Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Solid Signing !!!

Almost has bad as the Pelfrey signing, but not as bad.

One of the lowest Innings Pitched per Games Started over the last few years.

High number of Wild Pitches.

High ERA

High WHIP

High xFIP

High OPP OPS

Must have been an analytics department decision.

Last edited:
Cheap quantity over expensive quality for a ballclub which most likely won't even be very competitive for the next few years. A one year contact for a 32 year old warm body to throw against the pitchers' wall, and hope he sticks to it next year.

wouldn't surprise me at all, if the Tigers' SP, BP, and defense surrender 1000+ RS next season.

Last edited:
I don't understand these early signings. The Tigers should be looking for bargains. Bargains don't appear at the beginning of the FA signing period...they are found towards the end.

I don't understand these early signings. The Tigers should be looking for bargains. Bargains don't appear at the beginning of the FA signing period...they are found towards the end.

They signed Pelfrey on 6 December 2015, because Avila was afraid someone else would take him. Check to articles from that signing. Maybe it is the same with Fiers and Martin.

I have zero confidence in Al Avila as a GM. None.

Least it is only 1 year . Maybe the new Tigers coaching staff will turn him into a vy young winner !!!!!!

Least it is only 1 year . Maybe the new Tigers coaching staff will turn him into a vy young winner !!!!!!

When a player is 32, they are what they are. All coaches can do is spot and/or correct minor flaws, they do no perform miracles.

Don't really like tha guy he has occsional control problems and hits people in the head tthis team is going to be horrible next year

Last edited:
At least its only a 1 year contract. It won't hurt as bad when he is cut in April

Great signing!!!! A half season of being probably our most consistent starter and turned him into a couple prospects yet to be named. Amazing job Al!!!

Having Turner starting instead of Fiers is really gonna put a hit on our postseason chances

Great signing!!!! A half season of being probably our most consistent starter and turned him into a couple prospects yet to be named. Amazing job Al!!!

Worked out better than i ever would have imagined !! Still 6 million for Fiers is ridiculous haha

Fiers 3 starts in Oakland

2-0 (they won all 3 games)

18.1 IP, 11 hits, 3 ER, 21 K, 1 BB

His last start

7.0 IP, 1 hit, 0ER, 1BB, 8K

Back