Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Flames 6 Red Wings 3 Final

I should not the Wings point total from last season when normalizing for old scoring systems:

57 PTS pre OTL point
70 PTS with OTL point

That would be the worst Wings season since 85-6 when they recorded a mere 40 points in 80 games.

The GMs love the loser point it helps inflate their standings which inturn helps them retain their positions.

But pre OTL was the tie - same one point. Right? So the wins in OT would have been one, and losses in OT would be ties. Since we had more 1 point OTL than 2 point OTW 57 might not be so accurate. Maybe you already concluded that.

Last edited:
Every SOW was counted as a tie.

OTL was counted as a 0 for old school and as 1 for post 1999 formula.

Detroit record 2016-17:
Wins (Regulation+OT): 24
Losses (Regulation): 36
Overtime Losses: 13
Shootout Wins: 9 *Counted as tie
Shootout Losses: 0 *Counted as tie

Old school:
Wins*2 + Ties
24*2 + 9 = 48 + 9 = 57

Overtime Inflated
Wins*2 + Ties + Overtimes Losses
24*2 + 9 +17 = 57 +13 = 70

I am a firm believer in the 3 point system.

Every game is worth same number of points hence no inflation.

Regulation Win: 3 points
OT/SO Win: 2 points
OT/SO Loss: 1 point
Regulation Win: 0 points

Every game would be worth 3 points. Additionally it gives teams an incentive to play for the win.

I am a firm believer in the 3 point system.

Every game is worth same number of points hence no inflation.

Regulation Win: 3 points
OT/SO Win: 2 points
OT/SO Loss: 1 point
Regulation Win: 0 points

Every game would be worth 3 points. Additionally it gives teams an incentive to play for the win.

Don't they already have an incentive to play for the win? Plus I'm not a big fan of changing the scoring system again.

If the game is tied late in 3rd, teams have an incentive to sit back and take it to OT to guarantee a point.

Back