Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent News

Using lgolfer's criteria, anyone who had a max contract before this season was overpaid because Lebron didn't have a max contract.

It's simply not that black and white. Different situations or circumstances dictate different outcomes.

Using lgolfer's criteria, anyone who had a max contract before this season was overpaid because Lebron didn't have a max contract.

It's simply not that black and white. Different situations or circumstances dictate different outcomes.

Fine, maybe I didn't use the best example. But my point is that I think we likely overpaid for Meeks since he's only had 1 good season and that was with the worst Lakers team record-wise since the 59-60 season! Hopefully he proves me wrong and turns out to be a great player in Van Gundy's system.

I'm a little concerned Meeks's production could be a product of D'Antoni's system which inflates stats, that same system that made Jeremy Lin look like a top 10 PG when he is really just average.

Fine, maybe I didn't use the best example. But my point is that I think we likely overpaid for Meeks since he's only had 1 good season and that was with the worst Lakers team record-wise since the 59-60 season! Hopefully he proves me wrong and turns out to be a great player in Van Gundy's system.

If he produces like last season and/or better for the next 3 years, I think it's safe to say they got their money's worth. It's really hard to say if they overpaid until we see results (or lack thereof).

I will say that the Pistons are gambling a bit on Meeks. Like you said, he has only had one season of starting lineup PT. Not much of a track record thus far. Hopefully SVG knows his shit like he's being paid to.

If he produces like last season and/or better for the next 3 years, I think it's safe to say they got their money's worth. It's really hard to say if they overpaid until we see results (or lack thereof).

I will say that the Pistons are gambling a bit on Meeks. Like you said, he has only had one season of starting lineup PT. Not much of a track record thus far. Hopefully SVG knows his shit like he's being paid to.

If he produces like he did last season, then we got a steal! But since it was on an awful Lakers team, I'm not expecting that same level of production. Like we've both said now, hopefully Van Gundy knows what he's doing.

Meeks is a good shooter and should be way better than Rodney Stuckey ever was... Should be a good SG rotation with him and an improving KCP.... If we can now only move Smith or Monroe, this team could be something.

Let's hold off judgment on KCP until the games actually begin. I try to get excited about his improvement, but it's the summer league and he's playing against teams filled with bench players.

Austin Daye was a beast in the summer league a few years back. I don't really get all hyped about what happens in this thing. Have you watched the games? They are played in high school gyms.

Austin Daye was a beast in the summer league a few years back. I don't really get all hyped about what happens in this thing. Have you watched the games? They are played in high school gyms.

The games are in the Magic's practice facility, i believe, but you're right. SL is really just a chance to evaluate young guys and see what has to be worked on for the season. Hard to really judge a player's future on these games.

Chips are falling fast now, won't be long until we hear some news on Monroe being offered.

"Detroit Pistons president and coach Stan Van Gundy reached out to forward Josh Smith to tell him that reports of the franchise engaging in substantive trade talks with Sacramento centered on Smith have been inaccurate and ? barring an unexpected turn of events ? Smith will be in training camp with the Pistons this fall, league sources told Yahoo Sports."

Translation - "Josh...we couldn't unload you to the Kings...we are stuck with you!"

"Detroit Pistons president and coach Stan Van Gundy reached out to forward Josh Smith to tell him that reports of the franchise engaging in substantive trade talks with Sacramento centered on Smith have been inaccurate and ? barring an unexpected turn of events ? Smith will be in training camp with the Pistons this fall, league sources told Yahoo Sports."

Translation - "Josh...we couldn't unload you to the Kings...we are stuck with you!"

Well translated. Will be an interesting camp.

Why don't they just sign/trade Monroe and put Smith at PF? No need to force a Smith trade, no one wants him. Monroe will bring back a much bigger haul. Smith can't jack up nearly as many outside shots at PF, and he's much more physical defensively than Monroe, even if he is a couple inches shorter. This would make a whole lot of sense to me.

Couple problems, greenbeerd. One, Monroe would have to agree to the sign and trade himself. If he doesn't want to go to Phoenix, he can just refuse. We would have to sign him ourselves then wait until mid-season before we can trade him without consent.

Also, while Smith is much better defensively at PF, he's really the same at PF. You can look through his Atlanta days, he chucks bad jumpers no matter what position he is technically playing. The rise of stretch 4s around the league has only made it more difficult to run out a 4 that can't shoot at all. The main upgrade is that SVG isn't going to use Smith jumpers in his offensive system. SVG isn't locked into playing just one way, but you can bet he'll design the offense around players actual skills, not the weaknesses in others (Smith chucked a lot of jumpers last year partly because the coaches asked him to be a scorer when the paint was shut down).

Monroe is probably a better center than PF given his lack of outside game and today's stretch offenses. I didn't come up with that but I have heard (read) it said and pretty sure I agree. It could be a reason he doesn't want to share the court with Drummond unless he is getting max.

Back