Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spotlight (2015)

Do we know for certain that he and his 12 disciples weren't one of many that just started a for profit religion? Doing trick miracles to get people to give money to the church? I don't know, but it has been done throughout history.

according to my dad, the fact that the church is still around and people read the bible proves it was true.

no, he never studied logic, in school. why do you ask?

according to my dad, the fact that the church is still around and people read the bible proves it was true.

I don't know...it seems that many churches are more interested in making money than anything else.

I don't know...it seems that many churches are more interested in making money than anything else.

Religious leader is the world's second oldest profession.

Warlord/raider/plunderer is the oldest.

Contrary to the adage prostitution is not the world's profession.

It doesn't make sense.

If the original johns didn't have jobs how did they pay the original prostitutes?

That sacred scripture is pretty old, no chance he had a change of heart about anything at all? I mean he's as old as the universe, how reasonable is it to assume that all his ideas and thoughts would be limited to such a tiny fraction of time?

Time is not a consideration of God. So your question is moot.

Also to go back to the post I quoted earlier, you say Christ picked 12 men, but how do you know he didn't just pick the 12 best people, and the fact they were men was irrelevant?

Clearly you are not familiar with the Gospels.

would he still be Jewish himself though, or like, grandfathered into to being a Christian? there are a lot of practical questions to sort through.

If I were a Christian, and a Catholic theologian - which I'm neither; still, I have fun playing these sort of academic what if games - I would postulate that Jesus actually became a Christian in his lifetime, when John the Baptist baptized him.

Later he would initiate the Christian/Catholic sacrament of Communion.

I don't know if the walking on the water stuff, or the raising from the dead or the healing of cripples or the turning the water into wine or the masses fish sandwiches really represents any sacraments. I don't know; maybe some early Pope got the holy water idea from the walking on the water stuff.

So I'll stick with the two - baptism, and communion.

I do know that McDonalds has a discount on fish sandwiches Fridays during Lent.

Monster sent me a link about 1831 pope Gregory how he wanted street lamps banned. Something to do with night and day. Just Little things the church has gotten wrong throughout the centuries. But covering up child pedophiles has to be the the worst.

Spartans!? Fuck that, I want to be on the side of God. Tar Heels for life.

In all seriousness, I grew up a Michigan fan because my family rooted for them. When they decided my 4.0 gpa and 33 ACT. (where was my white male privilege then?) wasn't good enough for their architecture program, I was pretty bitter for a while. If Sparty was going to hook me as a college football fan, 2002-2006 was their best shot. Alas, John L Smith happened and I was accepted to Michigan's masters program in 2007, right as Dantonio was hired. Funny how it worked out.

allegiances are usually established well before grad school. I grew up an ND fan because my dad and all his brothers went there but I jumped ship pretty much the moment I stepped on campus. I don't even follow the the Maroons at all but granted, had been a Spartan fan for about 13 years by the time I enrolled at UofC.

Monster sent me a link about 1831 pope Gregory how he wanted street lamps banned. Something to do with night and day.

It's a bit more involved than that. I'll leave it to you to determine the entire story.

Just Little things the church has gotten wrong throughout the centuries. But covering up child pedophiles has to be the the worst.

Yes, it was.

And I'll offer this from the same Pope, written in 1839: "We warn and adjure earnestly in the Lord faithful Christians of every condition that no one in the future dare to vex anyone, despoil him of his possessions, reduce to servitude, or lend aid and favour to those who give themselves up to these practices, or exercise that inhuman traffic by which the Blacks, as if they were not men but rather animals, having been brought into servitude, in no matter what way, are, without any distinction, in contempt of the rights of justice and humanity, bought, sold, and devoted sometimes to the hardest labour."

Monster sent me a link about 1831 pope Gregory how he wanted street lamps banned. Something to do with night and day.

Here's a link about that; I don't know if it's the same one or not.

Here's the flaw in that logic-if God had wanted us to be completely in the dark at night, then He wouldn't have given us the moon or the stars, and he wouldn't have early on taught Noah how to make and put up fire torches to see by at night so he could go about building that Ark around the clock so he could have it built by the rainy season (if you've seen the movie with Russel Crowe you'll know what I'm talking about).

So what more is the gas lamp than a technological extension of the fire torch?

If God hadn't wanted us to develop technology he wouldn't have given us opposable thumbs or the ability to engage in critical thinking.

That's how I see it anyway.

So the Fourth Commandment perhaps never took with you. Not good, if so.

what do you mean?

I've never killed my neighbor's wife while taking The Lord's name in vain.

I don't really get it either - the fourth commandment is about resting on the Sabbath, and if you have any servants, they have to rest too.

Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV.

Really, it looks like it's pretty much primarily for Jews, anyway.

So maybe you should be resting on Saturday, according to this.

Last edited:
what do you mean?

I've never killed my neighbor's wife while taking The Lord's name in vain.

The Fourth Commandment: Honor thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be long-lived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee. EDIT: They are divided differently, and this is the Catholic interpretation:

1 I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Last edited:
The Fourth Commandment: Honor thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be long-lived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee.

Yeah, Mr. Bible Study, I'm not quite as versed in scripture as you are, but I'm pretty sure the father and mother one is the 5th Comandment.

4th Commandment is about the whole Sabbath thing.

EDIT: Oh, I see...so in your edit in #54 you're saying the Catholic list flips the order around a little...? Okay, gotcha.

Last edited:
Yeah, Mr. Bible Study, I'm not quite as versed in scripture as you are, but I'm pretty sure the father and mother one is the 5th Comandment.

4th Commandment is about the whole Sabbath thing.

EDIT: Oh, I see...so in your edit in #54 you're saying the Catholic list flips the order around a little...? Okay, gotcha.

Isn't the 4th commandment the reason we can't get a chick-fil-A sandwich on Sunday?

The Fourth Commandment: Honor thy father and thy mother, that thou mayest be long-lived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee. EDIT: They are divided differently, and this is the Catholic interpretation:

1 I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Sorry you're wrong.

Nine and ten in your list are part of the same commandment.

You completely left out the whole graven image thing.

Maybe the Catholic Church has just deleted that one because the church loves graven images so much, I don't know.

I seem to remember the whole graven image thing from my catholic upbringing, though.

Always found it kind of paradoxical; I would post a pick of the Ceiling of the Sistene Chapel at the Vatican but I'm pretty sure everybody has already seen one.

EDIT: Check that, found a good one.
SistineChapelGodandAdam2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry you're wrong.

Nine and ten in your list are part of the same commandment.

You completely left out the whole graven image thing.

Maybe the Catholic Church has just deleted that one because the church loves graven images so much, I don't know.

I seem to remember the whole graven image thing from my catholic upbringing, though.

Always found it kind of paradoxical; I would post a pick of the Ceiling of the Sistene Chapel at the Vatican but I'm pretty sure everybody has already seen one.

EDIT: Check that, found a good one.
SistineChapelGodandAdam2.jpg

I'm not wrong, St. Augustine is. And he's not.

Back