Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ND game

Look on the bright side, we have to watch this beat down at least 3 more times. Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State

I give ND zero credit for this. we're beating ourselves on turnovers and penalties. except the first possession, every long drive for ND has been extended by penalties. the stat sheet is virtually tied except for TOs and penalties. if not for our mistakes (granted, that's a MASSIVE "if"), we'd win this game.

of course, we could very easily be sloppy with the ball and commit stupid penalties and it will be worse against good teams but ND gets no credit for this .

Last edited:
At least he did something. What did Dantonio do?

I've been saying dantonio needs to clean house for 3 years now but the point is, beating us when we hand him the game isn't "turning around" anything.

but this brings up a good point. I used to get verbally assaulted a few years back by a few posters here when I said I didn't think Dantonio was a great coach (btw, I still don't - and I'm sure at least 2 of those people will still say it's crazy talk). All his success came when uofm, osu and penn state were in the dumps. His record against Kelly is another reason I think this. He's 2-4 against this assclown. In 2012 he got completely jobbed by poor officiating but still, that would only make him .500 against a guy who has some of the best talent in the country and still manages to lose at least 4 games or more virtually every - and he does it often by losing to bad teams.

And the manner in which MD is losing these games is infuriating. Yes tonight, the players made a shit ton of mistakes but even if you don't fault him for the turnovers, the penalties are a discipline issue and discipline is all on the coach. Also, don't take the turnovers completely away - Scott has fumbled at least once every game this year and HE's still the primary back.

Yes, Kelly threw his staff under the bus and fired everyone but only because he was on the hot seat. I wonder if the same will finally happen to our staff if/when Dantonio starts feeling some heat. I'm not saying the guy needs to be fired - he beat his share of good teams during that stretch. And coaching MSU in a competitive B1G isn't an easy job but even now, with those traditional powerhouse teams rebounding, he should be winning at least 8 games every year and 9 pretty frequently and be a threat for B1G East and overall championships. and he should be at least 4-2 or better against Brian Kelly.

Last edited:
but this brings up a good point. I used to get verbally assaulted a few years back by a few posters here when I said I didn't think Dantonio was a great coach (btw, I still don't - and I'm sure at least 2 of those people will still say it's crazy talk). All his success came when uofm, osu and penn state were in the dumps. His record against Kelly is another reason I think this. He's 2-4 against this assclown. In 2012 he got completely jobbed by poor officiating but still, that would only make him .500 against a guy who has some of the best talent in the country and still manages to lose at least 4 games or more virtually every - and he does it often by losing to bad teams.

And the manner in which MD is losing these games is infuriating. Yes tonight, the players made a shit ton of mistakes but even if you don't fault him for the turnovers, the penalties are a discipline issue and discipline is all on the coach. Also, don't take the turnovers completely away - Scott has fumbled at least once every game this year and HE's still the primary back.

Yes, Kelly threw his staff under the bus and fired everyone but only because he was on the hot seat. I wonder if the same will finally happen to our staff if/when Dantonio starts feeling some heat. I'm not saying the guy needs to be fired - he beat his share of good teams during that stretch. And coaching MSU in a competitive B1G isn't an easy job but even now, with those traditional powerhouse teams rebounding, he should be winning at least 8 games every year and 9 pretty frequently and be a threat for B1G East and overall championships. and he should be at least 4-2 or better against Brian Kelly.

I wasn't one of the posters that got on you for that, but I do have some issues with this current post.

First, OSU hasn't been in the "dumps". They've had ONE bad season in Dantonio's tenure at MSU and that was the Luke Fickle year. Double digit wins every other year.

Secondly, PSU is what they've always been in the Big Ten. Mediocre with a few good seasons mixed in.

Michigan has went through a rough stretch for sure. I won't deny that. But even if you add 1 loss to every season he'd still be sitting with a very nice resume.

They bottom line in my opinion is that that his "fun uncle"(what i called it yesterday) coaching style works great when you have team leaders on the field that hold each other accountable. Now that we currently don't, he really needs to play that role and hold some accountability.

I assume everyone knows who those people are, or were - wtf happened to sbee? Anyway, OSU had the the Luke Fickell year then they were ineligible so they weren't relevant plus we didn't play them in 2009 and 2010. And despite being undefeated in 2012, they weren't dominant by any means - barely beat us on that bullshit call on the Braxton Miller fumble, beat IU by a field goal, needed to come back from down 2 scores to force OT at home against a shit Purdue team and needed OT to beat wisco too). So maybe they weren't "in the dumps" or at least not for as long. But for a critical 4 years of MD's tenure, they weren't the obstacle they've been lately and are likely to be going forward. Those factors definitely made it easier for Dantonio.

As for PSU, I agree they were mediocre for a very long time after joining the B1G, but they were still better than us for most of it - they beat us regularly. Their slump was nowhere near as bad or as long as ours which except for the Saban years (sort of) lasted from the '88 Rose Bowl to about 2009. MD definitely benefited from catching the tail end of Paterno's career and the scandal. They're a national brand and consistently recruit better than we do and now look like they have a decent coach even if he is a giant douche.

I'm not saying MD hasn't beaten good teams - he definitely has. The point is, it was much easier to compete in the B1G from 2007 through 2014, largely because of the condition of those teams for all or part of that period. The B1G East is brutal now - way tougher than it would have been if it was around from 2007-2014 and it looks like the recent trend will continue for the near future and it's because those 3 teams are better.

Last edited:
He still posts on other forums like spartanmag. I think he only posted here because he posted on the Tigers board, but Kaline pretty much ran him off of there. I know you guys didn't get along here, but I actually liked his Tiger/baseball knowledge. That Tiger board went to shit fast with the overbearing and overemotional mods.

I'm going to agree with both spartanmack and gotime's previous statements. Yes MSU benefitted some from UM being down for awhile. But the teams they had back then would have competed just fine in the current Big Ten East, maybe with a small handful of additional losses if all 3 of the other powers were as strong as they are now. And if those happen maybe they're a top 12 team instead of a top 6 team. Which is to say those MSU teams were legitimately good and not a fluke, as evidenced by some of the teams they beat in bowl games.

I don't think that is relevant to the current situation though. The teams this year and last are not as good as those teams and that has nothing to do with UM, PSU, and OSU now all being strong. And either Dantonio fixes it or he should feel some heat, and using "well UM and PSU are pretty strong right now" isn't going to be a legitimate excuse.

it's not clear that the 2009 and 2010 teams would have won all those games - in '10 we got didn't play OSU, mich and psu stunk and we got DESTROYED by Alabama in a bowl game. I agree that he has fields some teams that would compete in his B1G now but it's clear it was easier then and also clear weve taken some backward steps. these teams wouldn't be competitive during any of MD's tenure.

I think this team can still salvage the season. that was a horrible loss but everything that cost us is correctable. for me, the jury is still out on the o-line and that's a HUGE question mark but we have skill players other than the secondary that can produce if they can play with less mistakes.

He still posts on other forums like spartanmag. I think he only posted here because he posted on the Tigers board, but Kaline pretty much ran him off of there. I know you guys didn't get along here, but I actually liked his Tiger/baseball knowledge. That Tiger board went to shit fast with the overbearing and overemotional mods.

other than monster, mods here aren't even handed to put it mildly. they let whiny mich fans do and say what they want then come down on u for responding in kind. the one u mentioned is particularly bad. I got a series of emails from him for responding in kind to whiny bitches on the uofm board. they went crying to him and he came down on me with a threat of suspension (whoa big fella). I responded showing him who took the thread downhill and he responded with something like "you've been warned". there are a few crybaby mich fans and a mod or two that take themselves too seriously. could have something to do with why there are about six Spartan fans who post here somewhat regularly.

Last edited:
Monte Nicholson with beautiful coverage and an interception for the Redskins...the guy was brutal at MSU. Maybe he was put in bad positions where he would fail. That sounds a lot like coaching to me.

EDIT: This is off topic but I didn't want to make another thread.

Last edited:
Monte Nicholson with beautiful coverage and an interception for the Redskins...the guy was brutal at MSU. Maybe he was put in bad positions where he would fail. That sounds a lot like coaching to me.

EDIT: This is off topic but I didn't want to make another thread.

I always thought we used him wrong. He was one of our best athletes. Should've been used on returns and even offense.

other than monster, mods here aren't even handed to put it mildly. they let whiny mich fans do and say what they want then come down on u for responding in kind. the one u mentioned is particularly bad. I got a series of emails from him for responding in kind to whiny bitches on the uofm board. they went crying to him and he came down on me with a threat of suspension (whoa big fella). I responded showing him who took the thread downhill and he responded with something like "you've been warned". there are a few crybaby mich fans and a mod or two that take themselves too seriously. could have something to do with why there are about six Spartan fans who post here somewhat regularly.

I got the same threats from him. Very bully like. I post more in other forums now for Tigers. Not many good posters left on the Tigers forum here. It's too bad. We had a great group of guys over on the ESPN board. Many of them came and left here.

yeah, the bias is obvious as is the abuse of authority. he's those dorks in grade school who thought they were an authority figure because they were junior crossing guards

Back