Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Surprised nobody posted this yet, but Wilson said that if he isn't promised to be a 1st round pick, he will stay in school.

Edit; I guess i missed it, but Wagner just said the same thing.

Yeah. And apparently Wagner had a horrible day yesterday at the combine, which just shows he needs to get that consistency at the NBA level. He said he basically couldn't keep up with the high level of play, and that's what you deal with every second in pro ball.

Wilson, he just needs to come back. He hasn't had an opportunity to do anything other than some shoot-arounds with teams.

Last edited:
While i greatly dislike seeing them struggle, it makes me so happy to think they could come back. This team would absolutely be the best we've had since our final 4 year.

If just one of the two come back, they'll still be pretty solid. I would expect someone to rise up and perform that we didn't expect.

But if both come back, yeah, they'll have two first-rounders in the front court, a fantastic transfer PG, and good wing depth.

Sadly, they are going to be running up against an in-state rival that looks to be able to win the whole thing.

I always expected both to come back. Let's face it. It's good for their game to go and do the combine and everything involved. It's so much better than just sitting around AA, lifting weights, and doing shoot-arounds. They can learn a lot about themselves at the combine and improve a lot. It's a win-win.

If by some miracle, they get graded as a first round pick, then they go and we lose out, but I really didn't and don't expect that right now.

Well, you are wrong on that front. No one expected MSU to really do much last season, and they didn't.

The year before that? Yeah, they got a lot of hype, but this team coming up for them has a TON more star power than the one that lost as a 2-seed.

Well, you are wrong on that front. No one expected MSU to really do much last season, and they didn't.

The year before that? Yeah, they got a lot of hype, but this team coming up for them has a TON more star power than the one that lost as a 2-seed.

All of the "star" power will be freshmen and sophomores. All I have to say is, "I've heard that before" and "we'll see."

Oh I know. I just see this team coming back for him as more "talented" than the one that lost to MTSU. That team had a ton of solid vet leadership, and Valentine was pretty damn good, but they didn't have any legit stars. This is probably Izzo's best team on paper in forever.

But, if Wagner and Wilson come back, Michigan could definitely make that run.

From Sporting News:

Down week for Michigan men
It was not the best week for the Michigan prospects. Forward D.J. Wilson measured well, but was forced to sit out five-on-five and athletic testing (where he would have likely been a standout) with a left quad injury. He is still testing his status as of now, and it’s tough to get a read on where exactly his stock is among NBA folk. I’d peg it in the late first- to mid-second round range, which could make for a tough call.

Point guard Derrick Walton Jr. was forced to pull himself out of the second five-on-five game with injury. He was good in the first game, putting up nine points, seven assists and just one turnover.

MORE: 13 of the most ill-timed NBA Draft early entry decisions

Center Moritz Wagner was arguably the worst player in the five-on-five portion this week. In his first game, he posted 13 points, but his team was much better when he was off the floor as he posted a minus-25 plus/minus while struggling against big men like Omer Yurtseven. Then, in the second game, he went 3 of 15 from the field as he posted a 1 for 8 mark from 3 over the two games. Every time he left the floor, his team went on a run. He also didn’t measure well, and none of his athletic testing stood out. Sometimes kids just want to be done with school, and I respect that. But if Wagner was to enter the draft, he would run the risk of going undrafted given the obvious defensive and athletic limitations he showcased not just here, but also during the entire college basketball season.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2017/week/1/seasontype/2

Dude, stop revising history. Now here's another one http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...uke-kentucky-kansas-top-first-ap-top-25-poll/

Hovering around 10th in a couple of polls because of their name recognition? You'll have to do better than that. Actually look what they have this upcoming season, do the research. Their expectations last season were relatively low, don't just throw out a couple of pre-season garbage polls.

If you don't think they'll be a darn good team going into 2017 that could likely compete for the F4, I don't know what to tell ya.

Last edited:
Hovering around 10th in a couple of polls because of their name recognition? You'll have to do better than that. Actually look what they have this upcoming season, do the research.

They are going to be pre-season 1st or 2nd in basically all the polls. If you don't think they'll be a darn good team going into 2017 that could likely compete for the F4, I don't know what to tell ya.

Sorry, these are not just any polls. You cant do better than the USA Today poll or the AP poll. You are wrong, just say so. I've been wrong before, just not now. I may be, though, in a few more posts. Just not this one.

They are pre-season polls, I don't know what to tell you. They are about as meaningless as they come. No idea when we started putting importance in those? Is that a new thing?

MSU did not have some massive high expectations last season. They do now, and rightfully so.

Last edited:
They are pre-season polls, I don't know what to tell you. They are about as meaningless as they come. No idea when we started putting importance in those? Is that a new thing?

MSU did not have some massive high expectations last season. They do now, and rightfully so.

Arguing that preseason polls have no relevance when arguing about preseason expectations is peak dubbs retardedness.

I would have to imagine we will know pretty soon about their decision. Not much else to ponder, combine is over is it not?

They will still have the opportunity to do workouts for teams.

I think we're in the clear with Wagner, especially with his pro-college mindset coming in.

If Wilson's injury keeps him from working out this week then we may have dodged a bullet there. I have a hard time seeing any teams "guaranteeing" him a first round pick without seeing him at the combine, or in a personal workout. Although I guess he did have a couple workouts before the combine. I don't know, I'm still about 50/50 on him. Maybe just to the good side if the injury persists, to the bad side if it doesn't. His consistency was obviously terrible this year, but the NBA loves his size/length and skill set. I do think it's kind of funny when NBA outlets praise his defense and ability to guard smaller players. He got blown by quite a bit when defending the perimeter against college kids. That's an obvious area of improvement.

Back