Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 MSU football players to be charged

I heard a Denver Police Dept stat that said after 10pm on Fridays & Saturdays, that something like 60% of all cars on the road are over the limit and the number goes up with each passing hour. Drunk driving is bad but it's incredibly common.

I heard a Denver Police Dept stat that said after 10pm on Fridays & Saturdays, that something like 60% of all cars on the road are over the limit and the number goes up with each passing hour. Drunk driving is bad but it's incredibly common.

and beyond that, it may be incredibly reckless, but it's not intentionally violent aggressive misconduct, like rape.

what? in my mind it's not even close. raping someone >>>>> drinking and driving.

there is some large percentage of the population who are worse than rapists is what you're saying. few places in America have reliable mass transit or taxi service... many if not most people drinking and driving home Friday/Saturday nights are over the limit.

Clearly we can all agree sexual assault is a far worse crime than drinking and driving. No arguing that. I was just disputing the notion that DUI does not affect other individuals.

Clearly we can all agree sexual assault is a far worse crime than drinking and driving. No arguing that. I was just disputing the notion that DUI does not affect other individuals.

okay, gotcha. for some reason, I initially read your post as arguing that, but I see you were just making the point its not a victimless crime.

Everyone in Wisconsin is drunk while they are driving.

used to have a colleague from UW who told us an unnecessarily long story about Brewers opening day that involved him drinking so many beers he just peed himself without warning... not even while he was passed out or something like that. He was just standing there and pissed himself.

most of his stories were like that.

used to have a colleague from UW who told us an unnecessarily long story about Brewers opening day that involved him drinking so many beers he just peed himself without warning... not even while he was passed out or something like that. He was just standing there and pissed himself.

most of his stories were like that.

Drinking in Wisconsin is a different ball game. On the way to a Brewers game an agent of my mom's had a bloody mary in the cup holder of his vehicle, drove the wrong way up an interstate exit ramp in front of the cops, u-turned it, and when he got back to the cops they didn't do a thing except say "enjoy the game".

The bloody mary in his cupholder was definitely not the only thing he had to drink up to that point.

Last edited:
Not trying to say DUI is as bad as sexual assault, but you're putting other people's lives at risk if you drive a vehicle drunk. It most certainly can and does affect other individuals.

Agreed that DUI can potentially rise to the level of a crime against another individual. I considered this after posting. But, a young person that gets a DUI doesn't set out to injure or kill, though the potential is certainly there. They are thoughtlessly engaging in risky behavior that has the potential to do great harm to themselves and another person or persons. I didn't mean to imply that DUI should not bear consequences. There absolutely should be consequences for DUI, and the consequences should increase with repeated offenses. This is what I meant by "some tolerance". But there should be zero tolerance for crimes like physical assault and/or rape.

99% of drunk drivers make it home fine, just like all the other drivers...distracted by their phones or otherwise

It's the ones that are guilty of some other crime like reckless driving, speeding, or something else that ruin drinking and driving. It's just as likely that other behavior is causing an influence into someone else's life than the drinking. Let's face it, if someone gets into an accident, they are usually guilty of something else, failure to yield, reckless driving, failure to follow the basic speed law, etc etc Drunk driving is like double jeopardy.

Drunk driving laws are way, way, way overboard.

99% of drunk drivers make it home fine, just like all the other drivers...distracted by their phones or otherwise

It's the ones that are guilty of some other crime like reckless driving, speeding, or something else that ruin drinking and driving. It's just as likely that other behavior is causing an influence into someone else's life than the drinking. Let's face it, if someone gets into an accident, they are usually guilty of something else, failure to yield, reckless driving, failure to follow the basic speed law, etc etc Drunk driving is like double jeopardy.

To me it's not that the law or intent is misguided because it isn't. What the laws have created is a cottage industry of heavy fines, attorneys who do nothing but DUI and and the way in which the idea that a person who had two glasses of wine at dinner can now exceed the very low limit and lose their job, car, freedom and become financially crippled whereas the habitual drunk driver faces the same punishment.

I hate the way irresponsible drunk drivers fuck shit up for the rest of us, who can function perfectly well behind the wheel after a number of pops.

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...14/curtis-blackwell-michigan-state/395849001/

So it sounds like MSU would have let Blackwell go anyway because of his Sound Mind Sound Body conflicts.

Another member of the football staff, whose name and role are redacted, said Blackwell contacted him on Feb. 10 ? a day after being suspended ? to retrieve a checkbook from Blackwell?s office. That staff member told MSU Police he did not respond ?because he wanted to completely remove himself from any communication with Blackwell due to his suspension."

Back