Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Irma biggest ever Hurricane?

Anything near Daytona? My Mom has a friend there and she says she's staying..

Probably....depending upon when/where/if Irma turns northward to follow the current computer model track.

IIRC, there was a Pacific cyclone last year or the year before, that packed wind speeds of ~200 mph, can''t recall if they were "sustained" though.

I have read that tropical depressions which form off the west coast of Saharan Africa, are those who move west and eventually become tropical storms, which then develop into hurricanes.Doesn't explain where cyclones are birthed, including those that hit Australia/NZ.

if you look up hurricane/typhoon/cyclone tracks for the various oceans, you can see there are specific areas where they tend to develop, and common tracks most of them follow.

I'm not sure why they develop... I guess it's a factor of winds/continents/currents in or around those parts of the oceans. seems like it's only going to get worse, since "hurricane fuel" is warm water, and we're warming the oceans, along with the rest of the planet.

time to move near the center of the continent.

if you look up hurricane/typhoon/cyclone tracks for the various oceans, you can see there are specific areas where they tend to develop, and common tracks most of them follow.

I'm not sure why they develop... I guess it's a factor of winds/continents/currents in or around those parts of the oceans. seems like it's only going to get worse, since "hurricane fuel" is warm water, and we're warming the oceans, along with the rest of the planet.

time to move near the center of the continent.

Forgot about typhoons, which is just another name for the same weather phenomenon. Its ironic that the states which contain the highest percentage of climate-change deniers, are also the most vulnerable, and ground zero for the negative effect/impact that it will have in the coming decades.

Read that MI will be one of the best states to live in, when it really begins to become catastrophic on a global scale. But if so, I won't still be around by then.

It's crazy there are 3 hurricanes back to back to back right now out there . Just amazing .

I am 45 minutes north of there. It could run straight up the coast and be a 3 or 4 when it hits Daytona.

in terms of planning, this site may be extremely useful for you: space city weather.

they cover houston weather, but also give forecasts for bigger storms / hurricanes. it's just a blog, but the guys who run it are meteorologists for oil companies. they know their business. a lot of info on current projections for Irma there & updated multiple times a day.

Thanks I will check it out now.

sounds like you have a couple days to prepare at least. good luck!

at least you're not evacuating from a major city. apparently when Houston tried that for Hurricane Rita, it jammed all the roads out so bad, more people ended up dying in their cars in the massive 12+ hour traffic jam than in the actual hurricane. That's why they didn't order an evacuation for Harvey.

I'd also download ways or make sure you can view traffic on your way out.

also fill up gas tanks all the way whenever you can, and get a spare couple gallons in a can if possible. Harvey was over a week ago, and there are still gas stations from here to Dallas that don't have gas for sale.

We are heading to Augusta to my sister in law's. If it hits Georgia hard we will move on to my mom's in the mountains of North Carolina.

Augusta is over 100 miles from the coast... you'll be fine, unless it stalls overhead and dumps 50+ inches of water on you. that far inland, Hurricanes are just big thunderstorms, basically.

while in Augusta, visit the James Brown memorial. that's what I would do.

Yeah I doubt we go farther than Augusta. We are actually on the road now, traffic was stop and go on 95 so we are on the back roads.

LOL... Rush Limbaugh called hurricane Irma another liberal scare tactic to push climate change politics and urged his idiot listeners to just ignore it, just announced he was evacuating south florida.

I wish he would've followed his own advice

LOL... Rush Limbaugh called hurricane Irma another liberal scare tactic to push climate change politics and urged his idiot listeners to just ignore it, just announced he was evacuating south florida.

I wish he would've followed his own advice

You are listening to him? Why? And you want him to perish in the storm?

You are listening to him? Why? And you want him to perish in the storm?

not listening to him. read quotes of his bit on hurricanes and then saw his statement on having to leave FL.

do I want him to perish... eh... well... uh...

... given the horrible and dangerous advice he just gave his listeners in regards to preparing for the storm, it would be fitting, no?

not listening to him. read quotes of his bit on hurricanes and then saw his statement on having to leave FL.

do I want him to perish... eh... well... uh...

... given the horrible and dangerous advice he just gave his listeners in regards to preparing for the storm, it would be fitting, no?

Did he mean to ignore the storm or ignore the global warming cries about the storm?

Did he mean to ignore the storm or ignore the global warming cries about the storm?

it's pretty easy to find his statement, but for some reason, my phone won't load any pages. just search for rush limbaugh + hurricane. he has the whole transcript posted on his site.

in my take, he means both, because he states that the hurricane news is hype, and criticizes stocking up on water, food, etc as all a moneymaking scam between the local media and grocery stores... so he doesn't say "don't do it" but he thinks it's all a scam.

Dittoheads can discern the difference?

Rush could take refuge in his panic room deep underground, that probably is also heavily fortified and stocked for a zombie apocalypse and nuke strike.

Back