Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons Reportedly Acquire Avery Bradley

deathroh

and a 2nd for Marcus Morris.

Should mean they're not going to break the bank for KCP, which is nice. Love Bradley's defense and steady shooting. But I'll wait to hear why this is a terrible move..

Great trade.

Morris never did much for me as a Piston.

Leads me to believe that KCP is on his way out, and that is fine by me.

I don't know how getting a PG that is on a one year contract has anything to do with KCP. I hope this means they have somebody willing to take Reggie Jackson! I would love to see him hit the road along with NOT signing KCP.

He's been playing SG the last few years. 35%+ from three over the past four years and one of the top defenders at his position. This will allow them to let KCP walk while giving Kennard a year to show what he's got, before they have to make any further decisions at SG. Will also give Stanley Johnson a chance to put up or shut up, with I'm assuming Harris sliding down some to help carry the load at SF.

Tom, Avery played the 2 with Boston, and he's going to play the 2 with Detroit.

As a Celtic's fan, (only Boston team I root for, fuck the rest of them),
I am sorry to read this. Bradley plays excellent defense, good shooter.

Hope he helps the Pistons.

iirc Morris forward, or did he play small forward with Pistons?
He seemed to have his way when the Celts played the Pistons, or is it the Morris on the Wizards?
I don't follow like I did years ago.

Much of this has/had to do with the Celtics getting under the cap after signing Hayward from Utah.
It was either Bradley, Crowder, or Smart.

This moves means that the Celts likely be hanging on to Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, and Terry Rozier.
So the Celtics are moving further and further away from traditional positions.
They now have Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Crowder, and Morris (and perhaps Yabusele), all of whom can play multiple wing or swing positions on the court.

Danny Ainge still might not be done. They need a real Center, Horford is too soft to play there, and Olynyk just went to miami all he did as a 7 footer was shoot 3's. Talk of getting Marc Gasol from Memphis.

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...arcus-morris-celtics-avery-bradley/458756001/
Detroit Pistons pick up Avery Bradley from Boston Celtics for Marcus Morris.
Freep

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index....troit_pistons_to_acqu.html#incart_river_index
Detroit Pistons acquire Avery Bradley for Marcus Morris.
Mlive

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...s-avery-bradley-deal-marcus-morris/103494722/
Pistons acquire Celtics? Avery Bradley, deal Marcus Morris.
Detnews

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017...s-celtics-avery-bradley-pistons-marcus-morris
2017 NBA Trade Rumors: Pistons get Avery Bradley from Celtics for Marcus Morris.
Stunning trade almost assuredly ends Kentavious Caldwell-Pope?s tenure in Detroit.
DetroitBadBoys

One of the best two-way players in the league is headed to the Detroit Pistons.
The Pistons have agreed to trade Morris to the Boston Celtics for Avery Bradley, who is coming off the best season of his seven-year career, a source confirmed. The Pistons are also receiving a 2019 second-round pick in the deal.
Bradley, 26, averaged 16.2 points per game and shot 39% from three-point range for the Celtics, along with 6.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists.

Bradley, a 6-2 shooting guard who is regarded as one of the best two-way players in the NBA, is in the final year of his contract, set to earn $8.8 million. He can become an unrestricted free agent in 2018.
The Pistons likely will try to sign him to a new deal.

The Celtics needed to move Bradley to create cap space to sign free agent forward Gordon Hayward to a four-year, $128 million contract.The Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers were also in talks to acquire Bradley, according to ESPN.

Morris, 26, played two seasons for the Pistons. He averaged 14.0 points and 4.6 rebounds in 79 games in 2016-17.
Morris had a valuable contract for the Pistons, with two years and $10.4 million left on his deal. But the chance to get Bradley likely outweighed the benefits of keeping Morris, even at that value.
Marcus Morris was a mainstay the past two seasons in Detroit, but should work much better as a fifth option in Boston than he did as a second or third option in Detroit. He?s not stellar in any one area, but he can score in isolation, can get hot from 3, is a capable defender and always competes.

Pistons renounce rights to Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Great trade.

Morris never did much for me as a Piston.

Leads me to believe that KCP is on his way out, and that is fine by me.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017...tavious-caldwell-pope-unrestricted-free-agent
2017 NBA Free Agency: Pistons renounce Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, making him an unrestricted free agent.
After Pistons trade for Avery Bradley, there seems to be no place for KCP.
DetroitBadBoys

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index....troit_pistons_renounc.html#incart_river_index
Detroit Pistons renounce rights to Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
Mlive

Caldwell-Pope is thought by many to be the top restricted free agent on the market. At the start of free agency the Pistons had the ability to match any offer sheet giving to KCP up to the max of roughly $24 million per season.

The team, however, signed Langston Galloway, using an exception that hard-capped Detroit and meant barring a subsequent move could only offer KCP a deal in the $17 million range.

With the trade for Bradley that number is even lower and there is no sense they will make another big move just to open up space to bring back a player that plays Bradley?s position.

As a Celtic's fan, (only Boston team I root for, fuck the rest of them),
I am sorry to read this. Bradley plays excellent defense, good shooter.

Hope he helps the Pistons.

iirc Morris is a banger forward, maybe played small forward with Pistons?
He seemed to have his way when the Celts played the Pistons.

Much of this has/had to do with the Celtics getting under the cap after signing Hayward from Utah.
It was either Bradley, Crowder, or Smart.

This moves means that the Celts likely be hanging on to Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, and Terry Rozier.
So the Celtics are moving further and further away from traditional positions.
They now have Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Crowder, and Morris (and perhaps Yabusele), all of whom can play multiple wing or swing positions on the court.

Danny Ainge still might not be done. They need a real Center, Horford is too soft to play there, and Olynyk just went to miami all he did as a 7 footer was shoot 3's. Talk of getting Marc Gasol from Memphis.

Morris is a true wing, and a very streaky shooter. Can carry a team for short stretches when he's hot, but also disappear. He's not a perfect player, but I think he's a real bargain in today's NBA, under contract at 5 mil for each of the next two years. This doesn't save you much in 17-18 since Bradley was only making 8+ mil, but you now don't have to pony up for him the following season, and you get a solid veteran at a low rate for the next two.

This isn't a great trade (KCP and Bradley are very similar players), but it's a difficult time to tank. The East is a complete shit-show right now, with three of last year's playoff teams clearly pivoting to a rebuild. The Pistons could try to tank and still back into a playoff spot next year. Knowing that, bringing back a similar team with a slightly different distribution of talent (I'm guessing Harris starts at SF now) isn't a bad idea. They should almost assuredly grab an away seed (5-8) and have a chance against anyone besides Cleveland or Boston.

The obvious concern is that SVG might see Bradley as a foundational player (like Jackson) and go way overboard to keep him in the fold. Bradley is a solid 3 and D player, but his man to man defense has never fully translated to good team defense. In the (likely) event that SVG drops a 20+ million dollar per year contract on Bradley, we'll basically be locking into the same team that couldn't win with KCP.

That said, the updside here is that with a weak wing rotation, we might get to see a lot of Kennard and Johnson. Johnson is pretty much worthless at this point, but he's young enough that you never know. Kennard isn't a superstar kind of pick, but he has the potential to be a Kyle Korver-esque player (which is a lot better than it sounds), and that's a pretty big upgrade from what we've seen lately.

This isn't a great trade (KCP and Bradley are very similar players), but it's a difficult time to tank. The East is a complete shit-show right now, with three of last year's playoff teams clearly pivoting to a rebuild. The Pistons could try to tank and still back into a playoff spot next year. Knowing that, bringing back a similar team with a slightly different distribution of talent (I'm guessing Harris starts at SF now) isn't a bad idea. They should almost assuredly grab an away seed (5-8) and have a chance against anyone besides Cleveland or Boston.

The obvious concern is that SVG might see Bradley as a foundational player (like Jackson) and go way overboard to keep him in the fold. Bradley is a solid 3 and D player, but his man to man defense has never fully translated to good team defense. In the (likely) event that SVG drops a 20+ million dollar per year contract on Bradley, we'll basically be locking into the same team that couldn't win with KCP.

That said, the updside here is that with a weak wing rotation, we might get to see a lot of Kennard and Johnson. Johnson is pretty much worthless at this point, but he's young enough that you never know. Kennard isn't a superstar kind of pick, but he has the potential to be a Kyle Korver-esque player (which is a lot better than it sounds), and that's a pretty big upgrade from what we've seen lately.

Please stop comparing Kennard to Korver.... Kennards offensive game is ALREADY so much more complete than Korver. I don't think I've EVER seen Korver create his own shots like I've already seen Luke do in summer league... I know I know it's summer league but even watching his college tape he is MUCH more complete offensive player than Korver.

Bradley may be similar to the player that kcp "could" be, but he's a damn sight better than what kcp is. And are you really knocking Bradley for poor defense from other Celtics players? What do you want the guy to do, carry Thomas on his shoulders?

Also, is kennard really being looked at as a sf?

Agree that Kennard has potentially a more diverse skillset than Korver, who is about as one-dimensional as it gets. I can't see Kennard as a SF though, even in a small-ball lineup. For that to work the players that are playing "up" in position still have to make the defending work in that spot (like Draymond Green playing the 4 at 6-7). Which means next year he's a 6th-7th man type of player playing mostly the 2 and on rare occasions the 3.

That means Harris at the 3 (was glad they traded either him or Morris as they were too similar as players) and them finding some kind of answer at the 4 (well beyond Leuer, that is).

If Kennard ends up a better player than Korver, I'll be jumping for joy, but that's also not likely. Korver has been underrated in his career, but he was ahead of his time. Korver is also a better defender than he's generally gotten credit, playing smart and safe defense, rotating well and cutting if angles. Please don't misunderstand, I think a comparison to Korver is a huge compliment. Kennard might have more natural skills, but we have no idea what will translate against an nba defense.

Keep in mind Stanley Johnson was considered an all around player coming out of college, but it turned out being just college good at everything was the same as bad at everything in the nba.

Also, I'm not blaming Bradley for his teammates defense, I'm pointing out that a deeper look shows he's not quite as good at working with others as he is one on one. It's a bit like Klay Thompson. He takes on the tougher assignment, and should get credit for doing so. But getting caught ball watching when his man doesn't have the ball, or losing his man on off ball screens isn't his teammates fault. There is a difference between man to man defense and team defense. Bradley is great at the former and close to average at the latter. That's still good, but he's not Tony Allen with a jump shot here.

If Kennard ends up a better player than Korver, I'll be jumping for joy, but that's also not likely. Korver has been underrated in his career, but he was ahead of his time. Korver is also a better defender than he's generally gotten credit, playing smart and safe defense, rotating well and cutting if angles. Please don't misunderstand, I think a comparison to Korver is a huge compliment. Kennard might have more natural skills, but we have no idea what will translate against an nba defense.

Keep in mind Stanley Johnson was considered an all around player coming out of college, but it turned out being just college good at everything was the same as bad at everything in the nba.

Also, I'm not blaming Bradley for his teammates defense, I'm pointing out that a deeper look shows he's not quite as good at working with others as he is one on one. It's a bit like Klay Thompson. He takes on the tougher assignment, and should get credit for doing so. But getting caught ball watching when his man doesn't have the ball, or losing his man on off ball screens isn't his teammates fault. There is a difference between man to man defense and team defense. Bradley is great at the former and close to average at the latter. That's still good, but he's not Tony Allen with a jump shot here.

Yet most still regard him as one of the best two way players in the game today.... And I don't think ANYONE is thinking Kennard is going to be a SF... He played the two in summer league that he should get some nice minutes as the 6th man as Bradleys backup this year and since AB has one year left on his deal, I'm thinking they brought Galloway in so when we lose AB next year he still have Kennard and Galloway at the 2, unless we get AB retarded money to stay which i doubt we do unless he goes OFF and has a crazy season this year.

Thanks guys. Great stuff !!! Does SVG have amy other moves this summer to make ?

Back