Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Current Pitching Woes

RoundingThird

I tend to feel that Brad Ausmus, being a former catcher, would know a lot about handling pitchers. I realize that strategies have changed since the days of Lolich and McLain throwing 28 complete games in a single season, but Mickey and Denny were winners.

Only once in the last 18 years has a pitcher led the league in complete games thrown with double digit totals. As a starting pitcher however, I would be very frustrated if I threw six or seven strong innings, was pulled with the lead and a possible win, only to have the relievers blow the lead and nullify my efforts.

I always thought that starters need to throw to get stronger. Relievers on the other hand need a break and a little rest to perform their best. Starters get to pace themselves while relievers put all they got into an inning or two.

The recent complaint by Rodriguez is probably only the tip of the iceberg. It's like when you see one mouse, you know there are more. Fact is, no one is performing to their best level. I have a feeling Max Scherzer is happy to be in D.C.

The Tigers have a lot of talent. They shouldn't be in last place in their division. There are no signs of hope. I think the All-Star break would be a good time to replace Ausmus, if not sooner. It's getting very hard to watch this team self-destruct.

If it doesn't happen before the all-star break, I would think many of us are hoping it does happen at the break.
Now if it does, who they ask to be the interim manager will tell me what the front office mind set is.
If they ask Lloyd or Lamont it is business as usual the people in charge don't have a clue, and the team imo, will continue to play as they have.
If they ask Omar Vizquel, they will be doing the team of many Hispanic players a favor. They should give Omar the chance, as they did Ausmus another first time manager.

Pitchers need to strengthen their arms, Warren Spahn would say pitcher needed to throw and catch every day regular distance and long toss. The Braves pitchers from their success years with Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz all did that.

This team, imo lost alot of their 'Mojo' when Ilitch didn't make a better offer to Scherzer and let him leave.

Last edited:
I'm not big on manager changes at the mid break just because if the interim guy does well enough they might decided to keep him and I think they need to open it up and get the right guy rather than settling for someone we already have..

You always hear people talking about records that will never be broken , imo the complete games record will never , ever be broken . So annoying how the 100 pitch mark is like satan lol ...but i get that teams pay these guys crazy money , and they dont want to risk arm injuries . wonder how the pitchers feel on this topic , i bet guys like Verlander would say they hate it and that they can throw 140 if necc

Last edited:
You always here people talking about records that will never be broken , imo the complete games record will never , ever be broken . So annoying how the 100 pitch mark is like satan lol ...but i get that teams pay these guys crazy money , and they dont want to risk arm injuries . wonder how the pitchers feel on this topic , i bet guys like Verlander would say they hate it and that they can throw 140 if necc

I've always said if you get use to it then it becomes second nature.. This days the average SP gets used to 100 pitches and that's it.. You can still give it your all and go 150-160 pitches if you get used to it..

Back