Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 152 Tigers vs a's Sept 20, 2017

Anibal Sanchez is going out on a high note.

The veteran Detroit Tigers starter, who will be a free agent after this season, struck out eight batters in six innings Wednesday in what was likely his final start at Comerica Park.

But his teammates struggled offensively against Oakland Athletics starter Daniel Mengden, who led the A's to a 3-2 victory and a three-game sweep of the reeling Tigers.

Sanchez pitched six innings, allowed three hits and a lone run, while striking out eight and walking three.
In his two final starts at Comerica, including an outing against the White Sox five days ago, Sanchez has struck out 19 batters in 12 innings, allowing just two runs.

The A's scored their only run against Sanchez in the third on back-to-back doubles in the third. They added insurance runs against reliever Daniel Stumpf when Marcus Semien hit a two-run home run in the seventh.

The Tigers rallied in the ninth when Efren Navarro walked, Mikie Mahtook doubled and then Andrew Romine singled both of them home. Jose Iglesias grounded out and Alex Presley struck out to end the threat.

NOTABLE
Nicholas Castellanos extended his career-long hitting streak to 17 games with a single in the sixth inning. It's the longest streak since Magglio Ordonez hit in 18 consecutive games in 2011.

The Tigers will finish the year with a 9-24 record against the American League West, worst among all AL clubs. They went 1-5 against Oakland.

Tigers reliever Joe Jimenez pitched a scoreless eighth inning, striking out two. It was his first multi-strikeout outing since April 28.

Todays loss, their 10th defeat in the past 12 games, the Tigers fall to 4-16 in in September.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/athleti...374#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=492374
Boxscore.

ROARS:
Anibal Sanchez: He pitched well enough to leave Detroit a winner, striking out eight in six innings.

Joe Jimenez: A scoreless inning! And two strikeouts!

Andrew Romine: Don Kelly 2.0 was all of Detroit?s offense in this game, driving in both runs in the ninth.

HISSES:
Daniel Stumpf: The two-run homer he allowed to Marcus Semien in the seventh was ultimately the difference in the game. Double hiss for not even taking the loss for that flub.

The Tigers offense: Anibal deserved better, you guys.

STATS AND INFO:
Nicholas Castellanos extended his hit streak to 17 games with a single in the sixth. No word on how long his ?games with a creepy bitmoji GIF? streak runs.

Another embarrassing series .Guys playing for jobs next year and we get swept by the shitty A's. Team plays with no heart at all. This lack of intensity comes directly from our manager.

9th inning is a perfect example. It's 3-2 runner on first Romine with decent speed and we get a new catcher and pitcher ... send the damn runner Brad. Be aggressive! !! Because you know you have lost 90 games trying other shit...

Please Ilitch's sell this team !!!!!

We need new
Owner.
President.
Gm.
Manager and coaches
New scouting department.
New analytic Department.

Please find someone who knows how to build a team that is suited to
COMERICA PARK!!!!

Last edited:
We need a team built on defense, obp, speed, and gap to gap power . That would be perfect for comerica park

Oh and don't forget a above average pen like all Tiger Gm's seem to do !

Last edited:
Trivia.

Last Tiger(s) home grown to win Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and being named to All Star Team?

We need a team built on defense, obp, speed, and gap to gap power . That would be perfect for comerica park

I agree with all that.. Unfortunately we're a long way off. And with Stewart being a LF next year, I think he will, we're going in the wrong direction. I hate bad defense.

Nick should be a DH. Or trade him.. Can't we get a RF who can play RF?

Travis Fryman won all three, just not with DET. 1992 he won SS and was an AS. He was not a GG until 2000 with CLE, at age 31, which is late to get your first award.

The last 3 were Parrish, Whitaker and Trammell.

Parrish won all three with DET in 1983 and 1984. He had 2 All Stars and 1 SS outside of DET. His last season with DET was 1986, and he was a SS and AS.

Whikater won all three with DET in 1983, 1984 and 1985. No other GG. He was SS and AS in 1987.

Trammell won all three, just not in the same years. His Silver Sluggers came in 1987, 1988 and 1990, when he also was an All Star. His GG were in 1980, 1981, 1983 and 1984.

1985 was the last season a home grown DET player, while playing for DET, won all three. 1987 was when Trammell won Silver Slugger for the first time.

Last Home Grown GG, with DET

C = Parrish 1985

1B = None

2B = Whitaker 1985

SS = Trammell 1984

3B = None

OF = Stanley 1973

Last Home Grown SS, with DET

C = Avila 2011

1B = None

2B = Whitaker 1987

SS = Fryman 1992

3B = None

OF = None

Last Home Grown AS, with DET

C = Avila 2011

1B = T. Clark 2001

2B = Whitaker 1987

SS = Fryman 1993

3B = Inge 2009

OF = Granderson 2009

BLUF...this team does not develop it's own Gold Glove talent. When they do, they win World Series (1968 ,1984). 1984 had Parrish, Whitaker and Trammell. 1968 had Kaline, Freehan and Stanley. Only Stanley was void of also being an All Star. He was not great with the bat, but he was serviceable.

Debuts:

Kaline = Age 18-188d
Trammell = Age 19-200d
Freehan = Age 19-301d
Whitaker = Age 20-120d
Parrish = Age 21-082d
Fryman = Age 21-104d
Stanley = Age 22-055d

Avila = Age 22-189d
T. Clark = Age 23-080d
Granderson = Age 23-181d
Inge = Age 23-319d

Oh...did I mention that the ones that were winning GG and being an AS were making it happen before they were 28.

Age when they won GG and AS in same season

Kaline 22
Trammell 22
Freehan 23

Whitaker 26
Parrish = 27

Stars start out as 19, 20 or 21 year olds and they are producing well before they are 25. Trout, Harper, Bellinger, Seager, Stanton, Betts, etc, etc, etc. Tiger fans are left wondering if Nick Castellanos can even be average for his position, and he will be 26 next year. Christin Stewart will be 24 next year. While I think he will hit at the MLB level, he is destined to be a DH. We are probably still another 5-10 years away from seeing a home grown talent who can be an all star and a gold glove winner. Now, if we could get a couple, and at the same time, then maybe we can start talking about World Series again.

Each AL Team's Last All Star/Gold Glove in same season (home grown):

BOS 2016 M. Betts
CLE 2016 F. Lindor
KCR 2016 S. Perez
BAL 2015 M. Machado
HOU 2015 J. Altuve
SEA 2014 K. Seager
NYY 2012 R. Cano
MIN 2010 J. Mauer
TBR 2010 C. Crawford E. Longoria
TEX 2008 M. Young

TOR 2006 V. Wells
LAA 2000 D. Erstad

CHW 1992 R. Ventura
OAK 1990 M. McGwire

DET 1985 L. Whitaker

Last edited:
Didn't Polanco do it?

Gold gloves don't really mean that much to me. It's a very flawed award.

All star games are just as flawed imo

Last edited:
Didn't Polanco do it?

It is.. based on offense most of the time. These past 20+ years. I just wish we had better overall defense..

Didn't Polanco do it?

Fixed it. I was referring to home grown only. And regardless how flawed they are, they are a good representation of what has been happening.

Travis Fryman won all three, just not with DET. 1992 he won SS and was an AS. He was not a GG until 2000 with CLE, at age 31, which is late to get your first award.

Damn. I was so close...yet so far. :cry:

And Fryman won it because he had a very good year at the plate. He certainly didn't win because of the glove.

Fixed it. I was referring to home grown only. And regardless how flawed they are, they are a good representation of what has been happening.

I don't agree, but that's alright.

Speaking of all star games and gold gloves, I really wish they'd stop putting so much weight on the two for hall of fame inductions. I really hate seeing ASG appearances and GG's on their resumes when they're comparing players.

And Fryman won it because he had a very good year at the plate. He certainly didn't win because of the glove.

Kind of ironic that it was the year of by far his best offensive season. lol

Even Yadier Molina had to learn to hit before they'd give him the GG.

Kind of ironic that it was the year of by far his best offensive season. lol

Even Yadier Molina had to learn to hit before they'd give him the GG.

I agree. Jeter didn't deserve one of his five.

I completely agree that Gold Gloves is a farce. All Star selections for some are based on having a team representative (Robert Fick). But as a total, being an All Star and Gold Glove in the same season represents the fact that you are a "star". Having done it is multiple years is even more impressive. Detroit has not had a home grown positional "star" since Whitaker/1985. And compared to other teams, that is a long time of ineptness.

Back