Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Basketball early games thread

Whoever set this spread at 18 is moronic

Nunn was supposedly out for this game, that had something to do with it.

It was a great day downtown, good MSU crown at the game. Give Tum and Goins a lot of credit in this win, Tum shut Nunn down late in the game. Goins was excellent against the zone, he had 7 assists and I think they were all in the 2nd half. I liked having Goins up top and Jackson on the baseline, that also opened the lane for Winston late.

Officials have been awful both ways all game

Officiating was horrific, they called the first 8 fouls on Oakland, mainly inside because they couldn't handle Ward and Jackson, then after Kampe got the warning they tried to even things out. The second half had 10 fouls in the first 5 minutes, just killed the flow of the game. There was an inadvertent whistle when MSU had the ball, not sure what they said on TV since I was at the game, but that short official seemed to want to take the game over.

Also, I'm a little concerned with Ward's free throw shooting over the last few games. He missed 4 early in the second that prevented us from creating some separation

I know it was garbage time but seeing Mcquiad hit back to back threes was a welcome sight. He and Langford and so crucial.

Not sure I want to nitpick a 45 point victory. But 24 offensive rebounds for Houston Baptist? I'd that and the 3-point defense are definitely the areas that need shoring up when the competition starts getting tough again.

Bridges got it going for the first time in a while. Hopefully it keeps him aggressive as he hasn't looked himself for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Are the offensive rebounds a function of all the outside, longer-range shooting teams have to do? I haven't seen the last two games but it seems there is some amount of guys getting to balls in the paint because we're going for blocks and not boxing out but it seems more the case that a lot of these offensive rebounds are long shots taking big bounces off the rim. I'm sure there's data on that somewhere but is this the case or are we getting beat a lot more in the paint?

Either way, it has to be addressed as we're giving up too many extra possessions but if it's more one than the other, how it gets addressed is different.

Are the offensive rebounds a function of all the outside, longer-range shooting teams have to do? I haven't seen the last two games but it seems there is some amount of guys getting to balls in the paint because we're going for blocks and not boxing out but it seems more the case that a lot of these offensive rebounds are long shots taking big bounces off the rim. I'm sure there's data on that somewhere but is this the case or are we getting beat a lot more in the paint?

Either way, it has to be addressed as we're giving up too many extra possessions but if it's more one than the other, how it gets addressed is different.

It's been an issue all season. Other Grayson Allen hitting some tough shots, what killed us vs Duke is them getting a ton of offensive rebounds.

I think the cause is all of the above. Guards aren't doing a good job on long rebounds because they're trying to get out on the break and I think the bigs often aren't doing a good job of blocking out. One, because sometimes going for the block doesn't leave you in great rebounding position and two, them trying to rely on length and athleticism. But if JJJ is trying to block a shot, that is no reason why Ward and Bridges can't be boxing out.

Also since opponents are shooting such a low percentage, there are simply more missed shots available for them to try and get offensive rebounds on. So that part would be somewhat expected.

One thing that drives me nuts that I’ve noticed we’ve done the past few game games is fouling three point shooters, it’s just inexcusable. Keith appling was the absolute worst offender of that a few years ago, he was good for at least one a game.

It's been an issue all season. Other Grayson Allen hitting some tough shots, what killed us vs Duke is them getting a ton of offensive rebounds.

I think the cause is all of the above. Guards aren't doing a good job on long rebounds because they're trying to get out on the break and I think the bigs often aren't doing a good job of blocking out. One, because sometimes going for the block doesn't leave you in great rebounding position and two, them trying to rely on length and athleticism. But if JJJ is trying to block a shot, that is no reason why Ward and Bridges can't be boxing out.

Also since opponents are shooting such a low percentage, there are simply more missed shots available for them to try and get offensive rebounds on. So that part would be somewhat expected.

Yeah, I think it's often the case that you have two guys trying to block the same shot - that shouldn't happen much, particularly when the primary defender is Jackson, which should leave 2 other bigs to box out. The other problem is a bit tougher - you want to run, but that's tough to do when you don't have the ball.

Cleveland State doesn't belong on the same floor as us. 63-25 at the half. We are executing extremely well, shooting lights out, and the defense is stifling. CSU hit like 3 prayer 3s or it could be worse.

Tum Tum just airballed a jump shot from the free throw line. Holy shit an 8 year old doesn?t do that.

Ready for this cupcake portion of the schedule to end, though most of the Big Ten this year may not be all that much better.

Is there a worse offensive player in the Izzo era than Tum? Maybe idong ibok but I don?t even count him as having played enough minutes to warrant consideration.

Yes, he's bad offensively but the team is playing absolutely great, just put up 111 points on 65% shooting and we want to talk about one airball?

Yes, he's bad offensively but the team is playing absolutely great, just put up 111 points on 65% shooting and we want to talk about one airball?

Just frustrating that he has not improved a single ounce his 4 years here. Of course it?s a small gripe in the grand scheme of things but still irritating.

Thinking this team partied a night earlier than everyone for New Years. What a pathetic start against a team allowing 96 PPG. 11 turnovers in 12 minutes.

32-0 run to end the game, outscored them 57-14 in the second half. 108-52 final.

We will be the new #1 team.

Nick Ward is in the conversation for one of the top 10 players in college basketball. He can’t be stopped in the paint.

Last edited:
Back