Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shooting improvements?

SpartyNash

My friends and I were talking about this over the weekend, maybe it?s just us but where the hell is the player development for players jump shooting abilities in recent years? I can think of numerous examples of guys who either were recruits who could allegedly shoot it lights out or never improved their lackluster shooting an ounce their entire careers:
Matt mcquaid, Russell Byrd, Tum Tum, Travis Walton, branden Dawson, Keith appling, Chris hill

Of course there?s a few examples of guys that vastly improved like adreian Payne or draymond green but on the whole it seems like guys are not developing into shooters.

My friends and I were talking about this over the weekend, maybe it’s just us but where the hell is the player development for players jump shooting abilities in recent years? I can think of numerous examples of guys who either were recruits who could allegedly shoot it lights out or never improved their lackluster shooting an ounce their entire careers:
Matt mcquaid, Russell Byrd, Tum Tum, Travis Walton, branden Dawson, Keith appling, Chris hill

Of course there’s a few examples of guys that vastly improved like adreian Payne or draymond green but on the whole it seems like guys are not developing into shooters.

who was the guy that worked on his 3 point shooting like 2 hours a day - they have that contraption set up so he doesn't need a rebounder on made shots. Was it Charlie Bell? Has it been that long since we've had such a gym rat that it actually gets talked about? Doesn't seem possible. Maybe it was Lucas - until his senior year when he and Summers wasted their best chance.

Last edited:
Well, Denzel came in as so-so shooter as a freshman, and improved to lights out by senior year.

You are talking about something that isn't as common as you think. The skill of shooting while certainly able to be honed and perfected over time is also something that some players never figure out. In fact I would say the majority of the time everywhere when players come in as non-shooters they leave as non-shooters (Dawson, Tum Tum, Walton though he became a reasonably consistent mid-range shooter as a senior are all good examples). The form and technique isn't there and isn't ever going to be.

Then you've got other guys who didn't necessarily come in as shooters, but at least had the form and technique down and showed promise there, but just needed to keep working at it and see things come together. Payne comes to mind there.

Then you've got good shooters who become great, good and average shooters that stay good or average, and guys who were overrated in High School and never could adjust to the higher competition level and probably lost their confidence along the way (Byrd).

Last edited:
Huh?

McQuaid and Langford have raised their 3 point shooting % by 2 points and 5 points respectively, and Cassisus Winston has raised his 3 pt shooting by over 14 percentage points. Even Tum Tum is shooting 38% from 3 this year as opposed to 32% last.

Only Bridges's has dropped by 5 points, and I think he's settling for them way too much.

FT shooting has gone way way up too, from under 70% to 76% this year. Cassius and Bridges have made huge jumps in FT %. IMO, the issues come from settling for jump shots too often in our offense.

You can become a better shooter with practice but it's not a simple equation where more hours in the gym = more makes, there are fundamentals that need to be worked on and you can solidify bad habits if you're not practicing correctly.

Also, shooting percentage is linked to shooting ability but it may have to do with spacing on the floor, being the focus of the defense, etc.

MSU hasn't shot well from 3 over the last 3 games, but we've had almost zero open transition 3's. I don't know if it's a case of poor shooting, more of a case of not having the higher percentage looks available due to playing against better athletes and deeper rosters that can get back and take those looks away,

Also Appling went from horrendous as a sophomore shooting the ball to fairly solid as a senior until the wrist injury wrecked him.

MSU is no better or worse than other programs as far as the development of that skill. They have had some pretty good shooting teams over the past 5 years or so. Go back and look at the stats. People probably think that Beilein develops shooters, but mostly he recruits guys that have a certain skillset, shooting being foremost among them, rather than recruiting based on rankings (which gives preference to players with a higher level of athleticism), and then puts them in a system that effectively uses those skills.

Last edited:
MSU is 13th in the nation in 3 point shooting. UM is 92nd. We have better shooters than they do. It was just one of those games. UM shot better than they usually do. They also his their first 22 FTs when they had been shooting 60% from the line as a team.

Last edited:
My friends and I were talking about this over the weekend, maybe it?s just us but where the hell is the player development for players jump shooting abilities in recent years? I can think of numerous examples of guys who either were recruits who could allegedly shoot it lights out or never improved their lackluster shooting an ounce their entire careers:

Of course there?s a few examples of guys that vastly improved like adreian Payne or draymond green but on the whole it seems like guys are not developing into shooters.

Dawson never hit more than 5 jump shots in his tenure and his first wasnt until his senior year. Byrd lit it up as soon as he left MSU

MSU is 13th in the nation in 3 point shooting. UM is 92nd. We have better shooters than they do. It was just one of those games. UM shot better than they usually do. They also his their first 22 FTs when they had been shooting 60% from the line as a team.

Please stop. I know it's in my nature to not post on your board, but I'm just tired of seeing this. You guys probably will end up as a better team when this season is over, but Michigan, top to bottom, was better that day. Quit acting like it was some fluke. Michigan shot like 42 percent or something from the field, and it was horrible the majority of the game until the 2nd half.

Last edited:
I thought it was the Michigan defense that won the game that day. They locked up MSU's attack pretty effectively, especially in the second half. That and fighting to a standstill on the boards.

I thought it was the Michigan defense that won the game that day. They locked up MSU's attack pretty effectively, especially in the second half. That and fighting to a standstill on the boards.

Yeah, it was one of those days where you could "see" Michigan wanted it more. Just as I felt the exact opposite the other day against Nebraska lol. You could tell Michigan couldn't wait to get home.

Surprised we are that high and they are that low. Could be the benefit of some atrocious opponents in December.

Also, Tum has only shot 8 threes all season, there?s not enough of a sample size to indicate he has improved, because from every game I?ve watched it hasn?t improved an ounce in 4 years.

Please stop. I know it's in my nature to not post on your board, but I'm just tired of seeing this. You guys probably will end up as a better team when this season is over, but Michigan, top to bottom, was better that day. Quit acting like it was some fluke. Michigan shot like 42 percent or something from the field, and it was horrible the majority of the game until the 2nd half.

Michigan was clearly the better team that day and may still be right now. There was only one flukish aspect of the victory that you could point to if you're MSU and I'd say that's the free throw shooting. If a team ranked 13th in the big ten comes in and makes their first 19 to build a sizeable lead, you can say that's a bit of a fluke, at least from a MSU perspective. If a team shoots well from the floor or rebounds well, the opposition has a chance to impact that, there's no free throw line defense that you can employ. Considering that, it does play into the fact that UM was better that day, they were a poor free throw shooting team previously, but not that day.

Back