Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trump Quits Paris Accord

Shocking, wall street is happy that corporations can go back to raping the earth for profit with impunity.

. . . and be honest, even if President Trump announced that the US was staying in the Accord, would it improve his standing with anyone in these forums? No chance.

yes, we're all so unfair to him. it's not as if he has ever done or said anything to justify our harsh judgment of his character to this point either. we all just hated him because he was Team Donald and we were Team Hillary, and our side lost, but it's all the same thing.

There was a science teacher in 1970 at my Jr. High school who rode a bike to school every day to reduce pollution. This guy was a pioneer. Perhaps we need to follow his example and refuse to operate the very machines that are warming the globe.

Shocking, wall street is happy that corporations can go back to raping the earth for profit with impunity.

If you only get your news & narrative from where Jwlco & KAWDUP do, you miss stories like this. It may or may not have any big time consequences, but it's certainly starting to change the narrative, and is a step in the right direction.

there's also been a lot of stories like this or this. and this.

the oil/coal industries and the politicians they own can't control everything. renewable energy is getting (or maybe even has already) got its footing and is only growing in use.

it may still be too late to avoid a complete catastrophe in terms of climate change, but maybe enough can be done so humanity can survive until the planet recovers.

it'll suck for our kids. and grandkids. and probably a lot more for a few generations after them. hopefully the assholes of the species mostly kill eachother off during this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I'm hearing it seems Trump wants to renegotiate the Paris accord rather than completely abandon it.

So maybe they'll come up with something that will be exactly the same as the Paris accord except it will be called something else.

Maybe the Pittsburgh record, I don't know.

if we keep thinking... "thinking" like you, it may take a couple decades, but eventually the narrative will change when it's impossible to own or insure coastal property because of all the flooding from rising sea levels & frequent hurricanes. the people with money on the line, including the Army and Navy are taking it a lot more seriously than Fox News bots.

there might still be a few hard-headed bots like you left, for a while. the kind of people who could deny that global warming and rising sea levels are a problem, even when your neighborhood looks like this:

34.jpg

We should bury all climate-change deniers in graveyards on the coast, so future generations can scuba dive to pay their respects.

From what I'm hearing it seems Trump wants to renegotiate the Paris accord rather than completely abandon it.

So maybe they'll come up with something that will be exactly the same as the Paris accord except it will be called something else.

Maybe the Pittsburgh record, I don't know.

maybe. our political reputation (what's left of it) is circling the drain already, and I can't imagine most other world leaders will be happy to play word games like that with him.

people who like arguing semantics on the internet (like KAWDUP) will certainly be impressed though.

but I don't see Trump doing this. His career was made by getting powerful interests to back his projects (then slapping his name in big gold letters on them)... all his developments in NYC and Atlantic City were greased with mob influence. Now it's the oil companies and defense contractors doing the greasing (and calling all the shots even more than usual). he's not as powerful as he pretends; his "success" is finding someone weaker to beat up on (local taxpayers, environmental groups, immigrants, etc) and then lining up actually powerful people to do the beating. he makes sure to take credit for it though.

What a stupid narrative. The global economy is in its 8th year of recovery following the economic crisis and the markets are a reflection of that, not politics or tweets. The only significant Trump event was in fact a non-event and that was his failure to pass healthcare legislation. What that indicates is that the dipshit in the Oval Office is unlikely to get his beloved Tax Reform passed. That is something Wall Street would like to see, which explains the reaction to Trump's failure on healthcare.

What we've seen this year is very narrow leadership from a few stocks in the S&P 500 and by sector, the only sector that is down in 2017 is Energy/Oil - down almost 13%. The sectors that are providing market leadership since November are Technology, Consumer Discretionary and ...HEALTHCARE!!!

Those three areas are up about 12% YTD, or create what we'd call a pair trade spread of about 25%!!

So if you're some dipshit who bought Oil & Energy and the Banks based on Trump deregulating and repealing everything -- you're sucking eggs compared to the investor who sees the apolitical strength of the Global economy and associates that strength with favoring cyclical/growth markets. Stupid President BabyHands actually brags about "taking the Dow from 19,000 to 21,000" when his predecessor saved the country from the brink of an economic Depression and "took the Dow from 7500 to 19,000."

Being on Wall Street, I have made a relatively decent amount of money over the past year or so and I use some of that money to fund groups who oppose Trump on most of his policy.

You see, that's how we "Liberal Elitists" do -- outsmart the dumbasses who voted for Trump thinking he'd put us in his time machine and take us all back to a 1962-era America.

"Oh, I say and I say it again, ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok! This is what He does."

[goes back to work making money]

Last edited:
What a stupid narrative. The global economy is in its 8th year of recovery following the economic crisis and the markets are a reflection of that, not politics or tweets. The only significant Trump event was in fact a non-event and that was his failure to pass healthcare legislation. What that indicates is that the dipshit in the Oval Office is unlikely to get his beloved Tax Reform passed. That is something Wall Street would like to see, which explains the reaction to Trump's failure on healthcare.

What we've seen this year is very narrow leadership from a few stocks in the S&P 500 and by sector, the only sector that is down in 2017 is Energy/Oil - down almost 13%. The sectors that are providing market leadership since November are Technology, Consumer Discretionary and ...HEALTHCARE!!!

Those three areas are up about 12% YTD, or create what we'd call a pair trade spread of about 25%!!

So if you're some dipshit who bought Oil & Energy and the Banks based on Trump deregulating and repealing everything -- you're sucking eggs compared to the investor who sees the apolitical strength of the Global economy and associates that strength with favoring cyclical/growth markets. Stupid President BabyHands actually brags about "taking the Dow from 19,000 to 21,000" when his predecessor saved the country from the brink of an economic Depression and "took the Dow from 7500 to 19,000."

Being on Wall Street, I have made a relatively decent amount of money over the past year or so and I use some of that money to fund groups who oppose Trump on most of his policy.

You see, that's how we "Liberal Elitists" do -- outsmart the dumbasses who voted for Trump thinking he'd put us in his time machine and take us all back to a 1962-era America.

"Oh, I say and I say it again, ya been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray! Run amok! This is what He does."

[goes back to work making money]

I'm no expert in the stock market, but would it be safe to say that investors are pulling out of energy / oil because Trump failing to make it easier for oil companies to be profitable and are buying Healthcare because Healthcare industry will continue to be profitable because of ObamaCare?

maybe. our political reputation (what's left of it) is circling the drain already, and I can't imagine most other world leaders will be happy to play word games like that...

Well, it looks like we're gonna end up with the ACA still, just "repealed and replaced" with the AMA, so...

It's hard to compare the replacement of Obama Care to this. Our healthcare system is localized to us. This was a globally comprehensive effort to bring the entire world together. Why in the hell would other countries want to continue to do business with the USA when we are the ONLY modernized country that is not involved with the agreement?

Any "replacements" to the Paris Accord would have to be internal-only. And from his verbiage, "If we get a better deal that's fine, if not that's fine too," only tells me that he doesn't give a flying f about the future.

It's hard to compare the replacement of Obama Care to this. Our healthcare system is localized to us. This was a globally comprehensive effort to bring the entire world together. Why in the hell would other countries want to continue to do business with the USA when we are the ONLY modernized country that is not involved with the agreement?

Any "replacements" to the Paris Accord would have to be internal-only. And from his verbiage, "If we get a better deal that's fine, if not that's fine too," only tells me that he doesn't give a flying f about the future.

I think it's hilarious that virtually every influential CEO/Business leader has rebuked Trump immediately. He tries selling this horrible decision on the idea of it being pro-business, yet every business person (his "peers," being the Titan of Capital he claims to be :no: ) disagrees ...along with a number of Governors and Mayors.

Trump is going to wind up on a political island very soon. His wife hates him as does his VP. The GOP is starting to stand up against him and all he does is Tweet about "Crooked Hillary" and her emails.

It would be more entertaining were it not so terrifying.

To be honest, the pro-Trump crowd really only has the "Lock her up" stuff left in their corner. There has been VERY LITTLE that they've said he's done an honest good job with.

Just write the Paris Accord exactly the way it is, name it The Pittsburg Accord, and have all the already existing participants sign-on.

What's so hard about that?

sometimes I forget how redneck-ish Pennsylvanians can get. it's a weird state though... Philadelphia is very East Coast (though they are an unusually surly bunch), Pittsburgh is almost Midwestern.

Another odd Eastern/Quasi-Midwestern city: Buffalo. What a weird fucking place that town is.

One wonders what sort of archetype MC imagines as the ideal American and if that person is himself.

Back