh well

See if he wins the job or is the next Ridley. Good nose for endzone and experienced

To be honest, I'd rather have Burton. But it's mox-nix too, so that's probably just my bias.

Asiata is an insurance signing, in case Abdullah or Riddick get hurt again we have a veteran around to help with the carries.

I like the potential with Washington. Very rare size/speed combo. But if he cant put it together oh well

I partially agree.....he has a good size speed combo.....I wouldn't call it very rare. However, I don't think he is a good runner. Terrible vision. Guy couldn't see a block if he bought a box of LEGO's.

I partially agree.....he has a good size speed combo.....I wouldn't call it very rare. However, I don't think he is a good runner. Terrible vision. Guy couldn't see a block if he bought a box of LEGO's.

We could probably make a better RB with a box of lego's.

Do we keep five true running backs now. We kept 4 and a full back last year. Room for Zenner, Washington (or Green) and Asiata now

Or keep just 4 RBs and keep 3 QBs on the roster or an extra CB or safety

Burton was cut to make room for Asiata.

Exactly. And I would rather have Burton.

But, in all reality, Burton's snaps went from 22 percent of the offensive snaps his rookie year to less than 10 percent last year, which shows the Lions are moving away from using a FB.

To cut him now in favor of a powerback just shows even more they don't plan to have that lead blocker.

I think it's a mistake. I think if you put a lead blocker in front of Abdullah, you keep him healthier as he's not necessarily absorbing first contact. But, if Caldwell doesn't want that... what do you do?

In our case, we cut Burton to make room for Asiata. I guess we're carrying 5 RBs this season, and given the way injuries hit us last year with AA, Riddick, and even Washington all going down... why not, right?

Back