Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 12-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
you mean like Bill Clinton? You do realize the only reason Franken and Conyers were sacrificed was so that the Democrats could claim the moral high ground like you're attempting to do here. If there was any risk either of those candidates would be replaced with a Republican, no way in hell they're pressured to step down.
That's what I said 3 weeks ago in the Al Franken thread.

I also think the reverse holds in a lot of cases. People defending Moore don't actually give a crap about him. It's a proxy defense of Trump.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Gulo Blue; 12-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Okay, there has hardly been consensus support among Republicans for Moore.

Pretty much, what is known as the Republican "establishment" has been calling for Moore to concede the nomination to a different Republican.

As far as I know, Moore's Republican support comes primarily from the shameless Commander in Chief.

EDIT:

Republicans Call on Moore to Step Aside
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/u...ald-trump.html

RNC fully funding his campaign and election bid.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/u...ald-trump.html

RNC fully funding his campaign and election bid.
The article is a lot more about Trump than the RNC; also, the article describes a last minute reversal of the RNC's previous stance on distancing itself from Moore at the behest of the president, in contrast with what is described as the Republican establishment, ostensibly led by the highest ranking elected Republican after the president, senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell:

"Yet Mr. Trump disregarded, and irritated, some of his more cautious advisers on Monday in prompting the R.N.C. to restore get-out-the-vote funds to Mr. Moore, according to one Republican in contact with the president. The Senate Republican campaign arm, which is controlled by Mr. McConnell, had no plans to offer financial help to Mr. Moore, officials said."

Nowhere in the article does the verbiage "fully funded" or "fully funding" appear.

The article doesn't get into the details of to what degree of significance the restoration of the get out the vote funds is or isn't.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
The article is a lot more about Trump than the RNC; also, the article describes a last minute reversal of the RNC's previous stance on distancing itself from Moore at the behest of the president, in contrast with what is described as the Republican establishment, ostensibly led by the highest ranking elected Republican after the president, senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell:

"Yet Mr. Trump disregarded, and irritated, some of his more cautious advisers on Monday in prompting the R.N.C. to restore get-out-the-vote funds to Mr. Moore, according to one Republican in contact with the president. The Senate Republican campaign arm, which is controlled by Mr. McConnell, had no plans to offer financial help to Mr. Moore, officials said."

Nowhere in the article does the verbiage "fully funded" or "fully funding" appear.

The article doesn't get into the details of to what degree of significance the restoration of the get out the vote funds is or isn't.
Fully funded as in the same amount they were giving prior to all the bullshit, probably worded that poorly.

As far as Republicans calling for him to back out, there were many that did but also quite a few that waffled with a "We'll see what happens" statement. A quick Google search brought up flaccid responses from Capito, Johnson, Corker, and Cotton to whether they supported Moore or not. I'm sure there were more but I didn't go beyond the first page.

It's not unanimous support, but Moore still has plenty. And saying "Oh, it's just Trump" and not the GOP is disingenuous. He represents them, for better or worse. Unless all of those #notmypresident lines were from the GOP this whole time, then that's my mistake.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #45

conjecture I've read is that the GOP is just backing Moore as far as the election, and the senate is already planning to expel him over ethics issues as soon as he's elected. then the Republican governor of Alabama can appoint a more... uh... normal (?) GOP stooge to replace him for the remainder of the term.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
conjecture I've read is that the GOP is just backing Moore as far as the election, and the senate is already planning to expel him over ethics issues as soon as he's elected. then the Republican governor of Alabama can appoint a more... uh... normal (?) GOP stooge to replace him for the remainder of the term.
That's also what I've gathered. Several GOP members have even stated that they expect the ethics committee to trash him. I still just don't see how that one, half term seat is valuable enough to tarnish your party with such a scumbag.

Last edited by sggatecl; 12-12-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
That's also what I've gathered. Several GOP members have even stated that they expect the ethics committee to trash him. I still just don't see how that one, half term seat is valuable enough to tarnish your party with such a scumbag.
1. for some not-insignificant portion of voters (and even more so among white voters in Alabama), if the end result is "owning teh libs" ALL means to that end are justified.

2. another portion of voters won't remember who Roy Moore was by the next election cycle.

1. + 2. >>>> the number of votes GOP loses by supporting a creep like Moore. and 2020 is basically another epoch to most voters.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #48

Such a catchy song written by the Allman Bros, for such a poor state. One would think that it, along with its sister red states of the deep South, would have under mostly Republican leadership, gradually become socioeconomic powerhouses, since the populace switched majority party in the late 60s. They are also a fed tax recipient state, getting more funds returned than were collected. After all, what the GOP has long believed in and has boasted about, is that their policies, planks, and platforms, being best for Murka, should also be demonstrably effective on smaller scales, in state forms.

Alabama Has the Worst Poverty in the Developed World, U.N. Official Says

http://www.newsweek.com/alabama-un-p...-racism-743601

Last edited by turok; 12-12-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
That's what I said 3 weeks ago in the Al Franken thread.

I also think the reverse holds in a lot of cases. People defending Moore don't actually give a crap about him. It's a proxy defense of Trump.
Agreed and just to clarify, I'm not saying Republicans are doing the right thing with Moore. As sgg says, the seats really only at risk for a couple years - that's two years of abortion on demand "yay" votes but still only 2 years.

I'm also not saying Dems are doing the right thing with Franken and Conyers - this whole trend of guilty until proven innocent is bit disturbing. Maybe in the end, the taint of the accusations is enough to make cleaning house the better option but it seems it's all court of public opinion with no actual due process at all. I believe Al Franken is a horrible human being who got his seat through voter fraud but I don't think he should lose his seat for something he's not actually guilty of - and maybe he is guilty, but is he getting a chance to defend himself? Conyers has a couple settlements with accusers which makes his case pretty tough.

Last edited by Spartanmack; 12-12-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
Sounds interesting but I doubt it. The Senate ethics committee is completely toothless which is why at first, Senate Dems called for an ethics committee investigation of Franken and why he agreed to it. They haven't punished anyone (not even a censure) in over 9 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ears/79704196/