Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

Disagree entirely bro. You have millions of dollars invested in scouting reports, draft grades, video footage, plane rides to see pro days, plane rides to fly guys in for interviews, hotels, dinners, car rentals, computer analytics, all leading up to one 7 minute clock.

By the time you get to that pick, you better know who you like and who you don't. And when that blue chip guy, that game changing elite prospect is there for you, you trust that your investment has paid off and you're getting the guy you wanted all along.

Like I said, Mayhew was adamant that he was landing one of those four guys, one way or another. He missed on the deal for Watkins, since the Bills paid a fortune. Clowney and Mack were never in play for a trade at a price he could afford.

There's no "due dilligence" left to be done. If you trade back, you've pissed your draft day goals away. You don't land your guy. Nope.. I say waste no time, and go get your player.

This....this is exactly why the people on here arguing against the pick will have high expectations. If mayhew saw him as a Blue chip sure fire cant miss prospect so much so that he decided before the draft he would do anything he can to get him.....then why the hell shouldn't we have high expectations for him? he runs and catches a ball....The same exact thing he did in college and high school and pop warner. If he can get open in the nfl theres no reason he shouldn't have a huge year unless:
1) Stafford cant get him the ball
2) Hes not as good as mayhew thought he was

Nowhere did I say that nobody else knows what they're doing, nor did I imply it. My point was simple, you trust YOUR scouting and YOUR board. You don't second guess a player because another team passed on him. THAT, would be dumb.

A lot of people...GMs included....would say putting a TE as a top 4 blue chip prospect would be dumb and wouldn't be good value.

Trading down 5-10 spots for defensive help and an additional pick for a team that has holes and depth issues everywhere would have always been my first option. Part of the "hate" from the ebron pick is that he didn't even explore any of those options...well to be fair he could have explored options in the 5 seconds he had prior to turning the card in.

I don't why you people act like Ebron is just a traditional TE.

He's a TE/WR hybrid.

And you have no clue on who called Mayhew. Maybe there were no good offers or no offers at all.

Last edited:
You are right, I don't know who called. But when you zip the pick up there, mathematically, you limit the amount of time for people to call you. There is no way to know what GM's behind you might blow their load with a few minutes to go and offer you the farm to move up a few spots. Millen did this, and now Mayhew is doing it. Just take your GD time with the decision. That's why you are provided a clock. If nothing works out, you still have your guy, nothing changes.

I do too Booger. That's why I get annoyed when people cite where he was drafted as an explanation to why it was good to pass on Dennard.

I don't why you people act like Ebron is just a traditional TE.

He's a TE/WR hybrid.

And you have no clue on who called Mayhew. Maybe there were no good offers or no offers at all.

we don't...have you been reading the threads before you post nonsense? We don't view him as a traditional te at all. Mayhew lumped him into the same group as Sammy Watkins. Mayhew picked him as one of the highest picked TEs in NFL history. Therefor we view him as someone that should produce...a lot. Not to mention hes not a complete TE like a traditional TE....hes not very good at all inline.

we don't...have you been reading the threads before you post nonsense? We don't view him as a traditional te at all. Mayhew lumped him into the same group as Sammy Watkins. Mayhew picked him as one of the highest picked TEs in NFL history. Therefor we view him as someone that should produce...a lot. Not to mention hes not a complete TE like a traditional TE....hes not very good at all inline.

Stop calling him a TE. WR/TE hybrid matchup nightmares can go top 10 easily. Especially using a Saints playbook to start.

And especially when the next highest rated CB is Corey Fuller's brother.

Last edited:
He's a tight end. That's what he played. That's what he is. He's going to have to figure out how to block at some point. Just because he excels at some part of his position doesn't make him not a TE.

If he's not, he can go through all that Jimmy Graham, "Is he a TE or WR?" BS.

Last edited:
He's a tight end. That's what he played. That's what he is. He's going to have to figure out how to block at some point. Just because he excels at some part of his position doesn't make him not a TE.

If he's not, he can go through all that Jimmy Graham, "Is he a TE or WR?" BS.

He's a hybrid WR/TE. He can block a nickel CB easily or a LB in open space or a safety coming down to cover him. Ebron will not have to block DEs very much.

So what the hell are the Lions going to do with him when he goes up against teams with great DEs? Play 3-4 snaps a game?? He's still a tight end, he needs to learn how to block.

So what the hell are the Lions going to do with him when he goes up against teams with great DEs? Play 3-4 snaps a game?? He's still a tight end, he needs to learn how to block.

didn't you hear. We had a huge offseason transaction to cover that...Brandon Pettigrew. 1st round pick! :D

Last edited:

Play Pettigrew in line and Ebron in the slot. Force them into nickel and run it down their throats or pass beating nickel.

5 Oline, 3 WR (one is Ebron), Pettigrew, Stafford, Bush
5 Oline, Calvin/Tate and Ebron/Pettigrew at TE, Stafford,Bush. Ebron is second level to LB or helping a tackle.
5 Oline Calvin/Tate, Pettigrew, Stafford, (Bush or Bell)/Collins (short yardage)

When Ebron needs a rest, 3 true WRs or the last package I gave

So many great options. The second package looks like a run package but we could pass very well from that package too. Keeps the defense guessing big time. And we can still run with Ebron flexed out.

A lot of people...GMs included....would say putting a TE as a top 4 blue chip prospect would be dumb and wouldn't be good value.

Trading down 5-10 spots for defensive help and an additional pick for a team that has holes and depth issues everywhere would have always been my first option. Part of the "hate" from the ebron pick is that he didn't even explore any of those options...well to be fair he could have explored options in the 5 seconds he had prior to turning the card in.

Maybe the Lions didn't want to trade down. Could it possibly be that Ebron was one of their top targets and they didn't need to wait to see IF someone called.

I feel like Allen Iverson here......we talkin bout practice??!?!?!?

Who gives a flying fuck if they didn't take their full amount of time to turn in the pick. Fuck. You can bitch about the pick all you want.....love it.....hate it.....indifferent.....whatever. But seriously, it bugs you they did it too quickly?

Like all of us, you have ZERO idea what went on before the Lions were on the clock. It's laughable to say he absolutely didn't explore any options before the pick......when its entirely likely that's ALL he had been doing for the WEEKS leading up to the draft.

Maybe the Lions didn't want to trade down. Could it possibly be that Ebron was one of their top targets and they didn't need to wait to see IF someone called.

Who gives a flying fuck if they didn't take their full amount of time to turn in the pick. Fuck. You can bitch about the pick all you want.....love it.....hate it.....indifferent.....whatever. But seriously, it bugs you they did it too quickly?

Like all of us, you have ZERO idea what went on before the Lions were on the clock. It's laughable to say he absolutely didn't explore any options before the pick......when its entirely likely that's ALL he had been doing for the WEEKS leading up to the draft.

Hughes makes up false scenarios in his mind just so he can slight Mayhew. He's got a major problem.

Hughes makes up false scenarios in his mind just so he can slight Mayhew. He's got a major problem.

Hughes paints a realistic picture of the several ways Mayhew has failed since hes been here.

LKP lives in a fantasyland filled of Jason Fox trading cards and Ryan Broyles pro bowl seasons.

Go look up mayhews record as a GM....I win.

When 1 player hurts a pinky we lose. Great TEAM you got there MM!

Last edited:
Hughes paints a realistic picture of the several ways Mayhew has failed since hes been here.

LKP lives in a fantasyland filled of Jason Fox trading cards and Ryan Broyles pro bowl seasons.

Go look up mayhews record as a GM....I win.

When 1 player hurts a pinky we lose. Great TEAM you got there MM!

It wasn't one player. It was multiple players at several position groups.

Mayhew built incredible talent, then had to rebuild again due to injuries and expiring contracts/age. This team is stacked. I win and will the next five years.

And saying Mayhew didn't take any offers is unrealistic.

Doesn't bug me....im just saying that's part of the reason people are complaining. Anyone with half a brain knows the value in that draft wasn't to sit at 10. It was a very deep draft. Trading down and potentially getting an additional 2nd would have been huge for this team. Then stupid picks like Samsonite in rd 3 would have made more sense. But nah....lets not take a couple mins to see what comes in....its all good. I said before the draft mayhew will probably take ebron cause Watkins will be gone.....I even went as far to say I would understand why he would take him. But I also said itd be bad value and he probably wont produce much.

Back