Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan Wolverines

Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #1

Florida Gator starters in BIG trouble!

This article says 150K stolen. I am hearing it was more like 15K but this is still a huge mess for them.

http://bluehqmedia.com/gator-footbal...it-card-fraud/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Forum Manager

Whoa losing Zaire almost guarantees us a win. Not sure if i want that or beating them at full strength. Damn.

Somebody kill somebody! I wanna see a ghost!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

The WR listed is their best playmaking WR as well and already has been on trouble. I cant find much more information on it as of now.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

$150,000 of credit card fraud seems a little unbelievable, given the fraud detection software banks have in place nowadays.

if Zaire is suspended or expelled, who is the next man up? I assume he only transferred there because they had no one of note.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #5

The next man up I believe is Felipe Franks a RS Fresh he was ranked just in ahead of Peters.

A few florida fans I have talked to say there is nothing to this story. They are claiming the football players are given a visa card to cover books and other school expenses and a player took it to Best Buy bought stuff then reported it stolen and sold the items. He then bragged about what he did and so other players as many as 7 did it and Florida caught on.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post
The next man up I believe is Felipe Franks a RS Fresh he was ranked just in ahead of Peters.

A few florida fans I have talked to say there is nothing to this story. They are claiming the football players are given a visa card to cover books and other school expenses and a player took it to Best Buy bought stuff then reported it stolen and sold the items. He then bragged about what he did and so other players as many as 7 did it and Florida caught on.
Ball State got in trouble for something similar. Players used their cards to buy other students books. I don't remember the penalty, but the NCAA hit them with something.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post

Why would these actions be considered "nothing?" True, the $150k amount sounds like a lot, but these actions are still illegal.

Last edited by hungry; 08-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #8

I also doubt this is just the players using their card. From what I've seen, there's a female UF student pressing charges.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

$150K divided between 5 players comes to an average of $30K per player. That doesn't seem like a lot. Also, I expect that these cards are not just provided to the football players, but to all athletes at Florida, and I suspect that the abuse is not limited to the football team. So, the $150K amount may just be a part of a much larger sum. This may be a much bigger mess for Florida.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Here's the Ball State deal I mentioned. They got 2 years probation, lost a few scholarships, and had practice time reduced.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...robation_n.htm