Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bridges, or at least Bridges' mom named in NCAA probe

Maybe it’s the numerous schools that are implicated or the constant teams getting in trouble, but I’m honestly getting to the point of fatigue where I do not care anymore. Cheat away. Ask Louisville fans if they regret their team winning a title and having it vacated, I don’t see teams cutting down the nets for running a clean program. It’s only $400 allegedly but the rules are the rules. If it happened he should be disciplined. Well see what becomes of this to the program as a whole. With major programs being allegedly involved my guess is nothing becomes of this.

The school shouldn't be in trouble if Izzo knew nothing about it. We don't even know if Bridges knew about it, but if it's true then probably a suspension of some amount would be in order. How many games would depend probably how big of a deal they think the dollar amount is and perhaps whether Miles knew about any of it (or maybe that doesn't matter).

Agree on the fatigue factor. Kind of not really caring anymore. If the NCAA acts quickly on any of this then the NCAA tournament will sure look a lot different.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying Nash, but I think it's highly possible Miles didn't even know about the $400. Should he or the school be punished for that? And if he did, yeah that's breaking the rules but what's he supposed to do? Report his mom to the NCAA and risk losing his own eligibility over something he didn't do? especially if he found out after the fact, when he couldn't stop it.

I'm not saying he definitely shouldn't but materiality matters - if it's thousands of dollars and he keeps quiet or if he was talking/negotiating with an agent, it's a bit more clear cut. But even at $400 to his mom, he himself could receive a harsh penalty like losing his eligibility or a long suspension, etc. So now it's a choice between definitely getting some kind of punishment, potentially a severe one, or rolling the dice and keeping his mouth shut over $400 his mom took. And when you see how inconsistent the NCAA is in doling out punishments, it becomes even less surprising that a guy in his situation wouldn't say anything.

Last edited:
The school shouldn't be in trouble if Izzo knew nothing about it. We don't even know if Bridges knew about it, but if it's true then probably a suspension of some amount would be in order. How many games would depend probably how big of a deal they think the dollar amount is and perhaps whether Miles knew about any of it (or maybe that doesn't matter).

Agree on the fatigue factor. Kind of not really caring anymore. If the NCAA acts quickly on any of this then the NCAA tournament will sure look a lot different.

when you compare the infractions at UNC to those at ND and then compare the penalties the two schools received, it's nearly impossible to know what matters to the NCAA.

If she took the money he should sit a few games. My guess is she issues a denial today and that's it. The UK playing implicated already issued a denial and that's all that will happen with him. The guy whose expense report is being focused on is a criminal. Simply listing names in a spread sheet with money doesn't implicate anyone. But if there is more proof behind it, such as texts or emails, then something more will happen.

The NCAA should tell the schools what to do, but they won't they'll jut take the path of least resistance.

If she took the money he should sit a few games. My guess is she issues a denial today and that's it. The UK playing implicated already issued a denial and that's all that will happen with him. The guy whose expense report is being focused on is a criminal. Simply listing names in a spread sheet with money doesn't implicate anyone. But if there is more proof behind it, such as texts or emails, then something more will happen.

The NCAA should tell the schools what to do, but they won't they'll jut take the path of least resistance.

I don't know if it's a "sit a few games" situation, either he's eligible or he's not. We do know that this ledger memo was 5 months after he committed to MSU, it wasn't a case of getting cash to attend a school like it was at UL. Also, Dawkins father was a long time Saginaw high coach, coached Draymond so it's not unusual for Izzo to have a relationship with him. His brother actually passed away after playing at a MSU Izzo run tournament.

If this is just a case of an agent allegedly giving a players mother $400 for whatever reason (often travel expenses) it's not a big deal. If there's more to this, then it's a big story.

Also, this is one ledger from one agency. I think every power 5 program likely has players that have had contact with agents in this manner.

As long as Bridges didn't benefit from this and didn't know about it, this should blow over.

I don't know if it's a "sit a few games" situation, either he's eligible or he's not. We do know that this ledger memo was 5 months after he committed to MSU, it wasn't a case of getting cash to attend a school like it was at UL. Also, Dawkins father was a long time Saginaw high coach, coached Draymond so it's not unusual for Izzo to have a relationship with him. His brother actually passed away after playing at a MSU Izzo run tournament.

If this is just a case of an agent allegedly giving a players mother $400 for whatever reason (often travel expenses) it's not a big deal. If there's more to this, then it's a big story.

Also, this is one ledger from one agency. I think every power 5 program likely has players that have had contact with agents in this manner.

As long as Bridges didn't benefit from this and didn't know about it, this should blow over.

until hungry links it to the Nasser case by accusing Izzo of covering up Dawkins sexually assaulting Bridges' mother and Izzo arranging the $400 as hush money, then it will never die - at least on the wolverine DSF page.

Last edited:
until hungry links it to the Nasser case by accusing Izzo of covering up Dawkins sexually assaulting Bridges' mother and Izzo arranging the $400 as hush money, then it will never die - at least on the wolverine DSF page.

It?s all part of the MSU Illuminati!

Attachments

• 659B1A81-7370-4BCA-B6D2-B623D83EB503.jpg
    659B1A81-7370-4BCA-B6D2-B623D83EB503.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 14
So if his mom admits to being paid, Bridges would likely face a 1-3 game suspension. But she’s not compelled to talk to anyone much less admit anything. The NCAA has been contacted and probably told MSU what to do for now in regards to playing Bridges.

One thought is you sit him tomorrow and for the BTT just to be sure he can play after that, but I seriously doubt the NCAA comes to any conclusions before the end of March.

Looks like this Dawkins shopped Bowen to IU and MSU asking for former player intros to try to sign in trade for Bowen. IU and MSU told him no thanks and that’s not coincidentally when IU and MSU stopped recruiting Bowen.

I am pretty much fatigued on the whole thing already. Quite frankly, other than maybe the Sean Miller stuff, the whole thing isn't nearly as explosive as I expected. Lots of agents buying people meals and giving them advances on their future NBA earnings and that sort of thing. It doesn't even look like in most cases the universities and/or coaches had anything to do with any of it. Though again it's probably only a small fraction of everything that goes on, since all this was just stuff connected to one agency.

Lots of columns today basically calling for just doing away with the amateurism rules as they exist today. And I would tend to agree. The universities need not be paying the players directly (as then you're going to be running into Title IX issues), but if a player wants to go sign a deal with a shoe company while they're still in college or have some dealings with an agent and get some advances on his future income, why should the NCAA stand in the way of that? Let capitalism and the markets drive it all.

The only other option is for the NCAA and universities to scale everything back. Quit signing billion dollar TV contracts, and spending millions upon millions on facilities and coaching salaries in a ridiculous arms race and go to the way things are in Div II and III, but we know none of that will ever happen.

Last edited:
Rico Beard
‏@RicoBeard
26m26 minutes ago
I would have done 1 or 2 but it seems like all the big schools called the NCAA and it appears they said no suspension is necessary.

Seems like the NCAA doesn't really consider a screen shot from a known embezzler's spread sheet to be evidence of wrong doing.

Rico Beard
‏@RicoBeard
26m26 minutes ago
I would have done 1 or 2 but it seems like all the big schools called the NCAA and it appears they said no suspension is necessary.

Seems like the NCAA doesn't really consider a screen shot from a known embezzler's spread sheet to be evidence of wrong doing.

I mentioned this in another thread, but what would the NCAA really do? They stand to lose just as much as these big schools. How much of a hit would March Madness take if every team with an elite NBA-caliber player had to stay home? The NCAA has always only cared about money, and there's no denying good players and good teams are the source of that money.

I'm under no illusion that anybody is truly "clean" in major college sports. I'm just tired of it all "breaking" as if this is only now news. I'm tired of the NCAA standing back and pretending to take the high ground on amateurism and the integrity of sports. I'm tired of the media passing moral judgments on 17 and 18 year olds from poor neighborhoods who (in most cases) just want to take care of their families.

I'm all for doing away with amateurism (which hasn't truly existed in decades). In fact, I'd be more than happy to see a D-1 salary cap replace amateurism altogether. You want that top recruit? Go for it, pay him a million dollars a year. BUT, your whole team has to fit in a 10 million dollar budget. It's total free agency every year. And yes, I realize MANY teams won't be able to afford a 10 million dollar team every year, but those are the team taking 1-2 star guys in the first place. Every player that signs also has to give a minimal number of rights to the NCAA (bring back my NCAA video games) for likeness and promotion, but can sign on for shoe deals or commercials however they want.

I mentioned this in another thread, but what would the NCAA really do? They stand to lose just as much as these big schools. How much of a hit would March Madness take if every team with an elite NBA-caliber player had to stay home? The NCAA has always only cared about money, and there's no denying good players and good teams are the source of that money.

I'm under no illusion that anybody is truly "clean" in major college sports. I'm just tired of it all "breaking" as if this is only now news. I'm tired of the NCAA standing back and pretending to take the high ground on amateurism and the integrity of sports. I'm tired of the media passing moral judgments on 17 and 18 year olds from poor neighborhoods who (in most cases) just want to take care of their families.

I'm all for doing away with amateurism (which hasn't truly existed in decades). In fact, I'd be more than happy to see a D-1 salary cap replace amateurism altogether. You want that top recruit? Go for it, pay him a million dollars a year. BUT, your whole team has to fit in a 10 million dollar budget. It's total free agency every year. And yes, I realize MANY teams won't be able to afford a 10 million dollar team every year, but those are the team taking 1-2 star guys in the first place. Every player that signs also has to give a minimal number of rights to the NCAA (bring back my NCAA video games) for likeness and promotion, but can sign on for shoe deals or commercials however they want.

Agree with most of this. I don't think the universities and/or the NCAA can or should be directly dishing out the money, as mostly only the football/basketball programs would be able to afford it, and you're going to run into Title IX issues when the women's sports don't get that same type of compensation. But as far as making money on the side from agents or shoe companies or whatever, let the players get whatever they can get there. Sure it creates the deals where those outside organizations steer players to certain schools in exchange for other things, and that's not ideal, but that is also already going on anyway.

Rivals guy now saying that the NCAA cleared the players to play too.

Much to do about nothing. UM fans will have to wait for the glory of not having to compete with Izzo and/or Dantonio until they decide to retire.

I'm not sure title 9 would come into play with profit driven sport compensation. Title 9 is about discrimination. Girls are already allowed to try out for football, and some are even playing at the college level. There's no reason they couldn't also try out for the basketball team. As long as there is no explicit discrimination based on gender (as opposed to ability), I don't think title 9 would matter.

NCAA president has appeared to say discipline for Arizona's coach and Ayton are up to the school...

Remind me again what the Fuck the point of the NCAA is?

I'm not sure title 9 would come into play with profit driven sport compensation. Title 9 is about discrimination. Girls are already allowed to try out for football, and some are even playing at the college level. There's no reason they couldn't also try out for the basketball team. As long as there is no explicit discrimination based on gender (as opposed to ability), I don't think title 9 would matter.

gender equity demands go way beyond opportunity. If guys start getting paid by the schools, women will cry foul, even though their revenues don't support it. They couldn't give a shit about the reality of supply and demand. They'll say if a state funded university pays a guy, then they have to pay the same to women too. I'm sure that even if you came up with something like an entirely booster funded program, they'd still demand half of it.

Miles Bridges cleared to play moving forward.

"Our compliance office conducted a thorough internal review. [MSU] presented its findings to the NCAA, and Miles Bridges has been cleared for competition moving forward, beginning Sunday at Wisconsin.”

~MSU Interim AD Bill Beekman

NCAA president has appeared to say discipline for Arizona's coach and Ayton are up to the school...

Remind me again what the Fuck the point of the NCAA is?

to collect money & protect their brand as well as the brand of their pet programs and then take out their wrath on programs like ND for wanting the best of both worlds - conference subsidies for their shit programs and remaining independent in football to keep 100% of the money it generates.

Back