Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

5 games out on 7-19 , can we win it ??

End-of-season projection
After Friday's loss, the Tigers' final projected record by FiveThirtyEight is 74-88. The site gives Detroit a 2 percent chance of making the playoffs and a less than 1 percent chance of winning the division.

I have a better chance of making wood with a 300 pound fatty than the Tigers do of making the playoffs.

Since April 16th, DET has been the 2nd worst AL team and 5th worst team in MLB. They have gone 37-52 .416 WPCT. At that rate, they will finish 70-92 .432 WPCT, their lowest win total since 2003.

42 games left. Based on the last 108 games, they will finish 72-90.

Since the All Star break, they have given up 191 runs, 20 more than the next closest AL team.

As of 8/23/2017 stats for the Tigers pitching staff

dead last in the AL with an ERA of 5.11
starters ERA of 5.00 is 13th
pen ERA of 5.31 which is last

Here is the odd stat. The Tigers are 2nd in the AL with 64 quality starts.

Somebody here said a team should win as many games as they have quality starts. If that's the case the Tigers should be 64-60 which would be the 7th best record in the AL.

As for the offense

#6 in OPS
#7 in runs per game
#6 in OBP

As of 8/23/2017 stats for the Tigers pitching staff

dead last in the AL with an ERA of 5.11
starters ERA of 5.00 is 13th
pen ERA of 5.31 which is last

Here is the odd stat. The Tigers are 2nd in the AL with 64 quality starts.

Somebody here said a team should win as many games as they have quality starts. If that's the case the Tigers should be 64-60 which would be the 7th best record in the AL.

As for the offense

#6 in OPS
#7 in runs per game
#6 in OBP

Yes, given league average offense and average bullpen, they should win as many Quality Starts.

Fact:

Innings 7-9

Offense = 9th in AL

Pitching = 15th in AL (mostly relief)

They just might finish 65-97.

The worst team in baseball since the All Star break (55 more runs given up than the next AL team) and even dating back to June.

23-43 .348 WPCT

33-62 .347 WPCT (since opening 29-29, June 7th) (13th is Run Scored per game, 15th in Runs Allowed per game)

here are the projected starters (with ERAs) for the rest of the season

Norris 5.38
Boyd 5.33
Bell 6.52
Sanchez 6.68
Zimmerman 6.19
Norris 5.38
Boyd 5.33
Bell 6.52
Sanchez 6.68

Looks like the young guns that DD got in the trades are the aces of the staff!

This team MIGHT win 1 or 2 more games this year.

Last edited:
3 Home

6 Away

Pitching

13th in W-L Away
14th Starter W-L
Last in W-L Home
14th Starter ERA
Last in ERA Away
Last in ERA Home
13th Starter WHIP
Last in WHIP Away
Last in WHIP Home
Last in OPS Away
Last in OPS Home
Last vs Lefties
Last vs Righties

Last in virtually all categories as a reliever

Last in 1-3 Innings
8th in 4-6 Innings
Last in 7-9 Innings

Offense

1st vs LHP
1st vs LH Starter
2nd 1-3 Innings
4th Home
12th 4-6 Innings
13th vs RHP
14th vs RH Starter
15th Away
15th vs RHP Away

Games in which team played from behind:

1. CLE 84
2. HOU 96
3. BOS 103
4. NYY 105
5. MIN 108

15. DET 123

So the first 3 innings we suck, on offense and defense. Same with the 7th through 9th.

On a side note we're not really good in those middle innings either..

Last edited:
With last night's loss to the twinks, and the sux win vs royals, the Tigers, who have a negative RD of -140 took their rightful place in the ALCD cellar below the sux with -104. The sux however, still have 9 games remaining to the Tigers' 8.

The race for the worst record in MLB is close, but the giants would have to win 3 more games than the Tigers, and the phillies 2 more, all with 8 remaining, for the Tigers to snag the #1 pick in the '18 draft. Dunno what happens if 2 or more teams were to tie.

Race to the bottom of MLB:

Standings: W/L GA

sox..........62-91 2.5

Tigers......62-92 2

phillies.....61-93 1

giants......60-94 --

giants have won 3 WS championships during this decade: '10, '12, and '14...pretty surprising how far that they have fallen in just 3 years' time. I suppose that the same could be said about the Tigers, who have finished last in their division in '15, and likely will again this year, not to mention their utter lack of WS championship hardware and jewelry, during this same decade.

Last edited:
Updated race to the #1 pick in the '18 draft:

Team------Record----GA----GR----STRK----L10

sux............62-92.....1.5.....8.........L1.......5-5

Tigers........62-93......1.......7.........L6.......2-8

fillys..........61-94.......--.....7..........L3......5-5

gnats........61-94.......--......7.........W1.....5-5

May be a race to the wire, but my bux are on the Tigers, cuz they are the most likely to not win another game this season.

Even if the twinks clinch the road WC (most likely) before playing the Tigers @ home in their final 3 game series of the season, and rest some starters....yeah....the kittys ARE that bad.

Boyd will get his last start of the season vs @ twinks in game 1 (#160) representing the team's last best chance of winning a game....barring a rainout or zombie apocalypse.

Last edited:
Updated race to the #1 pick in the '18 draft:

Team------Record----GA----GR

sux............62-92.....1.5.....8

Tigers........62-93......1.......7

fillys..........61-94.......--.....7

gnats........61-94.......--......7

May be a race to the wire, but my bux are on the Tigers, cuz they are the most likely to not win another game this season.

2-3 weeks ago no way I thought those NL might actually pass Detroit in wins. Getting close. So top 4 at least.. What's the draft look like? I'm thing wherever we draft we go for a hard throwing SP who has no command, or a hitter who has no eye at the plate with suspect defense.

Last edited:
2-3 weeks ago no way I thought those NL might actually pass Detroit in wins. Getting close. So top 4 at least.. What's the draft look like? I'm thing wherever we draft we go for a hard throwing SP who has no command, or a hitter who has no eye at the plate with suspect defense.

One commandless fireballing pitcher or positional player lacking speed, glovework, and plate discipline can be had @ the top of Rnd #2.

Last edited:
One commandless fireballing pitcher or positional player lacking speed, glovework, and plate discipline can be had @ the top of Rnd #2.

I'm actually curious about what free agents we go after.. Trying to save money can they get those middling (somewhat cheap) that can actually play. Or are we sticking with what we have..

Back