Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 NFC Playoff Thread

Hopefully Quinn can build a young core and retain most of his picks. GMs have ultimately been the downfall of this team for the last two decades. Lack of quality homegrown talent is not going to lead to success, can’t all be done through FA/trades. 2013 was OK, but coming away with little to nothing from a draft after only a few years hurts, like 2012 (only Whitehead left) and 2015 (Ameer, Diggs, Robinson left). I know this is still mostly a Mayhew issue, but we’ll have to see how 16 and 17 look in the coming seasons.

Fun fact: Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green got cut from the CFL.

Last edited:
The Lions have not won many games at home this year, I am not confidant they will beat the Bears Saturday.

IMO Jim Bob Caldwell are just another round of coaches in Detroit whom coach not to lose, this will not due in Detroit. We need a coaching staff whom understands that in Detroit with this Franchise there is NOTHING TO LOSE. When and if we ever get that we'll finally have the right mind set needed here to take it to the next level, until then it's just more of the same ol' Lions, always just enough to keep hope alive but never enough to actually arrive at that place called hope. Always next year never this year.

Last edited:
The Lions have not won many games at home this year, I am not confidant they will beat the Bears Saturday.

IMO Jim Bob Caldwell are just another round of coaches in Detroit whom coach not to lose, this will not due in Detroit. We need a coaching staff whom understands that in Detroit with this Franchise there is NOTHING TO LOSE. When and if we ever get that we'll finally have the right mind set needed here to take it to the next level, until then it's just more of the same ol' Lions, always just enough to keep hope alive but never enough to actually arrive at that place called hope. Always next year never this year.

That's always been the problem with Caldwell. If we get a 7 point or even a 14 point lead the mentality is not how do we make sure we score again on the next drive. It's how do we milk the clock and then punt it back and let our defense try and not blow the lead.

I don't think Caldwell is a good coach. That being said, if the Lions win 10 games and miss the playoffs, don't you think he did a good job? Most reasonable people think the Lions are a mediocre team (talent wise). If they are a mediocre team but win 10 games don't you think the coaching must have been above average?

Even if they win 10 games, the case is still very strong that poor coaching kept them from winning more. 9 men on the field, 10 men on the field, and many slow starts due to shit game planning...an argument could be made that this team won 10 games (on an easy schedule, no doubt) in spite of Caldwell.

Last edited:
Hopefully Quinn can build a young core and retain most of his picks. GMs have ultimately been the downfall of this team for the last two decades. Lack of quality homegrown talent is not going to lead to success, can?t all be done through FA/trades. 2013 was OK, but coming away with little to nothing from a draft after only a few years hurts, like 2012 (only Whitehead left) and 2015 (Ameer, Diggs, Robinson left). I know this is still mostly a Mayhew issue, but we?ll have to see how 16 and 17 look in the coming seasons.

Fun fact: Chris Greenwood and Jonte Green got cut from the CFL.

Did the CFL not realize he's the next Richard Sherman?

It's all about playoff wins. 10-6 means nothing. The sooner they realize this the better off we'll be.

I can give you my opinion this way.

I think a guy like Brian Hoyer is a league average QB. He's better than the worst 3-5 starters in the league but not nearly as good as the good QB's

If Hoyer starts 16 games for the 2017 Detroit Lions.....I think we finish 5-11, maybe 6-10. The defense has played well at times, and won us a couple games. We aren't terrible. A good QB SHOULD be worth 3-5 victories/year. I think ours is.

My guess is we finish 9-7. I think we are on the cusp of having a 11-12 win roster......I just do NOT believe we have the coaching staff that would allow us to get there. So IF we do win 10 games.....I'll give 50% of the credit to Stafford, 25% to Austin, 20% to Quinn for a deeper roster than years past, and 5% to Caldwell for not showing up to games naked and drunk.

This team is still at the point of losing to good teams and beating crappy one's.... if we finish at 10 wins its because we played more bad teams than good and sprinkle in a couple good wins. In my opinion our schedule had more to do with our win % than our coach. I do give Stafford allot of credit... him having a good game is almost a direct correlation with winning the game. Unfortunately him having a bad game almost all but guarantees a fat L. We can improve next year by leaps and bounds, play a tougher schedule and be an 8 win team. If your coach cant influence that... then get a new one.

I'm with you... Even if we do back into the playoffs again we need to make a coaching change asap.

I'm with you... Even if we do back into the playoffs again we need to make a coaching change asap.

We wouldn't back in. Lions would win 4 in a row to get in

Caldwell playoffs 3 of 4 season (only 6 or 7 teams will have done this)

Lions need to beat Bears
Pack over Carolina. Only time to root for Packers
Bengals over Vikings (really unlikely)
Rams over Seattle (in Seattle but Rams can do it)
Bucs over Falcons (unlikely)
Jets over Saints (unlikely)
Raiders over Cowboys with Elliot back

Lions need to beat Bears

LKP is wrong -- Elliot is not back vs. Raiders.

The only team that worries about other teams in back of ya. Why worry about Dallas?

Lions need to beat Bears

Stop comparing the Lions to the Lions. Making the playoffs as a wild card in those 3 years doesn't mean a fucking thing.

Yeah, he has a slightly above average record. He hasn't beaten anyone or accomplished anything. His tenure is no different than the Lions have ever been. The team has good spikes here and there, but otherwise are just mired in garbage.

Updated after the early games

Tiebreaker thread still coming, thought it would be easier to do after week 15's games

Now that Marvin Lewis is leaving after the season they're probably want to win for him and it'll be a tough game vs a shitty Bengals team..

Best comment I saw today in the firing thread:
"15 seasons without winning a playoff… looks like he’ll be my Lions next head coach…."

The Lions' unlikely NFC North title hopes were officially ended with Minnesota's win over Cincinnati on Sunday. The Lions have not won a division title since 1993. Detroit still has a 20 percent chance to make the playoffs entering the 4 p.m. games, according to fivethirtyeight.com, but almost all of those scenarios involve other games around the league falling in certain ways and the Lions beating Cincinnati and Green Bay the last two weeks of the year. Based off a few scenarios run through the ESPN Playoff Machine, the Panthers-Falcons result in Week 17 could be a massive game for whether or not Detroit reaches the postseason even if it wins out.

Not sure that helps us. We need to a 3 way tie, most likely - us, Seattle, and Atlanta. I this this makes it harder for a 3-way tie.

Here are the potential 3-way ties at 10-6 with Seattle:

Carolina & Seattle - Conference record eliminates Carolina, Detroit wins common games over Seattle

New Orleans & Seattle - Same as Carolina

Atlanta & Seattle - Atlanta wins head-to-head sweep

Seattle going 10-6 greatly helps the Lions chances, as long as Atlanta is not involved

Back