Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Distraction # 193: Trump pardons ex-Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
I look forward to the next time his supporters vehemently state that we are a "Nation of laws".

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday granted a pardon to former Arizona lawman and political ally Joe Arpaio, the self-proclaimed ?toughest sheriff in America,? less than a month after he was convicted of criminal contempt in a case involving his department?s racial profiling policy.

Trump had signaled this week that the first presidential pardon of his administration would go to Arpaio, 85, whom he has frequently praised for his hardline immigration stance.

?Throughout his time as sheriff, Arpaio continued his life?s work of protecting the public from the scourges of crime and illegal immigration,? said the White House statement announcing Arpaio?s pardon.

Arpaio, who lost a bid for re-election in Arizona?s Maricopa County in November after 24 years in office, was known for his crackdown on undocumented immigrants and investigating unfounded Trump-supported claims questioning former President Barack Obama?s citizenship.

It's all good man. He keep those transgender people out of the military.

Its a nation of laws...but justice isn't blind, its more of a social/fiscal measuring stick.

Hold no office, enforce no laws, be a minority, and/or aren't affluent most often means more jail and/or hard time in prison.

Last edited:
Trump will go down as the worst president in history. Hopefully he doesn't take us all with him.

Last edited:
Trump will go down as the worst president in history. Hopefully he doesn't talk us all with him.

He already is the worst ever, thing is that he is arrogantly and clumsily blatant about it, whereas Pence would be more stealthy and shrewd, with a heavy Koch/theocratic bent to his similar in scope national/global policy. Mikey also isn't anywhere near as self-absorbed, and in constant need of reassurance, admiration, and adulation from his rabid supporter base.

Last edited:
meh. I'm happy for the guy - he went to prison for contempt for enforcing the law based a controversial ruling. What I think would be more interesting is if people were to say there's no difference between pardoning Arpaio and Eli Manning. I mean Brad, I mean Chelsea.

Last edited:
Hopefully those he victimized pursue civil remedy and sue his racist ass.

Wow. Arpaio is 85 and he's been the sheriff there for 24 years. Didn't know he was that old. I think Raising Arizona was made before he was sheriff.

The Hungarian Phd nationalist Sebastian Gorka is now out of Trump's administration as well...he was cut from the same cloth as the "Fourth Turning" Traditionalist and Lenin admirer Steve Bannon, who, like Kellyanne Conway, is a Bob and Bekah Mercer protege.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...39f5_story.html?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na

For someone who frequently boasts and wants us to believe that he hires only the "best people", Trump has burned through and fired more than a dozen since couping office 7 months ago...@ this rate everyone outside of his family members and cabinet will be replaced by 01/20/18...if he himself isn't.

Last edited:
As far as the Sheriff, what kind of sentence was he getting? Never really paid much attention. Still doesn't overtake the Pardons Obama has done..

Holy shit that's a lot. Personally I don't think POTUS should have the power to just pardon anyone they want..

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-pardons

As far as the Sheriff, what kind of sentence was he getting? Never really paid much attention. Still doesn't overtake the Pardons Obama has done..

Holy shit that's a lot. Personally I don't think POTUS should have the power to just pardon anyone they want..

i need to correct another detail - manning wasn't pardoned, his sentence was commuted.

Trump has been in office ~7 months, Obama 8 years, he, GWB, Clinton, GHWB, and likely Reagan, Carter, Ford, ect..have commuted or pardoned many, esp near the end of each term. Ford having the most infamous of all, when he as the last non-elected POTUS, quickly pardoned his predecessor (who chose him as his VP) in Nixon. And the amount of pardons granted by Obama were minuscule in comparison to the amount which were denied: https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-denials/pardons-denied-president-barack-obama

Last edited:
Trump has been in office ~7 months, Obama 8 years, he, GWB, Clinton, GHWB, and likely Reagan, Carter, Ford, ect..have commuted or pardoned many, esp near the end of each term. Ford having the most infamous of all, when he as the last non-elected POTUS, quickly pardoned his predecessor (who chose him as his VP) in Nixon. And the amount of pardons granted by Obama were minuscule in comparison to the amount which were denied: https://www.justice.gov/pardon/obama-denials/pardons-denied-president-barack-obama

My point was 7 months or not it's one pardon.. Maybe when he's out he'll have the record. And I wasn't comparing one against the other, just the latest. I mean that is a lot of pardons.. No other POTUS gets a pass from me either.. I don't think they should have the power to pardon. But how can you bitch on one but for Obama it's "well many didn't go through."

My point was 7 months or not it's one pardon.. Maybe when he's out he'll have the record. And I wasn't com grant clparing one against the other, just the latest. I mean that is a lot of pardons.. No other POTUS gets a pass from me either.. I don't think they should have the power to pardon. But how can you bitch on one but for Obama it's "well many didn't go through."

Governors can commute the sentences of state convicts and grant clemency to prisoners who are on death row. My bringing up Ford pardoning Nixon, was b/c it was relevant to the topic posted, not b/c I was bitching about what happened over 40 years ago. I have no problems with any president pardoning convicts who have served time, but not for those who haven't even been sentenced yet, and this particular instance., reeks of being a divisive partisan publicity stunt.

Obama was editor of the Harvard Law Review in college, both he and his wife have law degrees, unlike who succeeded them. Also had capable qualified people in his administration who did the preliminary work reviewing the petitions, which were sent in by inmates and/or their attorneys, unlike our present self-described "law and order' president and his musical-chairs staff.

Last edited:
now that I've read more about the case, it's clear there were plenty of egregious violations of due process among other serious violations. For example,

The first problem is that the federal judge in this case, Snow, was required to recuse himself under federal law. Federal law at 28 U.S.C. ? 455(b)(5)(ii) commands a judge to remove himself from a case if an immediate family member “is acting as a lawyer in the proceeding.” Snow’s brother-in-law is a partner at Covington & Burling, which was representing the other side of the lawsuit. Yet not only did Snow refuse to recuse himself, but he also did not even disclose his family’s involvement in the case to the other parties in the lawsuit.

Arpaio almost certainly would have won on appeal based on that alone. The pardon saved time, money and other court resources - probably the right thing to do.

Sessions' appeals to "the rule of law" ring a little hollow when his boss just pardoned disgraced former sheriff Arpaiao without him serving a day of his sentence, no?

Back