Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 Playoffs - Astros electronic sign stealing - Now Astros fire Luhnow and Hinch

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/10/justin_verlander_astros_1.html#incart_river_index
After loss to Yankees, Astros relying on Justin Verlander to save season.
Mlive

The series returns to Houston on Friday at 8 p.m. In Verlander's last outing at Minute Maid Park, he struck out 13 in nine innings, allowing just one run in a 2-1 victory.

Verlander, who went 5-0 with a 1.46 ERA in the regular season after being traded to the Astros, is 3-0 in the playoffs.

He's pitched in four elimination games in his career with the Tigers, according to STATS. They were Game 5 of the 2006 World Series; Game 5 of the 2011 ALCS; Game 5 of the 2012 Division Series; and Game 5 of the 2013 Division Series).

The Tigers lost the World Series game to the St. Louis Cardinals, but won the other three.

Verlander posted a 1.48 ERA with 33 strikeouts in 30 1/3 innings in those four appearances.

it's looking like the WS will be LA vs. NYY. Very disappointing

Maybe.

As Yogi Berra said, "it ain't over 'til it's over..."

I was hoping for the Tribe at the beginning of the post season, just because it's been so long for their fans...after that, my adopted home town Dodgers are my team.

At this point, I'd love LA and New York.

If you live in one of the places and root for the team, you love the rivalry.

Maybe.

I was hoping for the Tribe at the beginning of the post season, just because it's been so long for their fans...after that, my adopted home town Dodgers are my team.

And if you don't you hate it..

And if you don't you hate it..

I notice you have a little fondness for your adopted Phoenix's MLB franchise after the Tigers.

So if you had come to LA rather than AZ, maybe you'd like the Dodgers rather than hate them because they're number two team's rival.

Maybe.

I don't understand how it can be a rivalry anymore...they have only played each other 13 times in the past 60 years.

I notice you have a little fondness for your adopted Phoenix's MLB franchise after the Tigers.

So if you had come to LA rather than AZ, maybe you'd like the Dodgers rather than hate them because they're number two team's rival.

Possibly. You make a good point.

I don't understand how it can be a rivalry anymore...they have only played each other 13 times in the past 60 years.

There's a Los Angeles/New York rivalry in just about everything, not only sports.

While New York has some things going for it above LA, at the end of the day, it's still comes in as the second coolest city in the country.

The problem with New Yorkers is, they haven't figured that out yet.

They probably never will.

It comes down to attitude of their fan base. Dodger fans tend to be laid back. Yankee/Red Sox fans tend to be arrogant. I live in NY. The comedy of a Yankee fan (I work with many), they cannot even name their starting 9, or even half of their 25-man roster. Yet, when confronted with this, they next want to bring up their history of winning World Series titles. It is easy to be a fan for a winner. It takes character to maintain being a fan of a team that has a history ineptitude (i.e. Lions).

Also, big difference between a fan and a follower. Fan is short for fanatic. Fanatics tend to know about their own team. Followers just know enough.

Of small market cities with 3-4 pro-sports franchises, Pittsburgh has enjoyed the most success from all, albeit sans an NBA team. Cleveland the least, absent an NHL team.

Of small market cities with 3-4 pro-sports franchises, Pittsburgh has enjoyed the most success from all, albeit sans an NBA team. Cleveland the least, absent an NHL team.

I think Boston has had the most success.

Phoenix could be right there with Cleveland. They only have one title with 4 professional teams.

I think Boston has had the most success.

Phoenix could be right there with Cleveland. They only have one title with 4 professional teams.

Boston is a large market city, and didn't consider Phoenix' (now AZ) NFL and NHL franchises since they are more recent moves from St. Louis ('88) and Winnipeg ('96). The Diamondbacks are an MLB expansion franchise ('98).

Last edited:
Boston is a large market city, and didn't consider Phoenix' (now AZ) NFL and NHL franchises since they are more recent moves from St. Louis ('88) and Winnipeg ('96). The Diamondbacks are an MLB expansion franchise ('98).

This.

Not only is Boston a large market, at the time they were selling Babe Ruth's MLB contract to the Yankees so the Red Sox owner could finance a Broadway play - having won a number of World Series theretofore - Phoenix was the desert trading post where the fictional location of Blazing Saddles was set.

JV does it again, exporting his Tigers' postseason Yankee killer dominance to the Astros, going 7 IP wih no runs, one walk, 8 Ks. and 5 hits.

I watched the top of the 9th.. My only time I watched this post season. Still can't muster up enough to watch JV this post season. Too strange not seeing JV in the English D. I do hope he gets his elusive title though..

Back