Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NBA Draft tonight

Davis' goal all along was to leave after a year. Izzo was aware of that. Almost seems to me that he limits minutes to guys that have a chance to leave. I still say that's what keeps us from getting some of the top recruits that we've been in on the last few years.

I think Izzo is not very willing to let freshmen play through their mistakes unless he has no other choice. Otherwise he'll put a vet in there that's not going to make mental mistakes and ride the freshmen if they're "on" on a given day, leave them on the bench if they're not. Zach Randolph and Marcus Taylor didn't start as freshmen while guys like David Thomas and Aloysius Anagonye started ahead of them.

I'm sure other schools try to use that as a negative recruiting tactic against Izzo. But then you look at say Kansas and Bill Self. He's had so many high level recruits flame out I've lost track, and he'll keep them on the bench too if he's got veterans that he trusts more. It still doesn't stop those kids from leaving after a year and being NBA busts. But he gets so many of them that he can point to a few successes too and he continues to get them.

Last edited:
That's the thing about losing guys early. You at least want to have gotten significant contributions out of them before they move on. Gary Harris averaging 13 and 17 before heading to the NBA qualifies. Davis giving us 7.5 and 5 in under 20 mpg does not. And yes how many minutes he SHOULD have played is a separate conversation.

that's the frustrating thing but that's also the difference between guards and big men. guards are more likely to be polished and ready to play, big men are often projects.

Cheick Diallo average 7.5 minutes per game, 3 points and 2 boards and he got drafted. it is possible for a player to not be ready for big time minutes at the college level and simultaneously be an intriguing project to a NBA team.

I think Izzo is not very willing to let freshmen play through their mistakes unless he has no other choice. Otherwise he'll put a vet in there that's not going to make mental mistakes and ride the freshmen if they're "on" on a given day, leave them on the bench if they're not. Zach Randolph and Marcus Taylor didn't start as freshmen while guys like David Thomas and Aloysius Anagonye started ahead of them.

I'm sure other schools try to use that as a negative recruiting tactic against Izzo. But then you look at say Kansas and Bill Self. He's had so many high level recruits flame out I've lost track, and he'll keep them on the bench too if he's got veterans that he trusts more. It still doesn't stop those kids from leaving after a year and being NBA busts. But he gets so many of them that he can point to a few successes too and he continues to get them.

Other schools are right to use it as a negative. If I was a Davis type recruit and Bill Self pointed out that Davis got yanked for guys like Wollenman and Goins all season long, not just here and there to make a point - particularly on the big stage in the NCAA tournament, that would factor into my decision. At least Self's kids are sitting behind NBA first rounders. Izzo is sitting Davis behind kids whose best options are law or med school or selling insurance in DeWitt.

Last edited:
I just watched an interview that Davis did with the Memphis Grizzlies. That was uncomfortable to watch. The guy asking the questions is trying so hard to get a couple of sentences out of him but it's just not happening. I grew up a shy, quiet kid, but this is beyond that!

Other schools are right to use it as a negative. If I was a Davis type recruit and Bill Self pointed out that Davis got yanked for guys like Wollenman and Goins all season long, not just here and there to make a point - particularly on the big stage in the NCAA tournament, that would factor into my decision. At least Self's kids are sitting behind NBA first rounders. Izzo is sitting Davis behind kids whose best options are law or med school or selling insurance in DeWitt.

I don't think Kansas has much to talk about when it comes to handling one and done players. They are arguably the worst program to go to if you're looking to play one year and go in the lottery and have a successful career. By the way, where's Cliff Alexander??

I doubt he will be in the league that long and the extremely introverted, shy thing isnt going to help where he doesnt know a sole. Play 2-3 years, become a top draft pick, get a bigger guarantee be more prepared in every aspect and if it doesnt work out, you made more $! Its a 90% chance it was an ill-advised move and being a top 35 not a top 10 is the first step. Yeah, I know hes Muskegon poor but in the end its just the more intelligent way to go in my opinion. I think Valentine will be in the league much longer. I also think he has a true 50/50 shot at a career in the NBA. Best of luck to both of them, I hope Davis makes it but his back is against the wall big time given all the factors weve mentioned previously. His salary is under $1,000,000, Ben Simmons the number #1 pick is $5,000,000.

Last edited:
I don't think Kansas has much to talk about when it comes to handling one and done players. They are arguably the worst program to go to if you're looking to play one year and go in the lottery and have a successful career. By the way, where's Cliff Alexander??

yeah, I agree. I think Bill Self is a horrible coach. If he didn't land way more talented players than Izzo, he'd be a nobody but that doesn't mean he and other coaches we compete with for elite talent (I just used Self as an example) shouldn't make the point about Izzo to other elite recruits - Krooziwooski should be saying it to recruits about Izzo and Self.

And as bad a game coach as I think Self is, he wasn't sitting one-and-dones while playing KU's version of Goins and Wollenman.

Back