Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Priest brought up Cosmos today during Mass.

Gulo Blue

I've been criticizing how it addresses religion so I was expecting him to make some similar point, but he never did. He just spoke about it the context of how amazing the universe is...asked if anyone else was watching it and let us know how much he was enjoying it.

I've been criticizing how it addresses religion so I was expecting him to make some similar point, but he never did. He just spoke about it the context of how amazing the universe is...asked if anyone else was watching it and let us know how much he was enjoying it.

He was trying to root out the heretics. If anyone responded enthusiastically, they would have been grabbed by an angry mob and burned at the stake.

But there would have been cookies and punch afterwards.

Cosmos doesn't criticize religion. It makes its point against religion and speaks of how it's been used poorly in the past against science. I still think you guys look too deeply into this show to search for negatives.

He was trying to root out the heretics. If anyone responded enthusiastically, they would have been grabbed by an angry mob and burned at the stake.

But there would have been cookies and punch afterwards.

Never drink the punch...

Never drink the punch...

here's a pic of Red's church afterward:
tumblr_lxtui4bgIg1rnso2co1_1280.jpg

I still think you guys look too deeply into this show to search for negatives.

That could be. But the local priest's take is the 2nd one I've been aware of from a Catholic priest that had nothing bad to say about it. The places where I saw reviews that included the thing I was hung up on were Salon and...I can't recall now, but at least one other place I'd call left-leaning.

That could be. But the local priest's take is the 2nd one I've been aware of from a Catholic priest that had nothing bad to say about it. The places where I saw reviews that included the thing I was hung up on were Salon and...I can't recall now, but at least one other place I'd call left-leaning.

yeah, salon has really been covering every Creationist freak out about the show as though it were newsworthy. That level of coverage isn't really necessary... it's not news that some crank somewhere has a problem with something.

good articles on salon are fewer and far between these days. they've lost a lot of talent, and most of their writers are younger and less experienced, so they go for the low-hanging fruit, feminist sob stories, navel gazing "I am woman" type stuff.

that being said, the Catholic Church still has a long way to go before I'll be convinced that any intelligent moderate or progressive positions they take are legitimate.

yeah, salon has really been covering every Creationist freak out about the show as though it were newsworthy. That level of coverage isn't really necessary... it's not news that some crank somewhere has a problem with something.

good articles on salon are fewer and far between these days. they've lost a lot of talent, and most of their writers are younger and less experienced, so they go for the low-hanging fruit, feminist sob stories, navel gazing "I am woman" type stuff.

that being said, the Catholic Church still has a long way to go before I'll be convinced that any intelligent moderate or progressive positions they take are legitimate.

No, I mean the liberal blogs were dinging Cosmos, not the fundamentalists. No doubt they're also dinging fundamentalists somewhere, but I have a similar take on that as you: stop giving them so much airtime.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/12/america_stupidly_stuck_between_religion_and_science/
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...gles-the-history-of-religion-and-science.html
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2014/03/dishonestcosmos/
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/giordano-bruno-cosmos-heretic-scientist

oh.

yeah, their criticisms of Cosmos' characterization of Bruno are a bit extensive. basically he should've called Bruno a martyr for "free thought" not science? Okay? Minor point.

I think some of these writers/columnists feel they can gain a broader readership for themselves by hitting those further left of them or staking out their own ground between science and religion. Like, "hey liberal christians... don't leave! I got a problem with these uppity 'new atheists' as well."

some of the "new atheists" are pretty shitty... Sam Harris & the older crankier version of Christopher Hitchens come to mind. But they like to lump Dawkins in with them, and I find they usually either are intentionally misreading him, or assuming a lot about his views before they do. But when you're trying to stake out a middle ground that appeals to your liberal readership and bring in whatever christians/moderates you can find, you can't really leave out a high profile public figure in the atheist camp like Dawkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out grocery shopping last week and happened on a priest who told me that Cosmos was a fuckin' load of bullshit...

What religion was he from? Certainly not the newer, hipper Catholic Church red is a member of.

Same church, just not part of the new hip school. Old-school Irish Catholic drunk. He's reputed to have a very foul mouth, especially in the confessional.

Oh and being Irish, he loves to use the word "bollucks."

Last edited:
Same church, just not part of the new hip school. Old-school Irish Catholic drunk. He's reputed to have a very foul mouth, especially in the confessional.

did he look like this?

Father_Jack.jpg

Like when a teenage kid from Crespi high school goes into the confessional and tells God he's sorry that he felt some girl up, the priest says"oh bullocks, you're not fuckin' sorry for that and all."

Back