Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

SVG : Do away with the Draft to stop Tanking

Doesn't he realize that the only way the Pistons have a shot at getting a stud rookie is to luck into him in the draft?

I don't think his suggestion would reduce their chances at all. For better or worse, they're not going to have a top 5 pick under SVG. He's too good, and too principled a coach for them to either be that bad or tank. There might be the random blue chipper that wants to join a top team, but most would be looking to get paid. So as long as you're smart with your salary cap (and this would give mid-market teams much more incentive to do so) Detroit will be competing with their peers for the most part. And they do at least have some history and a new arena to use as chips, along with the cash. Not that I think there's a chance in hell this happens...

We just need another 2004 and 2005 to happened !!!!!!!!! All those conference finals and good teams on only 1 title is so frustrating! !!

Detroit was so close to being San Antonio! !!!!

Last edited:
he wants to get rid of max contracts too. They should get rid of everything. No salary cap, no draft, rookie free agents.

Getting rid of the salary cap and maximum salaries would turn the league into a couple superteams (probably NY and LA as they have the most money), and everybody else. Going the other way and just getting rid of the max salary would likely force almost all top players onto different teams (each top player would be making 50+% of the cap). That sounds at good at first, but too much parity is boring, and it would just make the top 3-5 players in the league own the regular season and playoffs (if no team has a collection of top guys, then whichever team Lebron is on will win). It should also be noted that SVG's teams have been BAD at managing contracts, almost always capped out with mediocre players.

SVG's plans are a smart thing to say for players to like you, because it sounds like you have their back and think they should make as much money as possible. But in reality, they would ruin the league. The NBA doesn't make enough money (can't play 162 games like baseball and simply aren't as profitable as football) to go with SVG's proposals.

Also, is it telling that a guy who has traditionally not been good in the draft is cool with getting rid of it? A quick history of SVG's draft history:

Heat - I'm not sure this one makes sense to list since Riley was the GM and clearly in charge of personnel, but I'd like to think the head coach had some say.

03 - Dwyane Wade (huge hit)
04 - Dorell Wright (miss)
05 - Wayne Simien (miss)

Magic:
07 - No first round picks
08 - Courtney Lee (HIT)
09 - Trade first rounder for Mike Wilks and Adonal Foyle (miss)
10 - Daniel Orton (miss)
11 - Traded first rounder in Carter/Gortat for Turkoglu/Richardson trade (miss)

Pistons:
14 - No first rounder (Dumars huge miss)
15 - Stanley Johnson (miss)
16 - Henry Ellenson (miss so far)
17 - Luke Kennard (unknown)

None of his second rounders have really panned out (despite the minutes we are forced to play Hilliard), but second rounders rarely stick anyway so I don't count them against anyone.

Back