Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #21
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Sorry, was at work so couldn't respond right away.

Now I can, and I'll start with this to the bold type of your post: Horseshit.

I respect the men and women who have served/serve our country in the military....make no mistake about that, but you are out of your fucking mind if you think that's any reason we have the NFL and million dollar athletes, celebs, etc. Freedom in this country has not been threatened by outside forces for well over 100 years. No nation on earth could or can invade us and take these freedoms away. Our military does have a rich history of fighting for freedom though, such as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, but it hasn't been our freedom at stake for a long time, because that is secure at least to the point that the only way it can be taken away is by the officials we elected, who could do it by passing laws, in which case the military could do nothing about it anyways.

So you can believe that protesting players are disrespecting the people of the armed services if you like, you can even believe that without our military there would be no millionaire players or sporting events, and you can believe that the moon is made of cheese, because that's your right, even when you're wrong.
well said.

We live in a country that labels labor reform movements in 3rd world places "terrorists" and sends in the marines and CIA to murder them, all so Dole can profit off of selling us cheap bananas, or Coca Cola can increase its market share. That's "freedom." For most of our military history, stories like those are "why we fight."

not only is it absurd to claim kneeling for the national anthem "dishonors" our troops... it's absurd to remain ignorant of our own history and believe this apple pie, flag-waving nonsense.
__________________
"...Killer Mike has never killed anybody. It's just, he's a killer rapper."
- Bernie Sanders



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
No nation on earth could or can invade us and take these freedoms away.
Isn't this true because we have the most powerful military on earth?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.
what false rage do you see white people showing for minorities? are you talking about the .008% of the population in white supremacist groups?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
Isn't this true because we have the most powerful military on earth?
"The Americans are a very lucky people. They're bordered to the north and south by weak neighbors, and to the east and west by fish."
- Otto von Bismarck

He also said: "God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."

our advantages have been mostly geographic & economic, and luck as well, I according to Bismarck. it was lucky our aircraft carriers weren't at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked.

no one has been able to bomb us or invade us due to geography. no nation in history has been able to build a navy big enough to transport an army big enough to cross an entire ocean and occupy the US. even during the Revolutionary War, the UK could only occupy a couple coastal cities.

after WWII, when everyone else's economies were in ruins, we accounted for half the world's economy. that's only how our current dominance arose. and it's being eroded because we're spending more than we should maintaining our military instead of building our economy, infrastructure, manufacturing capacity, etc.
__________________
"...Killer Mike has never killed anybody. It's just, he's a killer rapper."
- Bernie Sanders
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
believe me, I'm with you. What I meant was they are offending a bunch of people so they might have to pay the consequences of their actions (like not having a job like Kaepernick)
That's a point. Speach is protected from government cencorship, not employer cencorship.
__________________
Go Blue!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
what false rage do you see white people showing for minorities? are you talking about the .008% of the population in white supremacist groups?
here's one (1) example: link.

so much stupidity there... and from a state supreme court judge, no less.

For starters, who goes to preseason NFL games? what a loser.

and if you think this is an isolated opinion, view the comments on any given article about this story.
__________________
"...Killer Mike has never killed anybody. It's just, he's a killer rapper."
- Bernie Sanders
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
That's a point. Speach is protected from government cencorship, not employer cencorship.
fire your editor.
__________________
"...Killer Mike has never killed anybody. It's just, he's a killer rapper."
- Bernie Sanders
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #28
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
Isn't this true because we have the most powerful military on earth?
yes it is, but this argument is merely a distraction. the greatest threat to our liberties at the moment comes from within.

the reason these guys should respect the anthem is because the reasons they are protesting are all bullshit. America is not a fundamentally racist country. There is no epidemic of police brutality. Minority people aren't under attack or being targeted by white people or anyone else. It's all unsupported, factually inaccurate nonsense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #29
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.
that's exactly right. I think "offended" was a poor choice of words. It's perfectly rational for someone to decide they're not going to support a product like the NFL because it's being hijacked by politics, particularly misinformed nonsense like the BLM agenda.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #30
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
here's one (1) example: link.

so much stupidity there... and from a state supreme court judge, no less.

For starters, who goes to preseason NFL games? what a loser.

and if you think this is an isolated opinion, view the comments on any given article about this story.
I don't see anything racial about that but lets assume you're not wrong (big leap), let me correct my previous post. it should read .00800000001%.

Last edited by Spartanmack; 08-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.